Discussion How high does a fever have to be before you consider seeing a doctor..?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Westeller, Nov 20, 2017.

?

How high can you go?

1. 38°C / 100.4°F

20.0%
  2. 39°C / 102.2°F

32.7%
  3. 40°C / 104°F

32.7%
  4. 41°C / 105.8°F

8.2%
  5. 42°C / 107.6°F

3.6%
  6. 43°C / 109.4°F

1.8%
  7. 44°C / 111.2°F

1.8%
  8. 45°C / 113°F

2.7%
  9. Wait, at some point this would kill you, right?...

21.8%
  10. Fuck it, I'd rather die.

18.2%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. AwwGasm

AwwGasm Knows some things.

Reading List:
    Link
    Well at most it's $15ish. Between dengue, ebola, whatever animal flu, I'd rather not risk.

Sky Farrow likes this.
  2. Truerror

Truerror Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    High fevers are easily handled even with OTC medicines. Paracetamol would do the trick, which is why you should keep these medicines in your home for emergency. My last fever was a bit over 39 degree Celcius. Paracetamol and a lot of liquid intake helped keep it down, although I did go to a doctor after around a week of returning fever.

Weird story: I went to two different doctors and took three lab tests for basically the same thing. First test led the first doctor diagnosing me with dengue fever. Second test led the second doctor to diagnose me with typhoid, and the third test seemed to confirm the second test (and therefore invalidates the first one). However, the thing is, even though I had two tests confirming that I had typhoid, the symptoms themselves were really close to dengue fever. Things like the fever completely stopping after around seven days, some small reddish dots (not very visible though) on my skin, and the symptoms (well, just the fever actually) disappearing after that seven days even though I took no antibiotics.

I don't know. Perhaps @Yukkuri Oniisan can enlighten us?

Last edited: Nov 20, 2017
  3. Nargol

Nargol Evangelist. Candy-san. Pope of the Cult of Pyoo

Reading List:
    Link
    Shit, I'll go as soon as my nose starts running

free healthcare bitches

AliceShiki, Sky Farrow and Westeller like this.
  4. Dolfitos

Dolfitos 『Kingsize』 『Jason of N.U.F』

Reading List:
    Link
    The higher I ever got was 40 degree Celsius and boy oh boy, I was pretty much half dead at that point.

5. ElTorroLoco

ElTorroLoco [Christmas spiritbun][Left Hand of Sordahon]

Reading List:
    Link
    Im special :sushi_dead:

AliceShiki likes this.
  6. MasterCuddler

MasterCuddler Handsome Chicken

Reading List:
    Link
    If I feel like shit then off to the doctor I go

7. Tramsloof

Tramsloof Quarter Erudite

Reading List:
    Link
    It's all about the symptoms and my condition.

Say for eg if fever comes on its own and leaves on its own, and this keeps happening. I need a doctor.

Or the fever has triggered high enough headaches, forcing me to freeze because if I move a little, the headache will just kill me.

The funny thing is, there is a hospital just beside my house, at least its back entrance which is reserved for the VIPS and I am fully qualified to use it, I can also instantly skip any Que and have direct access to all the doctors and have everything done in for free, or almost free at most.

AliceShiki likes this.
  8. erichninja

erichninja Don’t think about it

Reading List:
    Link
    Go if you see 4 of them

Slayerwolfx2 likes this.
  9. ABMAINA

ABMAINA ★☆☆☆☆

Reading List:
    Link
    Slayerwolfx2, Das, AliceShiki and 3 others like this.
  10. erichninja

erichninja Don’t think about it

Reading List:
    Link
    AliceShiki likes this.
  11. Ai chan

Ai chan Queen of Yuri, Devourer of Traps, Thrusted Witch

Reading List:
    Link
    My ex girlfriend swiped my last thermometer. However, I apparently don't need it because neither me or Waiwai get sick. This from two girls who enjoy going nude the entire time at home. If you eat well, sleep well and don't wear constrictive clothes all the time, you'll be as fit a fiddle the entire time. Eating curry almost daily helps greatly. My favourite is beef curry, though chicken curry is my second favourite. As for fish curry, I only like the curry itself, not the fish. The texture of fish curry is often very unique and thick. I guess maybe fish dissolves well in curry compared to beef or chicken? I remember the time when I was sick in my youth, my mom cooked me chicken curry because she sold chicken curry that day. So after a period of increased heat (from the curry) where I sweated a lot, I recovered. No medicine required. Curry is all the medicine you need. Now, please don't mistake curry with this worthless dietitian curry that they'd suggest to you 'for health'. No, just no. Most of the time the recipes suggested by your average dietitian would be counterproductive. What you need is pure, original, traditional, curry. The curry with turmerics, chillis, and a heap of coconut milk. This is what you need. Eat real curry everyday and you will say, "Fever? Is that more delicious than curry?"

So yeah, I'd say instead of going to the doctor, go eat curry. Everyday. For the rest of your life. It's good for you. Eat it proudly. It will save your life. If someone ask you what your breakfast will be, say curry. Lunch? Curry. Dinner? Curry. You must eat curry. That is the single most healthy food created by mankind. Everything better were created by nature.

But if I have to absolutely say at which point I would go see the doctor, I guess until I faint. Even so, nothing a good sleep can't heal.

AliceShiki and Westeller like this.
  12. Westeller

Westeller Smokin' Sexy Style!! Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Wellp, I'm convinced. Curry is like the best thing since @Ai chan became a goddess. :aww:

... Or is it since @Arcturus became a Cactus? :blobunsure:

AliceShiki and Ai chan like this.
  13. Ai chan

Ai chan Queen of Yuri, Devourer of Traps, Thrusted Witch

Reading List:
    Link
    @Cacturus definitely needs more curry. He isn't getting his weekly dose of curry. His cactus thorns need the nutrients.

AliceShiki likes this.
  14. Arcturus

Arcturus Cat, Hidden Sith Lord

Reading List:
    Link
    ...Go make love with your cacti elsewhere Cactus Lady and her consort.

AliceShiki and asriu like this.
  15. little king

little king Ruler of Sloth [Neko-form]

Reading List:
    Link
    Atleast 39 degrees for me. . .well only if Vicks VapoRub did not work tho~

16. Lazriser

Lazriser Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm surprisingly disappointed that you didn't fap yourself out of fever.:blob_coughblood:

17. Viola

Viola Studio Ghibli Fanboy Mother of Learning Fanboy

Reading List:
    Link
    You also have to take into account how quickly the fever hits you. If it hits you overnight you should just pay attention to how high the temperature is.
    40 C being the bar for when you should atleast go to a walk in clinic.
    Any higher and the hospital should be forced upon you as 41.5 C contistutes a serious medical emergency.
    Any prolonged amount of time with a fever that high is very likely to cause you permanent damage and if untreated could be... less than stellar for your continued existence to be blunt.

If you wake up feeling relatively fine then during the day you get an explosive fever that sends you up to 40°C you need to see a doctor. In this scenario your body is desperately trying to fight off some serious infection or virus. You need to find out how bad it is. Could be fine but more than likely some med from a doc will ensure you are fine and help manage the fever leaving you in a non delirious state.

If you live alone (like I suspect Ren does) then you should be extra careful. Never leave yourself till the point that you can't leave to get help.
    Anyone who has had truly bad fevers knows that at times trying to get out of bed is as hard as running a full marathon up a mountain. It just won't happen.

All in all, Er on the side of caution.
    I was stubborn once (not with a fever, just massive migraines that screwed with my vision). Refused to see a doc cause "I was fine"... ended being a day away from permanently reduced vision or even blindness.

Always play it safe, never risk it.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2017
  18. Seraphic

Seraphic Uncomfortably close

Reading List:
    Link
    Eh, my parents are best described as "growing up in the boondocks", so going to the hospital was something that seemed to depend more on cheapness of care than severity of illness. One of us once got dengue fever, but we put off going to the hospital for over a week.

19. Kuroihagane

Kuroihagane Investi-gathor

Reading List:
    Link
    For me it's not about how high but how long. If it's been 2 days or more then you have to see a doctor

20. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    Hmmmmm... I usually hate going to the doctor, so... Almost never.

If I spend a whole day with 40°C and it doesn't go down after a medicine, sleep and a bath, then I go to the doctor.

Anything lower than that, I don't even take medicine, I hate medicines.