How to invoke readers' emotions and had their investment?

Discussion in 'Author Discussions' started by GDLiZy, Dec 1, 2018.

1. Meloman

Meloman My dog is lazier than me

Reading List:
    Link
    A cyborg

AkeShiro likes this.
  2. Sannnnn

Sannnnn [Mafia boss pikachu][no mafia memes pls]

Reading List:
    Link
    Well then u need to create a new character one still relatable in the sense thst this is how u would feel as well.imagine urself in ur protags situation and think how would u react,unless hes a bad ass in that case show that he is also vulnerable.
    In order to make the character more 2d u could add small quirks like obsessive love for chocolates,which could be used for funny situations or small habits like trying to get into cool poses,general hobbies.U know try to bring to life that type of person.
    I also feel ur character should be likable,must have something he believes in and something important that xianxia mcs aren't is flexible in their beliefs. U must show their struggles on a emotional front but not too much that the reader feels ur just bashing ur mc but like a pinch of salt
    Flashbacks could also be sparingly used to tell reasons on some things for development

Meloman likes this.
  3. Feng Tian

Feng Tian Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Consistency is key here. And your writting style.

If your character is nervous, scared or currently in a similar state of mind then you need to create the atmosphere for it. At the same time you will have to express how your character deals with it. Make the reader feel the same way your character feels.
    If he is nervous you have to create tension. If he is scared you need a gloomy mood etc. This requires more than just a bit experience and skill but is VITAL. This is the reason why the vast majority of LNs and WNs, especially the CNs, are horrible style wise (at least here on NU).

Example for a mood setter:
    The tenth month of the year had just begun. It wasn’t yet the eighth day, which heralded the coming of winter, but the days were already turning cold. Even the few pots of chrysanthemums, placed along the hallways of the upper house in the prime minister’s manor, had begun to wilt. (Return of the Swallow)

Change the way you describe things:
    Sylvas long black hair fluttered in the wind as she and her wolf dashed trough the grassy plain.

Sylva beamed with joy as she and her wolf partner flew over the wide plains.

You could add some more attributes if it is the first time meeting her:
    The young womans green eyes beamed with joy as she hugged her wolf partner's silver fur while they flew trough the tall grass of the plains with large leaps and shouts of joy and excitement.

Notice the difference? Its not that big here but will stack up. Especially if you do it constantly. From the first we learn: She has black hair, she has a wolf and may or may not like going fast. From the second we learn: She has a wolf and LOVES going fast. The first may deliver more information but most of it doesnt matter all that much. The second gives her a LOT more character. And character is where we connect with characters. This has to be put trough the POVE lenses ofc. If the character is a grumbly old man he might (or will) see her radiant smile as something annoying, or dislike her constant cries of exitement and joy. If the character is a good natured young man or woman the focus will be on her spirit and sunny mood and how she is enjoying herself together with her trusted partner.

Of course you need something to describe first. And the most important point is: No one, and I repeat, no one, is perfect. When we link ourselves with a character we dont do it via his strengths. We do it via his or her weaknesses and emotions. 16-years old Jack, just having mastered the flight spell, might go on a sky date with his crush and is therefore equally excited and nervous due to his inexperience.
    His younger sister Luna just got scolded by their kind but strict master because she gre too excited when casting a levitation spell and is pouting or might even be a little angry because no matter how well she performs there will always be a higher standard to achieve.

These emotions tint the POV lense. An angry character might not feed the cat of his master our of spite. Or hole him/herself up in their room. She might verbally lash out on others. Long story short: Emotions make your character act differently than they normally would (plot device, duh) and might cause even the smartest character to act stupid (yey, the base for character development). This is the basis for a logical plot.

And, last but not least, keep plot armor in mind. Your main character is unlikely to ever die. So never pin any tension on him surviving or not (you may, but it will have to be done properly) but rather on how he will do so, display his desperation.
    As negative example: ATG. YC gets his heart destroyed by a casual enemy sneak attack (enemy is just ~10^6 times stronger than him) but he suffers nearly no lasting damage, not even mentally, and doesnt even learn from it. Instead one of his 11/10 waifus literally fucks him back to health within 10 chapters.
    A better example: In Eragon the character with the same name gets trashed by his enemy (power relation roughly 5x but the enemy had the order to capture, making it hard for him). In the standoff his dragon partner and elf love interest shatter an invaluable artifact of the dwarves to distract the op af Durza and he, while heavily wounded (and in fact heavily crippled) manages to slay the foe. He then spends more than half of the following book suffering trough the aftermath. The dwarves took the event with mixed feelings as well (He saved their ass at a dumb high price), creating trouble down the line.

Hope that gives you some ideas.

4. Silver Snake

Silver Snake Magician of NUF|Show-off|Awkward|Genius

Reading List:
    Link
    Show and don't tell. Very basic guideline of writing. I won't explain any further as I am ill-equipped and many others have already explained the concept wonderfully. Everyone else's replies are overly complicated and too fixated on a specific aspect of character building. Your problem is very basic, so your solution is also very basic. Learn the fundamentals is all I can say.

Example:
    Don't say a character is sad. Give context clues that let the reader come to the conclusion themselves that the character is sad.

Meloman likes this.
  5. Feng Tian

Feng Tian Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hm. I think I overdid it a little. That being said some examples help in cases like these. I recommend watching some videos on youtube, reading some high quality books of your aspired genre (almost all will be western literature, just a heads up), reading some guides. After that write a few dozen short stories. The practice will help you since most chapters tend to follow the same pattern, or combine to a 3 act pattern.

Meloman likes this.
  6. Meloman

Meloman My dog is lazier than me

Reading List:
    Link
    Actually thinking about it I cry about a character’s death the most not when a “monster rips off his head” but when it’s actually more subtle. Like when the death of that character affects all other characters around.

Like if say some granny in an apartment on the next street dies today- would you care? You didn’t know her or care. Perhaps you saw her buying groceries once or twice, that’s all. But say when LinkinPark what’s his name died- many people were affected, as his singing touched many people.

Errr I’m not sure whether this is clear, but an interesting character with an interesting life that touches many is much more “emotional” than a groceries buying granny down the road.

In fiction I think we more want something that we don’t actually live in every day life. How many of us have stood on stage in front of thousands of people screaming “encore!” ??? But pretty much 99.99% of “capable” population had been to a groceries store before. As shop keepers, customers or even thieves, even those pop-singers had been to groceries store ... (not including misophobic or whatever it’s called type people...)