Discussion How many chapters is too much?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Bad Storm, May 2, 2022.

1. Aniv2008

Aniv2008 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    300 upwards… I just can’t…

2. Ekisiel

Ekisiel Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I think anything more than 500 chapters is discouraging to read but whether I'd read it or not depends more on it's synopsis and other reviews, either way I'll just drop novels whenever I lose interest or if the main reason I'm reading it has already been fulfilled.

3. krispykakes44

krispykakes44 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Not the number of chapters itself but the pacing of the plot. The novel can literally have less than 50 chapters , but sometimes I won’t read it if it gets too boring. I can read books with 1k chapters for the sake of the plot or characters. Really just depends on the execution of the plot and how the characters are written. On the side note, most books I read have chapters ranging 100-400.

4. Nodeo Franvier

Nodeo Franvier Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It could really be a problem if the novel is really good,Just recently I was wolfing down omniscient reader viewpoint and feel like a drug addict.

5. Nana24

Nana24 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I used to read those wuxia cn novels which are quite lengthy with over 2000+ chps and tend to binge reading. Then, I realised tht most novels have the usual plotline, harem, OP MC and to be on the brink of death by antagonists yet survive & kill them. So, these numbers of chps are too much.

Last edited: May 15, 2022
  6. Tsago

Tsago Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The important thing is the number of pages not chapters. The Smiling Proud Wanderer is only 40 chapters long but it is the same length as Heaven Official's Blessing with its 244 chapters, sooo...

7. YueLiin

YueLiin Kore

Reading List:
    Link
    Anything nearing 4k lmao
    I'm fine with 3k as long as it's good and important for the plot to go on that long
    If the main problem is resolved at like 300 I'm not gonna read a bunch of filler chaps after QwQ

8. Deleted member 343051

Deleted member 343051 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    100+/50+
    I usually stop reading after 50 chapters
    (*´∀`*)

9. whitenight2013

whitenight2013 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It depends on the genre for me. If it is action/adventure, I wouldn't mind if it goes up to a thousand chapters so long as the material stays interesting. Same thing for romance/harem. As long as there is a potential for new content and a possibility it won't be repetitive, I'd be willing to give it a chance. If it is kingdom building, slice of life? Probably around 200 to 300 chapters because those tend to pad their runtime with food storyline and other not plot interesting stuff.

10. Novel Monster

Novel Monster Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It depends on how much story is actually told.

Like, if there were 2000 chapters and all of them were just repeating each other then I would like to quit it.:blobpitch:
    But if there were 2000 chapters with good humour, good plot and good but surprising twists then its worth reading it. It might also happen that the chapters are not enough for you.

One good long novel I know is The King's Avatar.:blobmelt::blobnosebleed: (1729 chapters+24 chapters from the prequel)
    How I would have liked it more if there were 3000 chapters more.:notlikeblob::blob_plusone::blob_plusone::blob_plusone::blob_plusone::blob_plusone:

11. readerz

readerz Madam Jin

Reading List:
    Link
    I like to read around 100 to 150 chapters. Anything over that is a bit much, in my opinion. Traditionally published novels are different because they are of higher quality. Even then, I still prefer fantasy series that aren't twelve volumes.

12. Mr gentleman

Mr gentleman Ok

Reading List:
    Link
    1500+ although nowadays I can't even read 10 chapter a day.... :blobcry: I have gotten weaker

13. Accismus

Accismus Icarus

Reading List:
    Link
    Depends on book. Bad book even 1 chapter is too much. Good book I can read 1000 at most.
    Anything like 2000 or 3000 is insanity.