How much I have read so far (hint: more than 1)

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by CodeTime, Sep 19, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CodeTime

CodeTime [Void Emperor of Time]

Reading List:
    Link
    So I needed a number on how much I actually read for school. Considering the 99% of the novels I read are from China it seemed pretty easy as the standard is around 2k per chapter....until I remembered how much I actually read. The Calculator in the end showed 39,891 chapters read (underestimation as I cut numbers to round, like 360 would become 350). This meant 79,782,000 Words, like 400 Harry Potter books or 800 average high school textbooks...
    If you want to double check my reading lists, the lists to check are: Reading (currently insta reading), Divine Blood Suppression (novels on hold cause I got tired), and Void's End (novels I finished)

Ruyue and SquadCammander354 like this.
  2. waleuska

waleuska Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    so 2 books.

King0Mik and SquadCammander354 like this.
  3. DiabolicGod

DiabolicGod Well-known lazy Member

Reading List:
    Link
    grats for that, I am far too lazy to check, and would even have trouble, since at least half the novels I read, are not on NU, the ones on my readinglist here are not all the ones I read here, since I didn't add novels to my reading list that I read in the year before creating an account
    adding to that the fact that I read a printed book a month, I can't tell how much I have read in total, but I assume it is at least as much, if not more, since I started reading very much since I was 6 y.o.

Falhrus likes this.
  4. DontLookDown

DontLookDown One with the bed

Reading List:
    Link
    We could probably average each chapter at a short 3 minutes each(varies from 2 to 5 in my experience), meaning 39,891 * 3 = 119,673 minutes worth of novels, or 1994.55 hours worth, which is 83.10625 days worth and 11.8723214286 weeks of reading.

Now to further complicate this, if we assume the average human reads 200 words per minute at a comprehension level of 60%, and that web novels require a relatively lower level of comprehension, say 50%, then we can reverse scale this to about 240 words per minute on Chinese web novels. Now we multiply this by our previous total of 119,673 minutes worth, and we have an insane 28,721,520 words read, drastically under the previous total. This means that the proposed 240 words per minute is very far off from our actual reading speed, assuming that each chapter truly only takes 3 minutes to read, which 2k characters suggests around 666 words per minute. If we assume each reader is an average reader, then scaling comprehension down from that, we get that there's about a 20% comprehension rate for readers of webnovels.

No wonder.

Ghost_Spawn likes this.
  5. Ilisle

Ilisle Lord of the Northern Guards

Reading List:
    Link
    imagine all that time lost

6. CodeTime

Reading List:
    Link
    Novels are just stories with little to no useful info to our brains, thus it would be ok even if the comprehension rate of the novels was 5% when reading webnovel. When u get serious tho, I'm a straight A student with multiple ap classes so I can comprehend things when required

7. ZedOud

ZedOud Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Counting just the stories in your "Reading" listing (16 of them) there are 6580 or so chapters.

8. SquadCammander354

SquadCammander354 『Early Life Crisis』〖Stormy's Bro〗『Lord of Storms』

Reading List:
    Link
    ..............are you all "that" bored? Come, Praise the Sun with me!!!

Falhrus likes this.
  9. CodeTime

Reading List:
    Link
    Go to Divine Suppression which has a bunch of novels I dont keep up to date on atm but have read, also there is void's end where novels I finished are

10. ZeroBlink

ZeroBlink Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Personally I'm having difficulty finding unique novels , I'm ok with the format for 3-4 novels , but I get less enthusiasitc about the "new" style and become more critical of it , which in turn leads me to drop novels somwhere in the middle. Especially long running novels with 1k chapters and above.
    I probably read about 15k chapters this year however I only just started reading like a mad man 2-3 months ago. I'm already finding it hard to find good novel as it is idk how you get to 40k chapters :D

11. Ruyue

Ruyue Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Honesty thats pretty insane, I find it very hard to finish 3k chapters.

12. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    dunno~
    is that mean something?
    by chapter on this year I think less than 1k chappy

as for you?
    too lazy to calculate

13. Ruyue

Ruyue Well-Known Member

Reading List: