Question How much information would you prefer in a footnote?

Discussion in 'Translator's Corner' started by lazycatchronicles, Dec 22, 2020.

Tags:
?

Do you prefer footnotes with long explanations or short?

1. Short Explanation

35.7%
  2. Long Explanation

3.6%
  3. Depends On The Topic

75.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. lazycatchronicles

lazycatchronicles Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    While reading a novel set in Ancient Times or a Xianxia, how much information/explanation would be necessary in the footnotes for readers? [especially new readers who may not be familiar with the setting or culture]

Also, when does information feel a little too much and you would prefer the translator keep the explanation short.

Conversely, is there any benefit to a longer explanation? Or are there any readers that prefer longer footnotes?

2. MangoGuy

MangoGuy Rambling Mango

Reading List:
    Link
    I like a super short footnote, with a link to something longer.

Lokum, riririn, Westeller and 2 others like this.
  3. BigBadBoi

BigBadBoi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Short descriptions except if it's complicated topics that few know about. You can also just link a wikipedia article if it's too long.

4. BookHermit

BookHermit ■ ■ ■ ■ ■ ■ ■

Reading List:
    Link
    I think this is the best, if it’s too long my eyes gloss over and I tend to skip it... well unless I’m like super into the topic.

Westeller, riririn and aShinyVaporeon like this.
  5. aShinyVaporeon

aShinyVaporeon Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I never click on links in footnotes, unless I'm really curious.

Generally, the ideal length would be 1-3 sentences, I guess? Images are also good, especially for foreign internet memes. Uhh, it also helps to keep the footnote shorter than 3 lines as it would display on the website - I usually skip over text block-looking footnotes.

6. Westeller

Westeller Smokin' Sexy Style!! Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Short explanations, link to more. :blob_plusone:

7. Mino Micha

Mino Micha Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Depends of the topic, but I prefer a definition/meaning and an example of use, a link to a wiki would also be great!

I like reading footnotes though, I feel like they're very sweet because someone took the time to explain something to us

8. Lokum

Lokum Forum Member Banned

Reading List:
    Link
    Short explanation under 2 lines in simple terms with a link to see more. If you have a long explanation, try splitting it into smaller sentences - manageable chunks - so that readers are be more likely to read it.

I rarely used to read footnotes, except for terminology, and I preferred when the explanations were short.
    Actually, 'concise' is the best way to put it.

9. ToastedRossi

ToastedRossi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Give me everything! I read historical novels and these are so content-rich that a short note just isn't enough. A Chinese reader may be either already familiar with this detail or has easy access to exploring it further, but a English-language reader usually doesn't have this luxury so it's very useful to include it. I'm one of those readers who likes it when the writer meanders for half a chapter about a related subject because this is the kind of thing that gives extra weight to the story.

Admittedly it's a lot more work for the translator, but I do appreciate it! (Even though I rarely read Chinese translations) Here's an example from one of the books I've read:
    Yeah, this is just an excessive amount of worldbuilding, but it also demonstrates why fictional universes simply can't compare!