How Not to Respond to a License Notice: Roxism HQ and Nozomanu Fushi no Boukensha

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Sam Pinansky, Feb 28, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. XenoRaku

XenoRaku 「Punished Lolicon」「Ugly Bastard」「Haunted」「NEET」

Reading List:
    Link
    True, it's a miracle how we humans haven't gone extinct yet

AliceShiki, jersanxx1 and Wujigege like this.
  2. Deleted member 37987

Deleted member 37987 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    It's fine to translate as long as they don't come claiming a licence in the country you leave in/your website is hosted in. As long as there's no copyright treaty.

That's the only part you need to know >.>

3. thymee

thymee Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Damn im late on this drama ,......

Wujigege likes this.
  4. Pietje1324

Pietje1324 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Sheer stubbornness, that's why

5. krrizis

krrizis Runs Ainushi, Read18 & Chaleuria

Reading List:
    Link
    As a fellow Japanese fan translator, I do feel appalled by what I believe is a total rip-off. That and culminating with the actions taken to justify pursuing their translation pieces, I'm disappointed.

We all know how difficult it was in the early days to bring content like LN/WN to the community. Back then, NU never existed and it was all due to the hard work + dedication of fans who wanted to share their interest to the world, that helped kickstart a demand for these content.

Roxism is giving a very, very bad image of fan community to the publishing industry. They're backing the perceived notion of us as "thieves" that profit off 'stolen' content. As it is, not many Japanese companies are appreciative of fan translations unlike the English community. If this keeps up, I worry we may soon revert back to sharing our translations underground in order to avoid a C&D from publishers. (To be honest, even taking that step shows how damaging fan translations can be to publishers).

Ars, XenoRaku, Rumby and 10 others like this.
  6. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    those are ignorant one
    because there genius among idiot
    that one kind of genius also there idiot who still care for other and crazy people who try improve humanity
    be thankful for that blessing

Wujigege likes this.
  7. Ai chan

Ai chan Queen of Yuri, Devourer of Traps, Thrusted Witch

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes, but what makes you think they will commit perjury? What basis do you have to suggest that they will commit perjury? If you have no basis for saying that, then you have committed slander.

If I misunderstood what you meant, please, by all means, enlighten me. I've been working for the whole night and I'm currently very sleepy. So I will admit, that your one liner without contekst was confusing as hell. As in who are you referring to when you assume that someone will commit perjury.

I was like, "Why did this guy suddenly mention perjury? Why was this mentioned? Did this guy know something I don't? Could he know with absolute certainly that J-Novel in fact didn't have the license to translate the novel and that they've been lying about being in contact with the author all this time?" Why man, why?

EDIT: I'm just so confused with your sudden assertion that they commit perjury that I keep editing this post because I have absolutely no idea how to respond to your one liner. I don't even understand why you reply that way.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2018
    AliceShiki, paradoxez and SenjiQ like this.
  8. Jeebus

Jeebus Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm a subscriber to j-novel.club. I refuse to pay for anything short of publication quality translations. Most translations, I read for free. And since you get what you pay for with free translations, I can't really complain. So, I'd like to thank you and the j-novel staff for providing a quality reading experience. My only complaint is that the site takes a while to load, and reading multiple chapters in a single sitting requires more clicks than I'd like.

Do you have the rights to the WN version of the LN? If you don't, you have no leg to stand on in requesting or demanding the removal of that content. The author or publisher of the WN could, but you can't. I'm sure you know that issuing a spurious DMCA is tantamount to perjury.

Finally, you're running a legitimate business. Keep business matters private. No matter how close the situation comes to reading like satire, airing these matters on the public stage does nothing to elevate my impression of your company. Quite the opposite, in fact.

9. voiceburner

voiceburner Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    https://www.techdirt.com/articles/2...ces-are-bot-generated-bullshit-buckshot.shtml
    https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20090315/2033134126.shtml
    https://thenextweb.com/insider/2016/03/31/quarter-dmca-takedown-requests-questionable-says-report/
    Not slander miss just a fact with statistics to back it it happens a lot and is a form of prejury

10. Sam Pinansky

Sam Pinansky Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm curious since people are so adamant that our license of the doesn't include the WN: have you actually compared them?
    Because I just did out of curiosity, and at least when it comes to the prologue, 100% of the WN is included in the LN (maybe with a few kanji written differently). No sentences have been cut, and maybe 3-4 were added. A number of kanji have been rewritten using katakana, and a few extra descriptive clauses have been added. In other words, the LN is a edited version of the WN (as is often the case), and nothing in the WN was cut (only added to) in the LN so far as the part which I've checked.

Sushino, gggo, AliceShiki and 5 others like this.
  11. kavinh

kavinh Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    NU only shows non paywalled free content, so it wouldn't show products that you'd have to subcribe for to begin with let alone paywalled patreon chapters. If they stop being leechers and yet still use NU they can easily find out it's been licensed and officially translated cause it'll say so on the NU page. The paywalled pages from that TL or any TL won't ever show on NU to begin with so there's no chance someone sees a paywall chapter and gives money to an unofficial TL cause of NU.

>"Just translate faster than them and the consumers will decide", but how will they decide if they didn't know of this option at all?

Well the paywalled chapters will never show on NU to begin with so that isn't a problem on either end, and at the rate j-novel translate they'll pass them by the 2nd volume. Your argument that what if they didn't know this option to begin with isn't really an argument cause NU isn't meant to be an news site for officially licensed works that you'd need to pay for. Assuming the TL did quit what does that do exactly? it just leaves a NU page for the series that's obsolete, whether that TL quits it or not doesn't help j-novel in their advertisement of their series. If you're a fan who'd actually pay for MTLs for the series, i'd find it very unlikely you'd wouldn't know it's been licensed and would keep reading a MTL that translates at a tenth the speed.

This thread doesn't serve any purpose in helping them promote a series they're publishing it's just the head of a company using his rep to start drama with a TL group that didn't listen to his request. This should've just been a private issue between them and the TL group not something that should've had a post stirring drama on an aggregate forum.

12. voiceburner

Reading List:
    Link
    Finally you answer might i acquire a copy of your licensing agreement

Also its not about content its accessibility of the content sir not saying bring their patron down is wrong but a attempt on their domain is

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 28, 2018
  13. AggressivePacifist

AggressivePacifist Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    What right do you have to see a private business document? The only people it needs to be shown to are Patreon and Wordpress – the parties who would be sent a DMCA.

Why would DMCAing their site be wrong? They're publishing their translations of the novel against the author's wishes, and, if the WN is very similar as @Sam Pinansky says, infringing on the copyright of J Novel Club who have a (presumably) exclusive English publication license for the work.
    And even if the LN license can't extend to cover the WN content, @Sam Pinansky can simply obtain the authorisation of the author and DMCA it.

Accessibility has nothing to do with it. If they're publishing translations without the consent of the copyright holder and it doesn't fall under fair use (which it doesn't), they're infringing their copyright. It's that simple.

It's only a free Wordpress.com blog, wordpress would prefer to not put themselves at legal risk and just comply with a DMCA request.

14. Slayerwolfx2

Slayerwolfx2 [Immortal Forever]

Reading List:
    Link
    It's different.
    They could easily give up translating a shitty quality and do another novel, as they don't offer anything to the community.

It's one of the few times a translation is licensed, and those translations are for the fans too. Not to mention by the fans as well, because honestly, who would invest so much in something he didn't like.

It's common courtesy to at least discuss things, before anything.
    But they?
    I think you forgot they ignored him completely.

Edit: a good reply I found in this whole mess

AliceShiki and paradoxez like this.
  15. HakoMari

HakoMari Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I would rather the companies would let us know about stuff like this before sending DMCAs so I completely disagree. He doesn't have the rights to the WN, but neither does the people fan-translating it and charging money for it. J-Novel Club hasn't sent a single DMCA request so far, only asked for the translations to be taken down, which in case of WNs the fan-translators can refuse, and several of them in fact has. I think the reason they are bringing it to attention is because Roxism is not only going against their request but also ripping off fans like us.

16. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    congrats you seem bring da point which some not see or deliberate ignore just for the sake of debating

don't mind me
    continue~
    raccoon bread.jpg

GonZ555 and AliceShiki like this.
  17. FussyBadger

FussyBadger Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I hate to say this but I've never really been a fan of this translator once I found out that they had so many chapters hidden behind a paywall. I only read Seirei on their site but there release schedule made me wonder why people want to see behind their paywall.

18. voiceburner

Reading List:
    Link
    First a licensing agreement is a legal document open for review most business have them up for view its not a so what right do you have to do you have to question my request? Its up to him wether he forfils my request

zentetsuken likes this.
  19. xTachibana

xTachibana Wincest King

Reading List:
    Link

Can't say I've ever seen any company share their light novel licensing agreement before, or even one for anime/manga...usually we just get news like "Hey, we licensed this thing now!"

Also, if the LN is literally a near carbon copy of the WN, but with some additions, it would probably still apply to the same copyright....

TamaSaga likes this.
  20. Rumby

Rumby Rumbly Tumbly

Reading List:
    Link
    :blobpopcorn_cool::blobpopcorn_cool::blobpopcorn_cool: man i'm late to the party

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.