Tutorials & Resources How to block 'bad ads' on your phone

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by thedorkishguy, Jul 11, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thedorkishguy

thedorkishguy Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You're probably reading this guide because you've had it with these 'bad ads' that keep popping up on your screen or redirecting you from your page.

We refer to ads such as Pop-ups, redirects and malware as 'bad ads'

Below you will find a short guide, on how to block these ads on a variety of different operating systems.

iOS (For iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch)
    There are a few options on blockings ads on iOS (Please update your device to the latest software update):

1. Enabling Safari pop-up blockers
    • Settings > Safari > Tap on Block Pop-ups

2. Enabling content blockers – EG: Downloading adblock plus from the App Store
    • Settings > Safari > Content Blockers

3. Disabling Javascript
    • Settings > Safari > Advanced > Disable Javascript

4. Downloading third party browsers from the App Store
    • Google Chrome, Firefox, Adblock Browser etc.

As a former technician at the glass fruit store, the feature I use and definitely recommend would be to Disable Javascipt from Safari on your phone or alternatively just use a different browser than Safari, as there are a few security loopholes that could potentially exploit your device. (Apple’s iOS is pretty safe, so besides the occasional Pop-ups and redirects virtually nothing else will happen.)

MacOS
    uBlock is my favourite ad blocker on Safari and also the best in terms of managing Pop-ups

2. Adblock Plus

3. JS Blocker – Similar to a Firefox extension called “No script” it essentially blocks any sort of javascript from running on your device.

Note: You may experience heavy memory usage (which causes lag) if redirects and Pop-ups are not prevented.

Android
    There are so many variety of options for Android, but the only one I use and works is installing Adblock Plus for Android from the Google Play Store. Alternatively you can also jump into the settings on your browser, filter to settings, click on Pop-ups and disable this option.

Personal opinion:
    I work for an advertisement publication company now, and seeing some heavy traffic websites with ‘bad ads’ and not taking a stance in preventing it (besides sending a ticket to their vendor), is honestly annoying me from a personal standpoint.

Don't hesitate to ask any questions or add your own opinions on how to block 'bad ads' to this thread! :)

Last edited: Jul 11, 2017
    m7vpc, noisypixy and Ocarina like this.
  2. Ocarina

Ocarina Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I use android and adblock plus. It deletes the most annoying ads that force redirecting your tabs and won't let you go back. But its not blocking some non-annoying small ads.

3. noisypixy

noisypixy Sacatunn que pen, que summum que tun.

Reading List:
    Link
    Question, do they respect the DNT header?

4. thedorkishguy

Reading List:
    Link
    You'll need to configure the settings on Adblock plus, is your system rooted or non?

The company I work for, does not advertise on small websites but multi-million dollar partners in Australia and around the globe. Yes we do, our partners are paying us to advertise for them on their platform and not us paying them to advertise for us. That's the primary difference between corporate and small vendors.

noisypixy likes this.
  5. Ocarina

Ocarina Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Not rooted anymore

6. thedorkishguy

Reading List:
    Link
    Sounds like your configuration has 'ignore non-intrusive ads' enabled. If those small ads don't annoy you, you can just ignore them. Which is good of Adblock Plus, at the end of the day these websites rely primarily on ads to generate revenue.

Wujigege and Ocarina like this.
  7. fqidian

fqidian New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    UC browser all blocks ads just not as well as AdBlock plus browser however it can do things like captchas and stuff that some other browsers cant

8. kingofrandy

kingofrandy New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    they probably need that revenue...

9. G4merSylver

G4merSylver Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    On android I would recommend using something like AdAway, it's the most stable adblocker I know of and works device wide. If you just need the browser to be clean, Firefox on android allows to install add-ons - just install uBlock origin or whatever you use.

10. G4merSylver

G4merSylver Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    And I don't need 20 pop ups asking me to download a Trojan horse. I am fine if they pop one or two ads unassumingly in some corner but the translators (or developers of games) can royally go fuck themselves with a cactus if I have to watch a 20 second ad before playing the next level or switch tabs back and forth because of pop up ads.

11. thedorkishguy

Reading List:
    Link
    Ad revenue can be generated in a few ways, some adblock's allow noninvasive ads to be bypassed.
    uBlock is great! Highly recommend :)

Wujigege likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.