Question How is the payment for novels in China?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Wakashii, Nov 23, 2022.

1. Wakashii

Wakashii Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    With the recent changes in WW. I was thinking, how is the payment for novels in China?

I mean, in WW, the most expensive 'tier' is 75$ dol per month (to an old novel with many chapters, like The Prodigies War), which would permit a person to read 30 unpublished chapters and 30 advanced, that's unbelievable expensive.

I don't even know 100% how it works but I imagine that if they give you every month 30 chapters ahead + 60 free chapters (2 per day), that would be 90 chapters per month, in the best case, which STILL would take at least 2 years paying 75$ dol a month, more than 1.500$ for the entire novel. LOL

So, how is it in China? Is it as expensive as in western? I feel like we get exploited in a ridiculous way but I'm not 100% sure.

First_Last, Cyltea and asriu like this.
  2. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    the clue scattered on various post~ quite old, since this cat never use it and kinda forget the detail, let's wait and see for the proper answer~
    the scale is important~

3. Dahna

Dahna (-, – )…zzzZZZ

Reading List:
    Link
    Web novels in China are fairly cheap imo tho.

The longest novel I bought is from sfacg, and it has ~880 chapters with ~70 free chapters, I used a total of 30-40$ with 10% sale off coupon. It will be even cheaper if my account rank is higher tho. :cookie:

I checked some legit web novel sites from mainland, and their coin systems are quite similar, you buy then use coins to unlock VIP chapters, but no advanced system like Kr and Western ones. The price of a VIP chapter is based on the word count and account rank with a fixed rate, so Chinese authors tend to write long novels.

Otherwise, CN also has sites where authors can set their own price for each chapter or whole novel, which is not too cheap. :blobfearful:

Last edited: Nov 24, 2022
  4. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    how about "ticket" that usually mentioned on novel? is it same as coin system or different one? is there any tier on coin system such as gold coin equivalent to 10 silver or by using gold you unlock forever~

5. Dahna

Dahna (-, – )…zzzZZZ

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm not sure about "ticket". If authors are the ones who ask for them, then maybe "ticket" is an object in voting or donation system. :hmm:

Coins are equal to real money, each site calls them different names, in qidian is "point", in sfacg is "fire roll", etc. So when you use coins to buy VIP chapters, you can read them countless times until it was taken down or you delete your account. Some sites will let you farm coins for free by watching ads or checking in daily, it's similar to Wattpad nowadays.

Usually, your account in CN webnovel sites will have tier. The higher your tier is, the cheaper VIP chapter is. The highest sale-off I've seen is 60℅.

No gold or silver coins exchange, I suppose.

Traveling Chef, asriu and Wakashii like this.
  6. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    what is donation system? is it one time put "cring cring" into author account like one time payment for hmm virtue signal, or subscription system such as Patreon with their perk?

this cat kinda amuse with how author put thank from their reader dunno was it donation or what~ blame the MTL~

7. Dahna

Dahna (-, – )…zzzZZZ

Reading List:
    Link
    Donation or Gift system is more similar to Kofi than Patreon, you use your coins to buy a gift then send it to the novel you like. Some sites will notify the present via a beautiful signal or just a standard line of text in novel comment section or website bulletin or both :blobtongue:.

Authors can also give their coins to fav readers or as a reward for some events, but they usually call this action "give away red envelopes".

asriu likes this.