Discussion How long have you guys been a fan of anime?

Discussion in 'Anime Discussion' started by zhainan2157, Dec 26, 2018.

?

?

1. Never been a fan of anime

3 vote(s)
    2.8%
  2. Less than 1 year

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. 1 year

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. 2 years

1 vote(s)
    0.9%
  5. 3 years

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. 4 years

2 vote(s)
    1.9%
  7. 5 years

9 vote(s)
    8.4%
  8. 6 years

6 vote(s)
    5.6%
  9. 7 years

9 vote(s)
    8.4%
  10. 8 years

6 vote(s)
    5.6%
  11. 9 years

3 vote(s)
    2.8%
  12. 10 years

9 vote(s)
    8.4%
  13. 10-15 years

20 vote(s)
    18.7%
  14. 15-20 years

18 vote(s)
    16.8%
  15. 20+ years

21 vote(s)
    19.6%
  1. zhainan2157

zhainan2157 『Villager No.2157』『Kawaii Connoisseur』

Reading List:
    Link
    So now that I've been on Winter Break from Uni for a week now, I've been binge watching anime like crazy. I don't know what got into me but I haven't binged so much in a really long time. For the past week I've finished about 9 cours of anime which should roughly equal out to somewhere between 34-40 hours of watching anime. Now I'm just scrolling through MAL looking at the past seasons seeing if there were any gems I've missed (despite my already super long "Plan To Watch" list) and after scrolling back through the seasons, I ended up a few years ago and nostalgia just hit me and I was like "Ah I remember when that came out" and stuff. I remember how I used to give myself excuses saying how I'm going to learn Japanese from watching anime but here I am only barely able to understand anime without subtitles which probably isn't considered proficient. I don't know if the length of time I've been watching anime is considered long or short but I remember becoming an avid anime fan after finishing Naruto 6 years ago and then finding out there was a whole bunch of other anime to watch after searching on the internet to quench my thirst for more.
    So how long have you guys been watching anime if you do at all and what was your very first anime that got you interested in anime. Not the very first anime that you watched since I remember watching a lot of old anime when I was really little but didn't get interested in anime from those.

Also if you guys don't mind while you're at it, please recommend me something that gives me a similar feeling to Ballroom e Youkoso since that was one of the anime I binged last week and I desperately want something like it. Also MAL isn't helping since I pretty much have watched almost everything in the recommended section for Ballroom e Youkoso. I have 2 more weeks of break to go and I ain't stopping my binge anytime soon.

2. Jasad

Jasad ...not oldschool, just old...

Reading List:
    Link
    more than 20 years.. the anime that got me interested in is also the first anime i watch, voltus v...

S4TY4 and TheNewGuy like this.
  3. otoshi-god

otoshi-god "Alive";[False Illusionist]

Reading List:
    Link
    i think around 9 years ... :v it was a random time in youtube i searched for random characters and an anime pop up and i watched and decided to search for more.... and here we are :)
    the other version of the story is that the magical youtube recommendation algorithm managed to recommend me something that i liked

TianKrea likes this.
  4. Amaruna Myu

Amaruna Myu ugly squid dokja (●´∀`●)

Reading List:
    Link
    half my life, slightly more than that.
    but still less than a decade

5. TrollingTrolls

TrollingTrolls [Trash Talker]

Reading List:
    Link
    So many words. I feel dizzy.:blobdizzy: I got interested in anime in around 5-6 years ? My first anime was Naruto, that started the anime fire in me. Well I don't watch so much anime now, mostly reading novels. I have like 400-450 watched anime already, so I got a bit bored from them.

6. arashi-chan12

arashi-chan12 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I know it's in the recs but have you seen Hajime no Ippo? Sorta similar with how they get into the sporting world and all (pro mentor, dedicated newbies with hidden talents). Watching the boxing matches for the first time really got my blood racing and the fighting animation is pretty good too. If you haven't, you should try it~ or rather post ur list if you have one lol

I'm in the 15-20 year range. Got hooked on anime at a young age. I remember waking up super early on school days to watch anime DVDs my siblings checked out from the library. I've been going through a lull tho, but trying to watch more anime again.

7. Avagantimos

Avagantimos Chosen Undead|Bearer of the Curse|Ashen One

Reading List:
    Link
    I started watching anime in the 3rd grade. I started watching Inuyasha and Full Metal Alchemist on Adult Swim. I wasn’t able to stay up later to watch more anime so before tons of anime were online I had to watch the 5-7 anime on Direct TV. The only one I can remember were Maria Holic, Ouran Highschool Host Club & Hell Girl. Even then these 3 anime had at most like 8 episodes in total & most of the time they skipped an episode or 2

8. Ophious

Ophious Pathfinder kinda fun

Reading List:
    Link
    I think it was either gundam or inuyasha that was my first, it was broadcast on tv and I watched it with my dad, so that was when I was between 4 to 5ish, so 12 to 13 years now since I've first watch and fell in love with anime

9. Beer_Kitty

Beer_Kitty Just a very very drunk kitty that likes beer

Reading List:
    Link
    Ever since i was 6?
    It started with pokemon.

Not sure about what you wanted but seeing that you said something like ballroom then maybe Yuri on Ice?

10. Jiggy

Jiggy I am JiggyliFAP~ the not fat anymore guy.

Reading List:
    Link
    I've been a fan since 4 years old but I thought anime was a better version of cartoon on TV, so basically I thought it was just cartoon back then. I didn't know it was anime until I was 12. My first anime was Voltes V, Daimos or Pokemon. I was too young back then so I can't remember.

11. Kingloli229

Kingloli229 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I have been watching anime since I think 5 or 6 and I'm 21 now. Started with either Pokemon, digimon, or transformers armada which is an anime if you didn't know. It's been so long I don't remember any more. I guess you can say I'm so far down that rabbit hole the entrance long since been closed.

12. zhainan2157

zhainan2157 『Villager No.2157』『Kawaii Connoisseur』

Reading List:
    Link
    Wow, my experience is like nothing compared to that.
    Yeah sorry, sometimes I just go off on my keyboard without realizing it. I only wanted to talk about my nostalgia but then words wouldn't stop coming out.
    Yup watched it, it was a good anime but wasn't one of my favorite sports anime. My favorite sports anime has got to be Diamond no Ace with Ballroom closely following it now.

13. Darkanlan

Darkanlan Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I think it started with dragon ball then yu yu hakusho. Which means late 80's to early 90's so a good 25 - 30 years at least.

I remember in elementary school having kids talk about dragon ball z during lunch. That was back in the early 90's, so it's been a while.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2018
    criticalmind likes this.
  14. Odyssey

Odyssey Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    decades. I remember when a new subbed anime would take a good 3-4 yrs to finally get a dubbed version [not that I needed that] but some of my few (at the time since anime was just starting to take root in the 90s) anime friends were diehard Dubbers I couldn't talk about new animes since the wouldn't watch subbed.

15. rythms1107

rythms1107 Member

Reading List:
    Link
    10 years, addicted after watching angel beats, high school of the dead, anohana and school days.
    being school days the most memorable.

16. Seigin

Seigin [Lolicon][GenderBender Banzai!]

Reading List:
    Link
    The old naruto, slam dunk, hajime no ippo, eye shield twenywan, Heck even cowboy bebop, zero no tsukaima, Beelzebub, Inuyasha, etc.

17. xRhai

xRhai Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Since 2014. I have a few hundred of titles in my finished list and used to watch anime like crazy back then (around 20-30+ episodes/day). But nowadays, I've switched to reading WN/LN, KN, and CN so I don't watch as often. I do watch a few series every season though.

I did not include here the time when I was younger and watching shows like dragon ball / naruto on TV.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2018
  18. runsing

runsing status : bleeding, health -10/s Novel Updates Staff

Reading List:
    Link
    i don't remember when i learn of the word 'anime'. probably grade school, probably even later.

but if we only count 'watching', or 'fan' of, then i probably had been one for as long as i can remember. doraemon is definitely one of the earliest anime i've watched as a kid. there's probably some titles even earlier but i can't remember them anymore.

in fact, i didn't even know the 'cartoons' i watched as a kid were originally animes, due to local language dubbing.

Ddraig likes this.
  19. fuzor100

fuzor100 Standby mode...

Reading List:
    Link
    More than 20 years since I was a kid. I watch Doraemon on tv and my father bought me a Doraemon movie video tape, more than 10. Then comes Dragon ball, Sailormoon, gundam, digimon and pokemon.

Ddraig likes this.
  20. Xdox147

Xdox147 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    yuyu hakusho (Im not sure of the spelling), flame of recca, gundam wing, slam dunk, dragon ball Z

I forgot some....