Discussion How to deal with dog food?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Deleted member 456425, Sep 29, 2022.

?

do you believe in love at first sight?

1. or should I pass again?

37.5%
  2. yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. no

43.8%
  4. yes, but not for me

37.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Cutter Masterson

Cutter Masterson Well-Known Super-Soldier

Reading List:
    Link
    @Avgust makes a good point. @Avgust and @Anra7777 I believe I may have gone a little overboard. Do except my apology. I am sorry

@luoxinle I’m not saying. Do not use slang. Slangs are fun and wonderful. What I am saying is don’t be surprised that people believe and trust your words. You want to talk about “Pancakes”. (I’m using Pancakes instead of Dog Food). Ok we’ve established the bases of the conversation. A level of trust was initiated. If you say something like Pancakes is actually slang for Kissing. You create a moment of betrayal because you were not clear since the beginning. It’s like starting a game and changing the rules right in the middle. Than laugh at you like you were supposed to know. I have see a lot of stories of people being bullied or being cruel because everyone know something that the outsider doesn’t.
    As to this post being clear. The answer is NO. I have read it several time. I am able to skip over things and get the jest of it, but it’s far from clear. If you read the post. It jumps around from PDA and Dog Food in haphazard way. If you want it clear. Keep it concise. Dog Food means PDA funny. I get it, but it should have stop at the first sentence. So the reader does not lose track of the subject manner. Slang is not proper English. Slang as a joke is great and funny. But mentioning Dog Food over and over throws off the readers thoughts.
    As for the reason we are here. It is indeed to read stories. But you seem to have miss the fact that this post wasn’t based on a novel, but relationships.
    I agree. PDA is a form of slang, but it is even more wrong to criticize that slang because this is a English website. Honestly which is worse. A Chinese slang on an English website or a English slang on a English website?

2. Deleted member 456425

Deleted member 456425 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    I had the words "fluff" and "cake eater" ruined for me... hope you don't find out why.

Apology accepted. *buries the matter*

Cutter Masterson likes this.
  3. Cutter Masterson

Cutter Masterson Well-Known Super-Soldier

Reading List:
    Link
    Unfortunately, I may know the jest of it. But I’m a pervert at heart

Deleted member 456425 likes this.
  4. DojaDoge

DojaDoge Formerly known as Ms.EliteNEET

Reading List:
    Link
    I always wondered where the term dog food came from. Not to mention dog blood. So many slang that I don't get.

5. Deleted member 456425

Reading List:
    Link
    It's called dog food because it's fed to "single dogs".
    That's as far as I know. I'm not sure about if there's a deeper meaning within the Chinese words themselves.

DojaDoge likes this.
  6. DojaDoge

Reading List:
    Link
    OIC. Thanks

7. Deleted member 456425

Reading List:
    Link
    A funny thing to note though is that pda are also called/considered dog abuse.
    Seems to be the opposite of dog food since you're feeding and taking care of the dog.

8. DojaDoge

Reading List:
    Link
    LoL. That's odd. I barely understand the idioms in my own language. But there's a lot of Chinese idioms involving dogs.

Cutter Masterson likes this.
  9. Anra7777

Anra7777 All powerful magic grammar hamster queen pirate.

Reading List:
    Link
    Definitely didn’t mean to come across as mocking. I’m sorry. I was trying to express surprise that you hadn’t heard the phrase before since it’s so prevalent in the novels that I read on this site. I meant to come across as teasing, not mocking, and I’m sorry that I came across as making fun of you. (This is a common failure on my part. People rarely understand when I’m trying to tease IRL either, and I’ve yet to figure out what part of my delivery keeps screwing me up so badly. For a long time I would always qualify that I was teasing someone right after I attempted to do so, but I guess I got so used to Mr. Hamster understanding me, I’ve fallen out of the habit. I should pick it back up…)

@luoxinle wrote what I wanted to say much, much better than I did.
    Nah, I’m the one who owes the apology to you. Again, I’m sorry.

10. luoxinle

luoxinle Book Club Founder

Reading List:
    Link
    I still disagree with you. If this were a formal paper, then of course slang is not appropriate. But this is an internet forum, slang is completely appropriate and there is no requirement to use formal English.

Also, it's not really just an "English" website. It's an English website about translating and reading translated novels. While most of the text is in English, the subject matter is Chinese, Filipino, Indonesian, Japanese, Khmer, Korean, Malaysian, Thai, and Vietnamese. In some parts of the forum (check out the translator's corner) you could post entirely in another language. In the rest of the forum, it's entirely appropriate to discuss and use the slang that's common in the novels this site is designed for, even if the post isn't explicitly about those novels. Do you think we should never say "yaoi"? That's Japanese slang. If you want English-only culture, with no cross-over slang from other cultures, then go find a forum for discussing American, Australian, British, etc. novels. Even there, you'll see some cross-over slang. "Long time no see" comes from the Chinese phrase 好久不见. It entered English through Chinese emigrants.

I understand feeling left out or frustrated when you see a joke that you're not in on. But instead of asking what the joke was in an open-to-learning way, you started with accusations that people were talking wrong, and an insistence that they stop, which is what provoked the defensive response "judging" you for not understanding - you hurt their feelings first, and while they could have been a bigger person and stated it nicely, there's a reason you didn't get a more friendly response.

An alternative would be to say something like "hey, I don't actually know the slang 'dog food'. Where does that come from and what does it mean? Can you edit your post to be a bit clearer?" I'm sure we would all have been happy to explain it without any snide comments if you'd just asked.

Also, "editing to be a bit clearer" doesn't mean not using the slang, it means putting the definition in the first sentence and then continuing to use the slang.

Again, this is a forum for discussing foreign novels. You are entitled to a kind explanation of anything you don't understand if you ask nicely, but if you don't want to read any crossover slang ever, you're on the wrong website.

Anra7777 likes this.
  11. Anra7777

Anra7777 All powerful magic grammar hamster queen pirate.

Reading List:
    Link
    “Long time no see” comes from Chinese?! (⊙o⊙) Wow! I’ve used that phrase my whole life and had no idea! So interesting! Thanks for sharing!

luoxinle likes this.
  12. Grandpa_World

Grandpa_World Manly Man-Mob Character C-Lovely Hubby of Alexcia

Reading List:
    Link
    And here I thought I will see some cute puppies in this thread.
    Public affections should be ignored in most cases. It is also annoying in most cases. It also doesn't matter to you at all in most cases. I like to believe the people that do give dog food super in your face probably only do this to keep their pretense of a relationship afloat.