How to make websites while you're a newbie

Discussion in 'Tech Discussion' started by Meap, Sep 29, 2017.

1. elengee

elengee Daoist Ninefaps

Reading List:
    Link
    Is Dreamweaver not a thing anymore?

2. Kemm

Kemm Custom title

Reading List:
    Link
    You can always use Dreamweaver.

3. Ai chan

Ai chan Queen of Yuri, Devourer of Traps, Thrusted Witch

Reading List:
    Link
    No coding experience?

1) Wordpress and blogger, then find web templates. It's easier to customize with wordpress, but free wordpress doesn't allow you to monetize through ads, so think carefully. Blogger allows you to do whatever you want with your site, but customizing it requires dreamweaver, or you can do it in text document if you know html.

2) Websites that offer drag and drop and templates for free such as weebly and wix.

3) Nothing else. If you are not prepared to spend months learning how to code, don't bother with anything other than the above options. You'll likely be stuck for half a year on the CSS alone. Also, if you're a translator, you want to spend all your time on actually translating and not building a website. Maybe put up your simple website first and when you have like 20 chapters under your belt and an assistant with web knowledge, you can get them to help you with the site.

Purple Panda likes this.
  4. Midnight Rain

Midnight Rain The 5th is around~

Reading List:
    Link
    wordpress is the best choice if you're a noob like me

5. Meap

Meap Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It kinda sounds funny but i am actually having coding lessons in my school . Only problem it ain't helping me in real life .
    I probably have to ask one of my classmates to help me , holy moly he truly knows how to connect all those domain-java servers etc. .

Second of all i want to have my own websites for novels which i write casually , probably starting some translating site too (only casually) .
    I know that i will use royal road too , but what are the BEST options to build a website for a mid-noob coder with only little to none experience ? I am willing to learn so teach me .

Now back to wordpress , i think its really nice . Only problem though is that i have no idear how to use it . Besides i heard that there are "two" worpress thingys out there . One that is restricted and the other one is amazing . Anybody know what is the difference ?

In the end i want to thank you all for helping me , even if it's only a sentence .

6. Jeebus

Jeebus Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If you have $50 (or less depending on many factors), you can purchase a domain name and a year of webhosting from any number of web hosts. Many of those website hosting companies will also include something like a free automatic wordpress installation tool. Use that, then find a WP theme that you like. Import that into your WP install, and you're basically done.

As far as one version of wordpress being restricted vs amazing, I'm guessing you're talking about the free hosting you can get from wordpress.com and sites like it. Free hosting restricts what you can use with wordpress. This includes restricting what themes and plugins you can use, as well as the web host putting ads on your site. If you have your own webserver and run wordpress from there, you control all aspects of what you're serving to those who go to your webpage, which is a bit more work, but you have complete freedom.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2017
    Meap likes this.
  7. Ai chan

Ai chan Queen of Yuri, Devourer of Traps, Thrusted Witch

Reading List:
    Link
    There's only free wordpress and wordpress engine.

With free wordpress, you are restricted in things that you can do, such as monetization. Wordpress engine (which you download for free and install in your own website allows you to do anything you want with the engine. Some web hosting providers provide wordpress installation for free with their service, look for options such as softaculous which allows you to install all kinds of web engines on your website. You can download the engine from wordpress and put it on your own server, but you need to first know how to work with database.

EDIT: Wordpress actually offer premium wordpress too. Basically it's just free wordpress, that you pay to get additional features included into your free wordpress. If you don't want to pay, get the engine and put it up on your server or web host.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2017
    Meap likes this.
  8. Meap

Meap Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Thanks a lot guys, i got into the contact with the friend of mine and now he's helping me. I will probably inform myself about that WordPress engine as that sounds really amazing .

9. Floral

Floral Member

Reading List:
    Link
    there are many free templates to create a website. If it's an eccomerce site then it's better to use magento.

10. SummerHaze

SummerHaze Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    There are many ways to create a website. But at first you need to imagine your website, its design, colors etc.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018