Discussion How interested would anyone be if someone hypothetically create a roleplaying thread here?

Discussion in 'Gaming Discussion' started by Kyubey, Dec 24, 2015.

?

Are you interested?

1. Yes

29.1%
  2. No

16.4%
  3. Don't care.

54.5%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kyubey

Kyubey 第四ラボメンバー

Reading List:
    Link
    Just a hypothetical question. I am guessing not many would be interested at something like this, but I want to know. A sample would be like this game.
    Edit: Rules copy pasted from that site:
    1.1 What is Werewolf?

There are two basic principles to the game:

1) Two teams, uninformed majority vs informed minority, try to eliminate each other by using two ways of killing off players: lynching and nightkilling.
    2) The game alternates between two phases: days for lynches and nights for nightkilling.

In online BGG WW, there are two methods of keeping track of the time. The standard format uses a 24 hour basis for it's day/night cycle, with dusk (the lynch) taking place at the same time every day, and dawn (the night kill) taking place a short amount of time after. Standard games typically do not function on the weekend or American holidays.
    The fast format takes place on a much more rapid cycle. Normally, a fast game will have a day of 15-30 minutes followed by a night of 5-10 minutes. This allows players to gather for a fast game and finish it in a single evening, instead of the multi-day process that is a standard game. Fast games will run whenever they fill - weekday, weekend, or holiday.

For the purpose of deciding which team wins the game the roles in each (basic) game can be best divided into 3 main categories: Good roles, Max Evil roles and Aux Evil roles.

The standard victory conditions in a game are these:

Team Good wins when all the Max Evil roles are eliminated.

Team Evil wins when the Max Evil roles reach parity with the Good roles plus the Aux Evil roles.

It should be noted that Aux Evil Roles work toward the Evil victory condition while normally counting against Evil parity. It should also be noted that Players may win even if they are eliminated; if their team wins, all eliminated players on that team also win.

1.2 Lynches

During the day phase of a game, every player votes on other players. These votes can be changed as often as a player wants during the day. The player that has received the most votes at dusk (which is the name for the deadline for submitting votes and marks the transition from the day phase to the night phase) will be eliminated and cannot post any messages in the game thread after that point. Voting is done by making a post in the thread that has the username of the player you want to vote for in brackets and bolded, like this: [vote PeteVasi].

During the day phase players are free (and encouraged) to strategize in the thread and post explanations for their votes.

Obviously the Good players (uninformed majority) will try to lynch an Evil player during the day, while the Evil players (informed minority) try to prevent this. This will result in a discussion based on truths, half-truths and lies combined with strategically placed votes. The key is to find out who is telling the truth and who is lying.

In case the lynch vote ends in a tie, a tiebreaker is used to decide who gets lynched. In most games the tiebreaker is given at the start of the game and will usually be LHLV. LHLV stands for Longest Held Last Vote. This means that if 2 or more people tie in number of votes, all votes will be disregarded except for the last vote cast on each of the players tying. Of those votes the one that was cast first in chronological order is the vote that decides the tie. Voting tallies will be kept during each day phase of a game. In these tallies all votes are followed by a unique number. The lower that number is the earlier the vote was cast and thus it will be easy to determine which vote will decide a tie.

As an example:

Melsana - 4 - LudesFactor(4), Gelatinous Goo(9), jageroxorz(13), Spud(15)
    LudesFactor - 4 - kristiefix(2), Whirlinghurly(3), Spud(7), yohanleafheart(11), Melsana(16)
    Valkerie32 - 2 - kuchick(5), Kaldar(10), Geniesse(12)

In this tally Melsana & Ludesfactor have an equal amount of votes (4) and so they tie for lynch. The last vote on Melsana was cast by Spud and has the number 15 following it. The last vote on LudesFactor was cast by Melsana and has the number 16 following it. As explained, the lower the number, the earlier the vote was cast and thus Spud’s vote will decide this tie, meaning Melsana is lynched.

1.3 Nightkills

During the night phases of a game, the max Evil players decide together which of the players they want to kill. The target will be announced at Dawn (the start of the next day phase) and this player cannot post any messages in the game thread after that point.

This day-night cycle will continue until one of the victory conditions is met.

1.4 Communications

In a standard game of BGG Werewolf, Good players and aux Evil players can only communicate in the public thread. Max evil players, in addition to the game thread, will have a secret chatroom (wolfchat) in which they can discuss their strategy and who they want to kill during the night phase.

Every player will have a secret chatroom in which they can ask the moderator questions that they do not want to ask in the public thread. This chatroom is also used to submit orders for those who have them.

It is strictly forbidden for players to contact other players outside of the public thread or the above mentioned chatroom for max Evil players regarding the exchange of information vital to the game in progress. Exceptions to this rule are possible (in case of mason roles) but will be explicitly explained in the rules post for a specific game.

Basically, this is all there is to playing Werewolf. However, learning how to play it well will take some time and lots of experience. There are many different strategies found in Werewolf as well as different types of play. A player could, for instance, focus on analyzing other players' past votes or instead they may play the game entirely based on gut feeling or a combination of the two. Every type of role will also demand a playing style that differs from the next.

1.5 Moderation

A game of werewolf can only function with the help of a moderator. The moderator is a non-player who knows all the roles and carries out the orders that players give during the game. The moderator is also in charge of dawn and dusk and will post the results of the lynches and nightkills in the thread. Usually the moderator is also the one who designed the role set and/or the theme for the game. Some of the more basic games are sometimes moderated through a script instead of a human. These games are called auto-mods. It should be noted that since there is no human moderator present in these games, auto-mods are not optimally suited for new players.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2015
  2. Shio

Shio Moderator Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hmm, I rarely role-play at forum, so i'm not too interested. Pretty sure some will join, but it probably won't move the way you intended them to be. NU ability to twist story is... high.

canaria23, Shion, qzty and 1 other person like this.
  3. FlowingSong

FlowingSong Otome Isekai Reader and Trash ML Hater

Reading List:
    Link
    etoo to be honest fs doesn't really understand what rp-ing is ne ... can someone please explain...
    hmm we can put a serious tag or no hj tag or something like that but the OP MUST LOOK AFTER HIS/HER thread. Otherwise chaos ensues.

Dreizehn and Shio like this.
  4. Ryve16

Ryve16 Working Hard and Hardly Working

Reading List:
    Link
    I wanna be Villager C! That way no one bothers me while i walk a predetermined path around the town

5. Dreizehn

Dreizehn The ghost that watches over you

Reading List:
    Link
    Maybe or maybe not. I'm the type of person who do things on a whim. You also should watch the thread because you know? NUF happens

Novelty and FlowingSong like this.
  6. JEI

JEI The black riding hood, Little white

Reading List:
    Link
    I think I saw something like this in some site which I forgot, they have something like a story and casts? haha okay im not really sure what im saying nya~[/QUOTE]

FlowingSong likes this.
  7. Simon

Simon [The Pure One's Chief Steward][Demon Beast]

Reading List:
    Link
    There is a lot of work involved in this, and they usually fold.

Evilnemesis7 and Dreizehn like this.
  8. FlowingSong

Reading List:
    Link
    "NUF Happens" ahahahahaha like we should have a thread explaining all these words,
    NUF Happens = chaos everywhere, off topic all around, we wish you a merry christmas and your thread is gone and now belongs to us,
    Nuffy = the NUF currency
    General Chat = The Darkest Side Of The Dark Side
    Pink Disease = a disease that turns all avatars pink or transforms your font pink
    Bishie Day = All Avatars are bishies
    Bishoujo Day = All Avatars are Bishoujos
    Jiji Day = All Avatars are old men aka jiji

i don't remember any other terms we used to use but yea

JEI and Dreizehn like this.
  9. FlowingSong

Reading List:
    Link
    i wanted to join of these before but i didn't understand how ... T^T

10. Cupcake Ninja

Cupcake Ninja [Kind Sage][Lord Benevolence][ The Great Paragon]

Reading List:
    Link
    Okay this sounds interesting.

11. Reright

Reright Someone who tried to keep it simple but failed

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm a fool ,if it's around and fun I'll look at it .

12. Evilnemesis7

Evilnemesis7 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    This, it doesn't help that it's not usually as structured as your typical table RPG. Forum games is meh.

13. Kyubey

Kyubey 第四ラボメンバー

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, commitment and interest is usually the issue...
    I guess it is not really feasible here, huh?
    Thanks for answering my curiousity.

Reright likes this.
  14. Novelty

Novelty Inactive Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Don't bother. The thread will probably be hijacked and will crash like United Airlines Flight 175.

15. kraken296

kraken296 The Greatest kraken warrior

Reading List:
    Link
    i will be intrested if there are enough players other than me playing

16. Parth37955

Parth37955 NU #3, [Dead Inside], Mid-Boss, Dark Dealer Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If it were one on one then it would be fine. Multiple people would lead it to go out of control.

17. tact

tact the master mind AND The Communicator #1

Reading List:
    Link
    i will join , defeinately will join
    but it has to many rules and like me most wont give it a full read

18. Yukkuri Oniisan

Yukkuri Oniisan 『Procrastinator Archwizard Translator and Writer』

Reading List:
    Link
    I'll join and roleplay as a guy who procrastinate lazy healing related profession that spend most of his time lazing around read nonhealing related books...
    Basically me in real life...

19. Animester

Animester Silent whisper

Reading List:
    Link
    role-playing huh .....i think i did as waitress in another chatroom .....
    Edit: serving coffee ofc

Last edited: Dec 24, 2015
    Dreizehn, FlowingSong and Ldyrdy like this.
  20. Mousa4

Mousa4 Cultivated to Immortality

Reading List:
    Link
    If we are going to be playing a role playing game than I want to be, thhe old man who everyone thinks is weak but suddenly he is the strongest person.

Dreizehn likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.