Discussion How to Not to Completely F**k Things Up?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Cosmic_, Nov 25, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cosmic_

Cosmic_ [Novel Addict] [Lazy Writer] [Meh Editor]

Reading List:
    Link
    So I've read a lot of novel. I've also gotten into SI novels. One thing I hate in novels is completely avoidable f**k ups especially when it comes from poor or nonexistent planning.

For example, if an MC has accelerated parallel thinking that gives them all the time in the world to think (especially in the case of PA SIs), why do they somehow never plan for when "the plan does not survive contact with the enemy"?

It should be obvious. Then one of next things to plan would be to plan for desperation and stupidity and plan or at least limit likeihood for outside interference.

Anyway, that's most of my venting.

I'm looking for sites that contain guides or lists like the Evil Overlord List. Some kind of universal guide to survival. Your must have Isekai guide type deal. Like a Guide to Common Sense for Novel Protagonists. A mental checklist. Things to prepare for and must haves. Like what to always carry with you if you're in a _______ world.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2019
    readerz and Arash1 like this.
  2. VesperNyan

VesperNyan Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Thats the plan.Not having a plan. That worked very well for Joseph considering he killed 3 GODS of FITNESS and one Ultimate Life form .

Cosmic_ likes this.
  3. lnv

lnv ✪ Well-Known Hypocrite

Reading List:
    Link

Cause 2X Stupid is still stupid, 3X stupid is still stupid. 1000X stupid is still stupid!

So it ain't the fault of parallel thought, its the fault of the retard using it.

4. Lazriser

Lazriser Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Interesting project in the making. Share us the link or invite us, as some of us might be willing to assist or update information on the another world fantasy guide.

5. Silverasterisk

Silverasterisk [Wallflower] [Drive by poster]

Reading List:
    Link
    I hate it when they break character to make them fail just to show they aren't perfect or to add drama.

Vampire Maiden and Cosmic_ like this.
  6. Deleted member 155674

Deleted member 155674 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    Not a site but, does this work?

Vampire Maiden, Cosmic_ and Arash1 like this.
  7. DocB

DocB "I see you, little mouse! Run along"

Reading List:
    Link
    the importance of battle plans would starts appearing in modern time, with instant communication.
    in ancient time, having rank and file soldiers knowing mutiple plan is a good way to cause confusion in your army.
    most plans to surround the enemy would be made on the battlefield where one commander would receive orders to grab x men to follow him (with only the commander knowing where they were going).
    for plans of retreat (when all hell breaks loose), commanders may combine something but most of the time it was just retreat to the nearest friendly city or encampment, but even the most common rank and file soldier could understand that (go home, the way you came from and obey the highest rank member you find).

Last edited: Nov 25, 2019
    readerz and Cosmic_ like this.
  8. Robbini

Robbini Logical? Illogical? Random? Or Just Unique?

Reading List:
    Link
    To be fair, you can prepare for when first contact occurs and things go to hell.
    But... what's the guarantee that you can still prepare for whatever circumstances that actually occur?

9. mystichead

mystichead Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    i am confused... what is SI

10. Cosmic_

Cosmic_ [Novel Addict] [Lazy Writer] [Meh Editor]

Reading List:
    Link
    SI in fanfic means Self Insert. Generally in literature, it just means a writer projecting themselves or living vicariously through the main character, which can result in a Mary Sue.

In a Self Insert fanfic, however, it can be the author literally being transported, reincarnated, or transmitigated into a fictional work. Oftentimes the author, now MC/SI, would have meta-knowlegde of the setting. SIs are a typically the junk-food of fanfic since it falls into the pitfalls of literary SI since they often turn into wishfullfillment. Kinda like how harems are pitfalls, SI can be too. Also like harems, there does exist some good SIs which can have depth, realism, and/or explore new things about a setting or genre.

The Novel's Extra is an example of an author SI. Trash of the Count Family is a reader SI. Omniscient Reader's Viewpoint is a reader SI that goes a layer keeper into the meta-ness of things. Most Reincarnated into a Otome game are SIs. Of course these are fictional settings not in our world/IRL. The most cliche example of a SI fanfic would be like a fan reincarnating into the Harry Potter world.

mystichead likes this.
  11. mystichead

mystichead Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Now all the conversation makes sense rofl

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.