Discussion How Have Novels Changed Your Life?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Deleted member 310942, Apr 23, 2021.

1. Deleted member 310942

Deleted member 310942 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    I haven't realized until recently, but novels changed my life drastically. Both negatively and positively, actually. Reading novels helped me expand my horizons and probably helped me in reading people and reading myself a little. I'm still an ignorant little teen, but if there's one thing that novels taught me, it's that there's always more than one side to a story. Positively, my ideals, thoughts, and beliefs have changed for the better and have expanded more. I'm rather flexible and sensitive towards my behavior. Negatively, I tend to get distracted easily when I come across a novel I like. Sometimes I can't tell reality from fiction apart, and it tends to tear at me. I also realized that I probably wouldn't last a month without novels... And that scares me. I'm the type of person to run away from reality, the type that wants to run away from their own self. We're all characters of our own stories, right? We may be the hero in someone's story, and a villain in another's. Novels slapped in my face the fact that the world isn't as black and white as I initially believed. Poor 7 year old self, how pitiful and ignorant...

2. UnGrave

UnGrave ななひ~^^

Reading List:
    Link
    I found reading to be incredibly helpful in being able to observe my own actions in life. I was able to view myself properly as a character and understand my flaws in how I did things. I was also able to see other people as unchangeable NPC's in my life, thus making it a lot harder for me to hold anything against anyone or to really blame anyone for things that go wrong.

3. Raven Evernight

Raven Evernight But they never just accepted me for the way I was…

Reading List:
    Link
    After reading novels on cultivation I was enlightened on the true path and have started cultivating diligently for many years now in a fe more days I shall face a lightning tribulation if a survive that would mean novels have helped me on the path of immortality

4. Bachingchung

Bachingchung Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Movies and tv series seems so slow in comparison that I feel so bored watching them now. I didn't have any great epiphanies or wondrous change in personality because of a novel, it just ruined a lot of things for me.

MMWO and Deleted member 310942 like this.
  5. ExcitableFoci

ExcitableFoci Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The only thing books have given me is an addiction lul.

Deleted member 310942 likes this.
  6. Deleted member 310942

Deleted member 310942 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    I can barely watch an anime without wanting to skip through the episodes . It's unbearable!! On the other hand, I've read so much novels, that I can predict almost everything. Plot twist who? I can't watch a movie and get surprised anymore. sigh

Dumb Lilly likes this.
  7. FIEND

FIEND i eat crayons

Reading List:
    Link

I just laughed so fucking hard at u critizing ur 7 yo self
    Wait till u hit 24 and ur critizing ur current age lmfao

I think anything under 15 isnt worth critique . Ur just a kid learning ropes of the world

Anime did that for me at ur age. And honestly novels later on

8. MMWO

MMWO *pout*

Reading List:
    Link
    It's a great distraction for me. It's very fun but I love it too much that I neglect the more important things in my life *sigh* (〒﹏〒)

9. Jevanka926

Jevanka926 Grumpy and Awkward <3

Reading List:
    Link
    I have no idea. I don't really think books change me. But my family might tell you otherwise. So, yeah. I've got no clue

Sigh... Same here. I always get distracted or neglecting my other things whenever I read something

10. KhayDesu

KhayDesu ❀Rᴇᴀᴅιɴԍ Eɴтнusιᴀsт❀ | ★ᴅᴇsu~★ | ✿Loquᴀcιous✿『☕』

Reading List:
    Link
    Same, novels have become a major part of my life until 3 years ago it was me just lazing around surfing SNS sites, Youtube, and games basically. I remember i started reading cuz i couldn't afford to watch anime with the limited data i had and i was pretty down in the dumps back then, Student life, my friends, studies, my family all sorts of problems popping out and resulting in me getting depressed for a while. I still remember the first WN I've read which was Death March To The Parallel Worl Rhapsody which was perfect for my state back then, Comedy, Slice of Life, Super Powers was the perfect combo to ease up my depressed state and help me push forward. Oh before i talk more about 'how LN/WN changed me' i've read a lot of western work from Authors like Mark Twain, Anne Rice, Stephen King, Rick Riordan, Jeff Kinney, Paulo Coelcho etc.
    ~
    For me reading Novels has helped me expand in my views, beliefs, and knowledge. I've always liked novels aimed at younger audiences because i can relate to easier than most novels i read, I like reading novels about School-Life and Human Relations like Oregairu, Bottom Tier Character Tomozaki-kun etc. I can always learn a thing or 2 whenever i read novels like the ones i mentioned above. I also like reading novels for the purpose of escaping reality I like putting myself in the shoes of the characters I read, see the things that they see, feel the things they feel and emphatize and ask myself 'if it was myself what would i do in that situation?' it really helps me be at ease and gives me the confidence to push forward as those characters that i've read.

11. Saorihirai

Saorihirai Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    For me, I've always been reading books ever since I was...well ever since I could read lol. I think what really "changed" or I guess has influenced me was manga when I was around 15. That's when I first started reading a lot of manga. When I first read op, (and I still do) it influenced me a lot, regardless of what people have to say about it. I read that Oda wrote Luffy as his ideal child and honestly I couldn't agree more.

Obv he is not 100% realistic (it's fiction afterall and his traits are exaggerated) but I too strongly believe in a lot of stuff he has done. (Also him not killing anyone is just so Oda can reuse characters lol. His words not mine.You have to always take into account op is a fictional shounen world so don't confuse reality with fiction) Op coincides with my personal beliefs as well so I always strongly resonated with op. And other manga have influenced me here and there, given me new perspectives, uk. When I was younger, I used to get carried with the beliefs of different manga and get confused, (I was young and always confusing fiction and reality. Some may argue philosophers bank on that with all their theoretical thought experiments) but now I'm able to look at all them with my own beliefs firmly.

I think regardless of medium, fiction is such a fabulous thing. There is so much to be learned and loved in the world of fiction and human imagination, that it's essentially endless.

12. CadmarLegend

CadmarLegend one and a two and a bing bang boo!

Reading List:
    Link
    I got invested into fantasy. Became a chunni as a teen. I'm still a chunni at heart...

But, well, they help me escape the world, you know? Like, a world where nothing bad's happening — well, the characters may have a bad event happening but don't think about it — just helps cope with the world.

13. Agentt

Agentt Loves cats and pats and my wife

Reading List:
    Link
    I believe they have greatly increased my communication skills and gave me a filter to filter out friends from acquainted

14. lazykitty_99

lazykitty_99 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I was very idealistic/naive/believed in kindness for evil (last one due to religion) person with a very low eq now I could say my eq has increased and I could understand other malicious intentions/hidden meaning in people words and actions .
    Also my horizons have expanded and I have became more realistic.
    Novels also made me realize that "toxic" relationships aren't love ,they should be abandoned.
    Also what to look in a relationship and a partner . (Due to daily soaps I actually believed that all misunderstanding, cold violence and many toxic behavior makes love strong).
    Due to some strong leads I started loving myself more .
    In the end I got novel addiction.