How to not join a contest???

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Onigiri-o, Apr 26, 2021.

1. Onigiri-o

Onigiri-o Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Help ! ! someone told me to join a contest but I've been giving them hints that i don't want to join the contest. I don't know if they get the hints but they keep mentioning me to join the contest :blob_catflip: now I don't know what to do cause I don't even understand the content of the contest :blobpensive:

2. Halcyon Observer

Halcyon Observer Full stop

Reading List:
    Link
    If you genuinely do not want to join the contest, just directly tell them that you do not. That you neither understand the content of the contest, nor do you want to, and that it would save both your time and their time if they just find someone else. You are not obligated to participate in any event you do not wish to attend, just because someone has asked you to do so.

Are they asking digitally or in person?

Shio, Rumby, Fulminata and 2 others like this.
  3. MisterBubbles

MisterBubbles [The Omnipotent No. 2 at Everything]

Reading List:
    Link
    "Well, sorry, but at the moment I am not sure if I want to because I don't know what the contest is about."

or, if you're a little shit like I am, just be blunt:

"My answer is no, so stop bothering me about it, you're making me uncomfortable by your insistence."

Onigiri-o and Halcyon Observer like this.
  4. Onigiri-o

Reading List:
    Link
    i did thats the problem i said " I dont want to join this contest u should find another person that is actually good at it "
    but he kept going on and on about "u should just go for the experience"
    but i dont want to and i cant tell him of cause he's a teacher :blobcat_hyper:

Jevanka926 likes this.
  5. void

void Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Or, you could join it and fail spectacularly so that no one insists on participating in a contest alongside you. JK.

Edit: Ok, I thought that it was a team contest. My bad. Still, my reply is the same. Fail spectacularly to prevent the teacher from asking you again.;)

Onigiri-o likes this.
  6. Jevanka926

Jevanka926 Grumpy and Awkward <3

Reading List:
    Link
    If you are someone who is kinda good in white lie, you could say this,

"Oh God, I'm so sorry guys. It turns out my schedule is full and I need to do something with my family/friends. Also, because I don't know anything about the contest, I may need some time to do a research and all,"

or

"I'm sorry, I'm currently feeling unwell and I don't have the strength to do anything right now. I'm sorry guys."

But if you take the one above, you really have to pretend well okay. Hoarsen your voice or make it sounds tired or sick. Then turn off your last seen. Don't make any updates on social medias.

or, just give something simple,

"I'm sorry, I don't think I can do this -then explain why politely if you want to-."

Edit:

I think you should go for the second one then. It always works

7. Onigiri-o

Reading List:
    Link
    i really want to answer with both of this but the thing is,
    he's a teacher and in my country its offensive to speak impolitely to a teacher or even talk back to them
    and its not like i dont know the content of the contest its that i dont understand i told him that and he kept rambling to just join for the experience :blobcry:

8. Halcyon Observer

Halcyon Observer Full stop

Reading List:
    Link
    What is the teacher going to do if you do not?

You could also give the teacher a solid reason on why you do not want to attend the contest, even if "it gives experience." While you should also ask whether the experience is worthwhile, I assume that you already have enough reason regarding why you would rather not attend.

Onigiri-o likes this.
  9. Onigiri-o

Reading List:
    Link
    okay ill try that, thanks for the suggestion @Jevanka926 blobmelt_thumbs

Jevanka926 likes this.
  10. Jevanka926

Jevanka926 Grumpy and Awkward <3

Reading List:
    Link
    Be foolproof okay, hoarsen your voice, if you had to talk face to face, get some white transluscent powder on your face

Last edited: Apr 26, 2021
    Onigiri-o and Halcyon Observer like this.
  11. Onigiri-o

Reading List:
    Link
    i suppose so, I'm gonna go talk to him again. Thanks for the reply @Halcyon Observer :blobsmilehappyeyes:

lolol alright :blob_coffee:

Halcyon Observer likes this.
  12. Bad Storm

Bad Storm no thought, head empty

Reading List:
    Link
    If it was me, I'd just say no.

But I do know how it feels to get dragged into a contest, as long as it doesn't take too much effort, it's not such a big deal.

Onigiri-o likes this.
  13. Onigiri-o

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah.. this happens wayy too many times, i just want to block him at this rate :blobflag:

Bad Storm likes this.
  14. Bad Storm

Bad Storm no thought, head empty

Reading List:
    Link
    Maybe find out about the contest? Are you not, even a little bit curious?

he's a bit weird for being so pushy tho....

15. Fulminata

Fulminata Typo-ist | Officer of Heavenly Inc. |

Reading List:
    Link
    Say it honestly, sincerely, and bluntly. Don't make it sounds as if you're too shy to accept and just need some encouragement. Sever it clearly.

Here's a little formula of my tested-and-true rejection tactic, hopefully gonna help:
    1) statement of intent --> basically, a statement saying No.
    2) appreciation for the opportunity, while politely stating your reasonings on your rejection
    3) closure --> another bouts of thank you, and ask them to understand your position on this
    4) ++ --> if you can't agree to the request for now, but would like to hear other opportunities that might come up in the future, do say so politely.

I wouldn't recommend using rejection tactics that would give your teacher a prolonged uncertainty on your actual stance, i.e., excuses like pretending to be sick, since contests have admission deadlines etc, and if you can't/don't want to join, it'll be better to give the opportunity to others. Plus, saying "yes", only to back down in the middle will paint you as an unreliable person, and gonna inconvenience your sponsor (a.k.a the teacher, + your school, if it's not the kind that open for public) and your prospective teammates.

"I'm sorry, sir/maam/teacher, but i would like to focus more on my academics duty. As you've know, I've been lacking in xxx department (mention your worst subject), and remembering that this is my xx (sophomore? Senior?) Year of..... (Elementary? Jhs? Hs? Uni?), and i would like to put all of my concentration to remedy this circumstances. I'm very grateful for the opportunity, and is very honored for you to recommend me, but i hope you can understand."

Rumby, void and Moonpearl like this.
  16. Agentt

Agentt Loves cats and pats and my wife

Reading List:
    Link
    How to not join a contest?
    Pretend you don't exist