How to convince my parents to let me learn martial arts?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Blazingprincess, Mar 7, 2019.

1. Ai chan

Ai chan Queen of Yuri, Devourer of Traps, Thrusted Witch

Reading List:
    Link
    Where do you live that civilians are taught to disarm people who use knives? I can understand parrying, but disarmed is very difficult and takes very specific circumstances. And even with very specific circumstances, if your body is not fit enough to take the opportunity, it's still useless.

Ai-chan knows the moves to disarm a knife-wielding person with my bare hands, but just because Ai-chan knows how to do it, doesn't mean Ai-chan can actually do it when it matters. As for a gun, the moment the wielder shoots you, it's game over. Bullets are supersonic, so by the time you hear the shooter say "Die!", you're already dead. That's why even martial arts intructors won't tell you to go against guns. Just wanted to say that, Omae wa Mou Shin de Iru.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2019
    AliceShiki likes this.
  2. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    sigh really~
    learning martial art for reason can fight other is dangerous mindset especially if you learn on teen stage unless your teacher really strict one~
    @Ai chan already give reason~ I add another for 3rd variation which is arrogance~ on teen stage where cat seek for identity~ there high probability cat become arrogance just cuz they know martial art~bully other~ sound like movie story? heck no been there seen it~
    not lie tho
    it classic problem knowing something is different with doing it~ to use martial knowledge irl fight you need lot of practice~ physically and mentally prepared for that~ practice move+ spar+ practice+spar+practice+spar~

wut cha looking at?
    martial art is technical skill~ practice make purfect~
    it not for lazybum~

3. Lazriser

Lazriser Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Fair enough, but would criminals actually say one-liners like in comics or movies? Like seriously? They would actually shout "Die!"? I mean if a person wants to kill someone quickly, while minimizing attention. One should simply kill efficiently or quickly as possible. I thought dialogue in-between murders happen only in fiction. Damn, reality is stranger than fiction.

I forgot about this. It's like knowing and understanding are not essentially the same thing. Got it. My misconception about the whole idea.

4. Ai chan

Ai chan Queen of Yuri, Devourer of Traps, Thrusted Witch

Reading List:
    Link
    No, Ai-chan was just saying that the speed of the bullet is faster than the speed of sound. "Die!" is just an example. What Ai-chan was trying to say was, if you can hear any sound from the shooter, you'd already have a bullet in the body. The sound of the bang! will reach you later than the bullet itself.

5. Bakaturq

Bakaturq Tell me, what do you see?

Reading List:
    Link
    Gangster basics 101:
    Ok a**holes, here is your lesson for the day.
    Gather in groups and watch this gangster movie At the end of the day, discuss and list out what is essential to be a good gangster....

Before class is over...

Tomorrow, i will book a lan shop and we will play gta v. Do the same thing that we did just now. I expect a report from each of you sons of b****es

6. Jojo775

Jojo775 Honorary Algae Knight

Reading List:
    Link
    I didn't say black belts are all that or that training in martial arts will actually protect you one day. I'm just saying petite girls would just be wasting time in boxing. I've been in 2 kickboxing clubs and in both only guys trained seriously, girls didn't even have spars. They were just doing exercises and punching/kicking the bag. I agree that all the martial arts clubs I've been in are too gentle, they won't prepare you for a real fight, you just do theoretical exercises which will never happen in real life. Even if they did, your attacker won't just stand there and follow the exercise like your training partner at the club. If you're asking me what should a girl should practice for real defense, then I guess some hardcore krav maga, or something with joint locks - best would be wrists. As far as throws go I don't think a 50kg girl can throw a 100kg guy even if she was a black belt. These tehniques that use opponents force against them can only get you so far, you still need to be as close as possible to their size and mass for them to work easier. You should also consider girls have less muscles and possibly nails to get in the way of a punch.

7. SolInvictus

SolInvictus Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You make some good points. I did say the benefits of boxing are mostly conditioning, sparring, and quick progression in the early stages. I disagree with you about kickboxing though. A kick with bodyweight behind it can mess you up. Even if thrown by a 40kg petite woman. 10 kilos to your gut, floating ribs, or solar plexus has some serious stopping power.

I once asked a girl I babysat to give me a solid punch in the stomach. She was about half my weight so I thought I would shrug it off. I flexed my abs and took the blow. My abs were developed but, superficially (I was doing about 200 situps a day in sets of 50 but, no obliques or isometric exercises). She gave me a solid body blow with all her weight behind it. I coughed, dry heaved and even peed myself a little (fortunately she didn't see that). I had taken body blows before but, usually, I curve my body inwards, block a part of the strike, and/or turn away from the blow. A full on blow to the gut is pretty damn effective. I can only imagine how much that would hurt if you were caught off guard by a grown woman.

When I started judo at 15, there was a mom in her 40s there who was about my then weight (48kg or so) she could throw heavier guys than me. Dudes who weighed about 75kgs. A few years back, I was in the gym alone late at night and this petite 5ft tall chick rocked up and perfectly squatted 160kgs free...weights....unassisted. I will admit that she had developed abs and thighs. Not bodybuilder level - just like a chick who squats...I still can't squat that weight but, I can throw 90kg dudes on a good day. That girl could definitely throw a dude twice her weight.

All in all it will be incredibly difficult for anyone to take on someone twice their weight regardless of what martial art they are using but, I think something with a mix of strikes, throws, and sports-like practice bouts is the best. My knowledge on krav maga is shallow so I can't speak on it.

I will say that I strongly disagree with you about the effectiveness of joint locks in a real fight. Even in a hardcore dojo, during training, the opponent's wrist is always lax to avoid injuries. Irl a person's wrist is tense or will tense up as soon as you reach for it. Add in the difficulty of snatching a grown man's punch out of the air...If you've ever tried to wrestle a controller or remote out of a kid's hand you'll know how difficult it is.

I've never seen a joint lock submission in any stand-up fight ever. Neither in a fight nor in any judo, jiu jitsu, or MMA fight. Joint locks virtually always come after a takedown when the fight moves to the ground. There's your problem. For a woman to use a joint lock, she would either have to take her attacker down first (which would require a throw or tackle) or she would have to be the one taken down.

Saying that it is easier to effectively joint lock someone twice your weight than to effectively throw them or strike them isn't true. Another thing I'd like you to consider is that not all throws are technically 'throws'. A lot of techniques are more like tripping up your opponent and kicking them while they're down (the best time to kick a person imo).

8. Disgusting

Disgusting Fetishist

Reading List:
    Link
    Learn the better forms of self defense lol.
    Slaps and punches wont help you in a real fight unless you can actually fight.
    Learn grappling techniques and throwing techniques.
    And kicks are stronger than punches. (Slower and leaves u open for a counter tho)
    I suggest the korean fighting styles.

9. Fallion

Fallion [Indolence Personified]

Reading List:
    Link
    And all of this is why I said it depends on gender and location. In my country you would be better off letting the thief run with your wallet and call the police, it’s getting more and more rare to be carrying cash around so all you’d really have to do is to block your cards and call the police.

Allowing people to arm themselves for self defence is stupidity itself, all across the globe you can see that acess to weapons and crime is closely related, there are plenty of other things that matters but people feel in power when they have a weapon and that makes them do stupid things.

Laws for carrying weapons in public spaces isn’t gonna help with anything, it’ll just make everything worse because suddently the law abiding citizens have areas where they aren’t allowed to be armed and every criminal on the planet would know and could carry concealed weapons. It is far better to simply remove acess to weapons instead.

Acess to weapons haven’t decreased the amount of rapes occouring in any country EVER.

10. SolInvictus

Reading List:
    Link
    Access to weapons and crime isn't closely related. Access to weapons and gun crimes is. A quick google search is all it takes to see that there are many women who have been able to defend themselves with a gun.

In your theoretical robbery, the thief seems to be a polite, tea sipping gentleman who kindly asks for your wallet then goes on their merry way. Then you go file a report while chatting to the officer about the weather...that isn't realistic.

In many cases, thieves hurt the victims. They kill, they rape and sometimes they kidnap. You are saying that that's okay. That a person shouldn't have a weapon and should just let that happen. Real robberies aren't that gentle.

My folks own a bnb and about 4 years ago, it got robbed. The receptionist cooperated. She didn't refuse to hand out the money, she offered it up immediately - we had insurance and even without it we told her that money isn't worth risking your life for. She got gang-raped by 3 of the unarmed men during broad daylight. They beat the security guard into a coma and raped her then left her tied up. None of them used protection. You have to think, what kind of person initiates force on another? Are they gentle and polite? Are they rational people who mean you no physical harm and just want to make ends meet. Some are but, many aren't. They don't care about the victims.

Had she been armed, things might have turned out differently. Maybe better maybe worse but, in one scenario she had the chance to defend herself in another she didn't. The lodge is just a 10-minute walk away from the local military barracks and police armed forces. You might be okay with being raped or beaten to death but, to take away the means of defence of others is unjust. Unless you can garauntee their safety. If not, stay quiet. Unless your town has 0 murders, 0 rapes, 0 kidnappings, 0 molestations then you can't say "it depends on where you live".

In college, my best mate was attacked by 3 kids with screwdrivers. He got stabbed a few times but, fortunately, he was a former track star, a current personal trainer and martial artist so he was able to break away and outrun them. They didn't say "give us your wallet bub" they just jumped him and started stabbing him while reaching into his pockets. That's how many robberies are - savage and effective. No discussions. If it were anyone else, they might've died. A gun could help.

My coworker's uncle got abducted once. A van pulled up alongside him, opened up and 4 men grabbed him and held him hostage until they received payment. Fortunately, they released him because other cases ended in murder, especially if women where abducted.
    In 2016 my friend went to Japan for a music tour for Awaji Flying circus. A group of drunk middle-aged men threw glass bottles at him. They cornered him and started to beat him up. One of then even got a broken bottle to attack him. My mate 9same dude who got stabbed with screwdrivers) whooped them and ran away because a police officer showed up halfway through and tried to arrest him.
    In 2017 in South Africa, a dude was arguing with her girlfriend outside some bungalow style flats. She was trying to drive off, he got the keys, opened the boot and pulled out a knife. My friend (who we've established as a badass) ran out and whooped the guy, then we tied him up and called the cops. Again, lot's of people saw this happening but, other than my friend, not many people can or could stop a man with a knife without a firearm. That woman would've died. Even if that an had had a gun, in an armed society I think more people would've come out to help her because the confrontation would be on a more equal footing.

Until you create a society where people are actually safe from violence, then it is unjust to take away the means of self-protection.

You have inadvertently contradicted yourself. You've said that banning guns in public spaces would only put people in danger because criminals would still be armed. What you are acknowledging is the fact that people with greater force would be able to harm those without it. But, if you take away guns, the same still applies. Men will still hurt women and children, vicious people will still hurt timid once, gangs will still hurt individuals. Wars have been going on since before the invention of gunpowder. The scale has certainly changed but, for the victims, it makes little difference whether the weapon is a rock, a bone, a spear or a gun. They die either way. It's false to say that guns are the reason for crimes because every country has thieves, rapists, paedophiles, and murderers. Guns make it easier for weak people to commit crimes but, they also make it easier for weak people to defend themselves.

In an unsafe society, guns are the great equalizer. There is no difference between a man with a gun and a woman with a gun. No difference between the young and the old. Even a gang would be wary of an old lady with a Glock.

I completely disagree with you about public spaces. Take the airport. No guns allowed and everyone is searched beforehand. If you had the finances, you could implement the same policies at public spaces. Like how toll gates are set up, you could have something similar set up at city squares, malls and other high traffic areas. There is no need to carry a firearm if you are in a public space with law enforcement present. Night clubs are the same. Your home is different.

There are currently multiple technologies that could be implemented to make public spaces safer. Private spaces are - private and so you need your own security.

Eishun likes this.
  11. Fallion

Fallion [Indolence Personified]

Reading List:
    Link
    Sorry to say but after reading the first part of your comment I’ve decided to not read the rest and ignore you. In no way have I ever said it was “okay” to kill, rape or kidnap anyone for any reason whatsoever.
    Even implying that I ever thought it was okay is increadibly rude and offensive, I went into this conversation thinking it was to be somewhat civilized. Saying things about an opinion or action is to be expected from the internet and people in general but you’ve gone and directed a written insult to me personally.

12. SolInvictus

Reading List:
    Link
    Before you gallop off on your high horse. Read through your own replies to my statements. You seem reasonable but, not very introspective.

I brought up violent crimes like rape. Your response was that people shouldn't own weapons for self-defence. You told a story in which, if you were robbed you would just hand over your wallet since you don't really carry anything valuable in it.

So your response to me saying that women get raped and them owning a gun could help prevent that - is to say they shouldn't have guns and should just do as you would do, let it happen and report it afterwards.

My 'impoliteness' is just summarizing your response. Showing you the meaning behind your theoretical "So it's ok for women to get raped" that's not a random phrase I shout at passersby. I have not called you a rapist. I have taken your statements and posed them directly back to you so that you can address them.

Eishun and GDLiZy like this.
  13. Jojo775

Jojo775 Honorary Algae Knight

Reading List:
    Link
    You really stuck on that point. I said for women joint locks would perhaps make sense since a guy is mostly likely to grab them than punch them...

14. SolInvictus

Reading List:
    Link
    I am. Because self-defence is a pretty important topic. I'm saying, I haven't seen a single time where a joint lock has been used in a stand-up fight. However, I have seen women successfully throw large men.

15. Finalbeta

Finalbeta Science Nerd

Reading List:
    Link
    You can make them understand how martial arts aren't a dangerous weapon but an actual healthy life style.

16. Haruhal

Haruhal Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Sometimes theres untold reason parents cant told us,like maybe the expense is way too much...
    You know,you also need some protein nutrients whatever right? If indeed financial problem might be one of the reason then you can try convince them you'll try take part time job,safe money,help doing chores whaetever la or promised you will be serious about it not just a wuxia-whim.
    Amd prepare best arguments,browse what are the benefits in learning martial arts,aside from it helps train our body become healthier and makes us more disciplined

SolInvictus likes this.
  17. Eishun

Eishun Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, for starters, don't tell them that you think it would be cool to say you have a black belt in Wing Chun when you get into fights.

Because that makes it sound like you are eager to get into fights.

You can try approaching them from various angles.

#1. Self-defense angle

I don't know which country you are from but in Asian countries like Singapore, it's far more common to to run into criminals WITHOUT firearms. When gangs fight each other, they tend to use weapons like sticks or kitchen knives. But most of the time, what we see are incidents like drunken brawling at the pub or heated arguments between mall rats turning into fist fights or random crazies starting something in public. Most of the time, those assholes do not use weapons. Just their bare hands.

And if you are still in school, and an altercation happens on campus, it's very likely that the situation won't turn into a gun fight, right?

So use statistics to convince your parents. You gotta do your own research and use official statistics to convince your parents that, as a civilian who's not in a gang or law enforcement agency, you are more likely to run into situations which can be resolved with unarmed combat techniques.

#2. Health benefits

Martial arts training is healthier than internet gaming. Convince your parents that, if they let you go for martial arts training, it means you will spend less time in front of your PC and more time outdoors doing healthy things. It's healthier than other hobbies like chess or painting and shit.

#3. You could do worse

Let them know that instead of spending Friday evenings doing Wing Chun, you could be worshiping Satan at black metal concerts instead.

I had a friend who did this trick. He told his parents that he wanted to join a black metal band and his brother, who's supposed to be helping him, suggested to their parents that they make my friend pick up some clean habits at the gym where they had boxing classes.

#4. Rope in your friends

If you can get a bunch of friends to do the same course, you might have a better chance of convincing your parents. I am sure they understand what it's like to be left out of group activities at school. So tell your parents that almost all your friends are doing the same thing and if you are left out, you will become an outcast.

#5. Creeps are following you around

This reason will only work if you are a girl. I had a colleague who wanted his daughter to learn feminine things like violin and piano and flower arranging. But then, one day, a perv harassed her at the train station. So he made his daughter learn Judo instead.

That's all for now. I actually like encouraging people to learn martial arts because I am a practitioner myself, so I will go compile some advice regarding picking the right martial art school for beginners.

SolInvictus likes this.
  18. SolInvictus

Reading List:
    Link
    Hey. Thanks for sharing your experiences.

No, it's nothing too private at all. I actually got really into bartending and ended up staying a bartender for some years after uni and eventually ended up owning a bar with my brother and 1 other dude. I quit after a few months because the other 1 guy was sexually harassing the female staff. Being immigrant students (having to pay fees 3x higher than domestic students) they wouldn't leave the job or report him regardless of the harassment. So I left instead.

I'm living off savings now and started up a blog that looks into different advice on happiness, health and wealth to test whether or not they are practical for me. I'll see how that goes. Part of it will be trying to be more fit than I was in uni. Should be fun.

Fortunately for me but, unfortunately for anyone wanting a good story, my martial arts never really came in handy. I actually only used the things I learned in judo once when a woman snuck into my bedroom and tried to pin me to my bed after a 14 hour shift-___-

Exercise and conditioning is a different story though. My best mate is a beast and had me do ton of...challenging workouts during boarding our 5 years in boarding school so I am a bit stronger than I look and that has helped me in many situations:stopping assaults, lifting beer kegs, lifting women (I'm not a perv) and subduing a few rowdy customers (without skill. Just strong-arming them).

My best mate has had a lot more interesting adventures. He taught me kung fu? ( I actually never asked what it was. General self-defence he learned from his dad) and I taught him a bit of judo. We sparred a lot and worked out together almost every day throughout boarding school. He's still my best mate so I will share his awesomeness with you.

He's saved a random woman's life in South Africa when her boyfriend pulled a knife on her.

He's survived an attack in Namibia from 3 street kids armed with screwdrivers.

He survived an attack from a foreigner-hating cab driver who tried to hit him with a machete.

He whooped some drunk businessmen who tried to beat him when he was wondering the streets of Japan.

He sparred with an entire capoeira advanced pupil class on a beach in Mozambique because he pretended to be a capoeira master after they saw him practising his acrobatics. He won all the fights back to back until losing to both the master and his partner.

My personal favourite isn't martial arts related. He smacked a kid who was kicking his back seat after he asked the kid to stop. The kid's parents where on either side of him...they didn't say anything about it. We were about 15 then and the kid was about 9 so I feel no remorse whatsoever (please don't try at home - results may vary).

As for athletic feats...
    he could only do 10 press ups when we first met in 8th grade. By 12th grade, he was doing about 650 in 50 pushup sets. In Uni he was doing over 1000 a day (not in a single sitting).

At 16, he had never played football (soccer) but when a bully (who I went to grade school with but, never had justification to fight) made fun of me. The bully loved football (soccer). He played it all his life and he had been on a school team since 1st grade. He was also the reason I hated football specifically and team sports in general. A nasty dude who turned every club from an enjoyable and supportive environment to something incredibly abusive and vile. I was the smallest kid in my grade and probably the grade below all through grade school (including the girls). I was half his size when he first transferred to my grade school in 4th grade (22kgs to his 48kgs) so I (wisely) avoided fighting him (though later I did get him beaten by a mob of 100 kids in the 6th grade. He was sick for a few days afterwards...it was delicious).

Anywho, I was still about half his size in high school but, had a reputation so he no longer tried to physically bully me. Just the verbal stuff. I told my mate about his bullying in passing and he started practising football that day and every day after that - for 3 months. During the next term, he applied for, and took, the bullies spot on the school team. Which was the bullies favourite activity. The bully cried - in public - in high school. My best mate quit the team afterwards. He never once brought it up or said why he did it. He never asked for thanks and even forgot about it.

Side story:
    The bully never did learn his lesson. I never fought him even when I was no longer afraid of him. By that, I only used force in response to force or the threat of force. I did get him back in other ways though because the "turn the other cheek" thing didn't work all through grade school. I kind of have him to thank for my relatively bully-free highschool life. I learned how to plan and execute vengeance and avoid getting in trouble. That practice came in handy with some other bullies and I got a small reputation. My back and forth with him culminated in the 12th grade with him almost getting me expelled (my math teacher risked his job and saved me) and me getting him suspended and removed as vice-head boy. and the schools golden boy (adults are notoriously bad at judging character)
    His dad had a notoriously bad temper and there was physical abuse involved. He got fucked up real bad during his suspension and came back neutered - at least towards me. He never spoke or looked at me again and my last 2 terms where peaceful. I hate the fact that he was abused. I didn't know that would happen. Still, I don't regret defending myself because you don't pass that hatred to someone for a decade and expect to have a happy ending. I literally did everything from lending him my uniforms when his got stolen, sharing my last food with him (like giving a kidney in boarding school), helping him clean his room when his roommate got sick of him and bailed and he still tried to fuck me over the 2nd he became vice head boy.
    Understand that this school was merit-based i.e., it was the best school in the country and really cheap. The catch is, you stay in the top rankings or you get replaced. A few of us didn't come from money so if we got expelled we could only afford to go to public school. And bullying in public school in my country was getting raped by your 20 something yr old highschool classmates So - in summary. I'm lovely and perfect in every way and he is the devil's pre-cum. A totally impartial assessment.
    Interestingly, he became a youth counsellor and is now an HR Manager. I feel sorry for his staff because even though he never approached me after his demotion, he still bullied so many other students. Ps. facebook needs to stop recommending people without prompts.

Another time my best mate got on the rugby team because a few of the jocks used to make fun of our martial art workouts (because - teenagers) and because we liked manga, drawing, and breakdancing. He became the substitute trainer (while the coach was sick) and devised a training routine for the team. As the trainer, he said anyone who couldn't keep up with the training couldn't play in any official matches.
    Only one dude passed and he threw up afterwards. The coach returned said the routine was too extreme. My mate then invited me to the next training session. I was notoriously tiny and weak in my freshman year and the jocks had yet to pick on some of my colourful retaliations to bullies (never using force). Plus all through highschool I didn't play any sport (officially though I played many in private, recreationally) and didn't have any extracurriculars (I did coach the girls' netball team. I'm not a perv)
    Anyway, I did the routine pretty easily because I did it with him every single night (pause). I think the coach asked me to join the team as the dude who runs- I denied because my whole ethos was to find as many loopholes to work as I could during highschool. The coach went back on his word and cancelled my friend's role as sub coach because his methods were "too extreme"

He once kicked the steel leg of a custom desk clean out from under it across the 15-20m long class...using his shin...The desks were custom built from steel because the older ones were vandalised a lot. These couldn't be easily broken and I don't recall ever seeing a broken one. I tried breaking the other 3 legs using the leg he kicked off and failed. You can try lightly tapping your shin with a piece of steel (or alternatively a full glass bottle like the Karate dude used to do for his conditioning - it hurts). I did start conditioning my shins after that though (I think that may have helped me survive a jump from 2nd story library window into some packed dirt below in my freshman year of uni. My legs would snap now).

In the 10th grade, a sophomore actually got his tennis ball stuck on the roof our dorm like in the movies. He looked a lot like my former roommate (who was our good friend but, transferred to day school) and seemed so sad that my mate got it for him...
    The roof was 10-14 meters high. The walls of the dorm where supported by struts protruding from the building at 2-3 meter intervals that went all the way up the roof. He absentmindedly walked up to the wall and did that ninja/ videogame thing where you jump off one wall and onto another. Off one wall, off the opposite wall, back again off the first and then landed on the roof. He retrieved the ball then jumped down slowing his fall by planting his feet against the walls/struts on either side of him in a split. He didn't stabilise himself with his hands. He landed perfectly and tossed the ball back to the kid and we walked off.
    When I looked back, the kid was looking back and forth between the ball and the roof. I locked eyes with him and I think we are some of the few people who have seen a person pull of Prince of Persia moves irl. My friend did it absentmindedly and never tried it again after.
    The final story was in grade 11 or so. We were pretty jacked and summer swimming season was coming up (we have 2 swimming seasons, 1 is during the hot dry season, the other during the hot wet season) so we wanted to show off our gains (our school didn't have much gym gear so we only did bodyweight training - which takes ages;- 3.5 years for us- to show aesthetic results). It was our first time swimming in summer. Me, because I forged a doctor's note to escape dry summer P.E and I coached girls netball during wet summer (I. AM. NOT.A.PERV).. Him because he didn't know how to swim (I had no idea all those years).
    He was shy about it (since we were rivals and dumb teenagers) he didn't want to ask me so he asked our other mate for lessons. The dude showed him the swim strokes one afternoon (I spied from behind the bushes so he wouldn't feel awkward (I guess am a perv) for about half an hour. My friend got the jist of it the practised himself for the entire afternoon. He got the hang of it by the time the pool closed. The following week swimming season came and he did a backflip into the pool and swam just fine.

To celebrate our bromance we (with a 3rd, easily influenced, friend) started taking midnight swims. It was obviously against the rules and involved some pretty troublesome plotting on my part to get access to various things needed to access the school pool (guard dogs were particularly troublesome).
    We once (stupidly) swam in a tropical storm. We also once unexpectedly bumped into our school principle swimming at 1 am.
    You see, the entire boarding school (900+ students plus house parents and their families) is dead silent by 10pm so after successfully reaching the pool we weren't bothered by anyone apart from the guards (who were my acquaintances because my punishments often involved me working at the school farm to grow their food- and you can't be mean to the person growing your food). We were strolling the deserted mountaintop school at night feeling like kings (it was a beautiful location) and just before jumping the pool fence for our final illegal swim of the year, we saw him in the moonlight (we preferred to swim on the first moon of the month).

Our chubby 60 something yr old Irish Catholic Priest/ Principal stood there in magnificent red and black oriental silk robe. He shed the robe and was wearing a black speedo underneath. He climbed down the ladder into the pool and did the most gentle breaststroke I have ever seen. It was more a frog paddle than a breaststroke because his head never entered the water. He still had his glasses on...His head was so still that it looked like he was gliding through the water being pulled by strings. He did one length and back, climbed out, dried himself, dressed, got into his car and left. With his completely dry head.
    It is definitely in my top 10 surreal boarding school experiences. Of note was that the principal didn't live on campus and left the school at about 4 pm. No non-house parent was supposed to be on campus after 6 pm. We might be the only people who ever saw the principal break the rules (he was very straight-laced...he also called me a "wretched fellow" a lot). We might also be the only people who saw an Irish Catholic Priest in an Oriental silk robe. We are, unfortunately, to be the only teenagers to see a Catholic priest in a speedo but, are most certainly the only students to ever see his magnificent moonlight gliding.
    That moment was so entertaining and memorable that 1 year later, during my Cambridge O level final exams, it was the subject of the composition of my English Exam. The question being "write about a time you have bumped into an authority outside of normal class settings"

I know it wasn't much to do with martial arts but, it was nice to hear about your experiences and ramble on about a few of my highschool stories for the first time since then. I had forgotten most of this stuff and I think I'll write them down before I forget more.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2019
    Meloman likes this.
  19. Meloman

Meloman My dog is lazier than me

Reading List:
    Link
    Wow, thank you for writing all that up, it was really interesting to read.

You should write a fiction book based on your mate as an MC. Like instead of three guys with screws change that to a three- headed hydra or whatever- then the whole thing can be a fun adventure/ xanxiaesque/ bromance fiction.

The plot would be more interesting than some other stories out there, I think.
    Or post some chapters on your blog (though you’d get more readers by posting somewhere like Wattpad or something, though.)

SolInvictus likes this.
  20. SolInvictus

Reading List:
    Link
    Thanks heaps for the advice. I don't think I've read a good bromance wuxia ever. And I can only recall one good bromance adventure novel. Fafrhrd and The Grey Mouser.Give it a go if you're bored. It's really good.

Meloman likes this.