How to teach kids about computers

Discussion in 'Tech Discussion' started by insyder1201, May 13, 2018.

1. raven

raven What to type?

Reading List:
    Link
    Find what he likes and try to make a connection between what he likes and computer.

2. VannVann

VannVann [Drained] 《Worn Out》 GM

Reading List:
    Link
    When I was younger I didn't have internet or games on my computer. I spent most of my time outside but I liked to fiddle with various things. I found microsoft paint and made hundreds of doodles for practice, evenlearned advnaced things like copying, pasting, draw colour and make new colour. I went so far to use Microsof Word. Even if I knew how to write, all I did was type randomly but fast. I liked to pretend that I am one of those cool hackers I saw on the tv or that I was watching a screen and an aliens message was writing itself there. And at the end of it I put Friza as a signature XD. There were plenty of them too. When I got bored I started to fiddle around more. I learned to change size of the letters, chanage their colour, cut and paste, insert images, further customize images, I found those Microsoft pre made pics and loved the rabit.

Then, I moved to Microsoft power point. this is where I truly shined. I quickly found how to change the papers look, found out that I have much more movement freedom, learned to cut and paste, found that window with shapes, found a window with pre made pics, found a way to make new textures and made crazy things with those colour effects. Then, I stumbled upon the animation. This is where I shined the most. I quickly figured how it all works by trial and error (I was a really smart kid as you can see) and started making my very own animated comic. It was all crap but it was fun. I made dungenous, characracters by combining various coloured shapes, timed the animations, made animations play out at the same time, spammed new page and used oversized squares in a single colour as background. It was the most fun ever.

Oh, and some of my childhood friends would just move the icons on the screen around for fun.

Then, we got a diskfilled with pirated games. And I fell in love with Tropix. But, when we went to school and were beimg taught how to operate those programms, on an upgraded version too, I had it easy. All I needed to do was get used to the new lay out and everything else was fine. I was praised for my skills in PowerPoint and Word alike. And to think that I was once freaked out by how the computer mouse worked.

So I donno. Tell your brother he can learn to animate and make cartoons/anime/comics on PowerPoint?

AliceShiki likes this.
  3. Zorgh12

Zorgh12 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The first time I learn how to use a PC is when I was 6 years old...The reason I was interested at them at the time was because I saw my dad was playing Heroes might & magic 3 and starcraft on it. But I still play outside even though I get to play them. I only became a true hikikimori at like 14-15 years old.

4. Kurotsubaki

Kurotsubaki Reincarnation of the Seven Deadly Sins

Reading List:
    Link
    I already play computer since kindergarten, so... Dunno

5. MangoGuy

MangoGuy Rambling Mango

Reading List:
    Link
    Well then, what would you expect the kid to play? Pancake making and the stuff? Honestly, if you think roadrash I'd violent, then Mario has you squashing shit!!

6. TamaSaga

TamaSaga Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The easiest way to teach kids to use a computer is to use one yourself. Instead of forcing them to use it, show off when you use it and make it seem interesting. Then that kid will want to try it themselves.

Once they've started using it...that's when you throw them into the deep end. I.e. Force them to build their own computer and install their own software. They've already invested so they have no choice but to continue.

As a sidenote, be prepared to shell out a ton of time and money. I remember corrupting a Windows 3.1 computer (which arguably isn't hard) and my dad spent hours restoring it.

7. FINN

FINN Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    For me at 7 year old, I was being introduced by my brother to play Computer at 1997. When at that time he was playing old game of Europeans chessboard with a disc- catch which is the old form of flashdisk in that time, and then I'm being teached by my brother and my father how to use computer (without internet) from how to use ms word and ms excel and how to install a software to how to understand all part of computer if the the computer are broken or need to fix.

So my thoughts about the topics is how about you telling your brother the history of computer and it's development into high-tech gadgets and android (tell him up to "how Ipad is born or how to use it in better way", if you can) and then teach him how to make a blog, journal, web, web novels, coding, repairing the computer or anything else of laptops and gadgets (if you know), the prices of all part it need to repair the technology you introduce to him, and tell him the benefits and demerits of the computer and gadgets or handhelds for future reference. If he is more interested in games then teach him how to not being bully or bullied and being scammed (if you are have same hobby to playing the game).

8. Ddraig

Ddraig Frostfire Dragon|Retired lurker|FFF|Loved by RNG

Reading List:
    Link
    Why would you want to get him addicted? I was allowed to play on computer from 11 years with strict control and time limits..... So just dont

9. FINN

FINN Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well I know at that 7yr all kid tend to easily get addicted to something they like until the high school ages, but it all depends on the neighborhood or should I say the area around the house if that area is crowded with many kids playing around outside, and then depends on the families, friends, school, situations, community and lastly as a parents they can make a rules that anyone in the family cannot use any technology or technology ban(to play, to reading, chating, working, etc stuff), (example Pc, mobile phone, gadgets, handhelds) in time or a day when doing family activities, discussions and any stuff.

But, sometimes it is inevitable that the situation may different in each families. Some may tend to use the technology to teach the kids with their homeworks, some may needed to to chat and see their parents (if the parents are working oversea or long distance works) or their kids. And some people prefer using the technology device such as computers, gadgets, mobile phone, handhelds to do exercise, searching for news and information for not being outdated in society.

Conclusion is, if you want to do introducing something, do it occasionally and consider the situation or momentum to do so. Step by step and considerately.

Weather or not you, the parents or any adults that they meets, by "intentionally" or by "accident" teach the kids about the use the technology device and the advantage, be sure that they not become addicted to that, and be sure to check what they are doing for safety measures.

10. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    This is honestly the best answer, if the child isn't interested on a computer... Why teach it to them? Sooner or later they'll need to use a mouse and a keyboard for schoolwork anyway, so it's not like you're in a hurry or anything.

Just make it seem interesting and let the child approach you.

TamaSaga and FINN like this.
  11. Alski

Alski <Insert other title here> Level 25

Reading List:
    Link
    There's a big difference between what is classed as cartoon violence and non cartoon violence, it generally why the latter has an M+ rating.

12. insyder1201

insyder1201 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Lol I'm not trying to get my brother addicted to computers. I've got a Linux Mint VM that I'm using to teach him and it's too slow to run any 3d games. Plus, I use the computer all day cor programming. The reason I want to teach him how to use a computer is because it is much more powerful, you can do programming and stuff. At least if he gets onto a computer from the iPad he can do things other than play his 3d robot games and watch DanTDM

13. noisypixy

noisypixy Sacatunn que pen, que summum que tun.

Reading List:
    Link
    Can confirm.

That's how I learned English too (playing an online game that was only in English when I had only middle school knowledge).

AliceShiki likes this.
  14. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    Comrade!!! *hugs*

I learned the vast majority of my English knowledge from playing games in English while I was still in Elementary/Middle School!

noisypixy likes this.
  15. Truerror

Truerror Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    There's nothing you can do apart from taking that poison away forcefully. He has been poisoned. Only time will tell whether he can expel that poison or not.

IMO, we were interested in making our own game because there was nothing back then (Okay, I'm exaggerating a bit). Nowadays, kids can get free games on their tablets/phones, and they can choose from a heckuva lot of games. I had three games installed in our family's PC when I was in elementary school, and two of them were edutainment games. I forgot what the other one was, but one was the ever-so-famous Mathblaster. Such was the (limited) option we had for electronic entertainment.

16. noisypixy

noisypixy Sacatunn que pen, que summum que tun.

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes, and also not necessarily "create games". You can as well throw Skyrim at their face and wait for that enlightenment moment where they discover that mods are something you can create by yourself. At that point is almost a sealed deal.

I believe Minecraft might also be an option here too.

17. Karm

Karm New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Children loves drawing. You just need to start it with MS-Paint. Don't try to teach them with MS DOS boring commands. Open Paint and ask them to draw some beautiful homes, trees.

18. GekkoZockt

GekkoZockt Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'd suggest you try something with a raspberry pi. There are tons of good projects around that a kid could build. Robots, Smart Speaker Weather station etc.