How to prevent illogical plot lines?

Discussion in 'Author Discussions' started by Cian-Chan, Nov 13, 2018.

?

Do you like Mary Sue Novels?

1. Yes, they're wonderful!

4 vote(s)
    10.8%
  2. No way, they're so illogical

9 vote(s)
    24.3%
  3. That's a dumb question

12 vote(s)
    32.4%
  4. What are Mary Sue Novels?

12 vote(s)
    32.4%
  1. Simon

Simon [The Pure One's Chief Steward][Demon Beast]

Reading List:
    Link
    It doesnt matter if the plotline is illogical, as long as it follows the rules of the world.

My best advice would be, to practice writing in different points of view from your own. Use their thoughts and ideas, make agruments that they will say. Just because they may sound illogical, to them it's sound reason.

In the words of Kanye you may be saying something sublime, to the rest of the world they hear 'poopity scoop'.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2018
  2. PoopyDoopy

PoopyDoopy Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Weeeeeeeeeeeell something is making mistakes and another thing is trying to make every fcking pretty girl (do normal and ugly girls even exist on CN?) a love/fuck interest of the MC. Regarding female leads, they tend to be always right, everyone else needs to be an enemy to make the hypocrite of a FL a bit more pleasing to the eyes. Also in this type of novels apart from cannon fodder there doesn't exist average faces. The male leads are always young, succesful and attractive. C'mon they are not even trying.

3. lnv

lnv ✪ Well-Known Hypocrite

Reading List:
    Link
    The easiest way to avoid illogical plot lines is have the plot dictate the MC, not the MC dictate the plot. The issue that happens is that often times an author creates the MC before they create the plot, then tries to shove the MC into said plot. This is why you often see the MC have a sudden personality change when the plot dictates it.

But if you do things backwards where you consider the plot, then make the MC's personality match the plot, you don't run into inconsistencies.

Another important factor is that as much as authors like to explain everything, sometimes it is better left unexplained. The more information an author gives to the reader, the more the author limits themselves. Now I am not saying you shouldn't explain things, but you should always leave some wiggle room.

As far as characters that show up in the story but play a background role, the best way of handling it is intermissions. In this way you can explain details to the reader while at same time not derail the main story.

Cian-Chan likes this.
  4. Kaleidoscope

Kaleidoscope Member

Reading List:
    Link
    This may be blatantly obvious, but what if you reread your entire novel each time you add something to it? That way you can always examine how the plot flows in real time, and in the occasion you feel like changing something you know exactly where that flow diverted. Then by comparing the two outcomes you can decide which one seems better suited to your purposes or which one seems more realistic or fits the mould of the characters you have created.

Also, deciding a few ground rules for the world you create also limits how unrealistic your imagination can get.

5. Cian-Chan

Cian-Chan Disappearing Member

Reading List:
    Link
    That's feasible but I wonder about those lazy or busy authors out there. They wil basically be too busy to reread them or too lazy (and unmotivated). Also, I think that authors need a lot of inspiration.
    I mean what if the author has writer's block. And rereading the whole story makes him/her more confused or unsatisfied with the story (leading to dropping the novel.)

6. Kaleidoscope

Kaleidoscope Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, reading it after every single update could be unnecessary, after having done the whole process a few times you'll know all the important points. On the other hand, if your own story confuses you, then the readers may not even stand a chance, that could be taken as an indication that major editing is needed. Either that or the author was completely drunk or cognitively compromised at the time they found it confusing.
    As for the motivation, I think the more an author is attached to his/her characters, they will be able to imagine the characters living in the created world and use the story of their characters life as motivation. Also, I have found that keeping a few points common between myself and my characters or with people I know really helps. Then if I'm really stuck I can just walk up to said person and ask them what they'd in said situation. So in that sense, the reactions of my characters wont be completely illogical or out of character.
    That turned into rather the long ramble.

Cian-Chan likes this.
  7. reagents 11

reagents 11 disaster personified

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes and you can also ask readers for opinion later.
    Also i think subtle plot armor like how the characters pulling off difficult move,maneuver, or strategy without a hitch should be permitted. Too much realism would make the story boring.

Cian-Chan likes this.
  8. Archaic pickle

Archaic pickle Daoist Heavenly Kimichi

Reading List:
    Link
    Write a story board and have it near you as you progress through the plot line
    [​IMG]
    Maybe make a graph showing underlying character interaction/ foreshadowing

Cian-Chan likes this.