Resource How To Translate RidiBooks In Case You Didn't Know

Discussion in 'Translator's Corner' started by kokolei, Sep 16, 2021.

1. kokolei

kokolei Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I hope that I am posting this in the right place!

So recently I have been trying to read novels that my fav translators have dropped and discovered a way to translate Ridibooks from the desktop/macbook reader app where you don't need to jump hoops to get screenshots.

So I basically open the Ridibook Reader app on my macbook and then I use an app on my iphone called "Naver Papago - AI Translator" (you can use any translator app that will translate words via camera but I found this app gives the best understandable translations) and I use it to view each page via the "Image" option.

The "Image" option allows you to basically focus your camera on the text and select the translate option. It takes a photo of the image and replaces the Korean text with English text (or whatever your native language is).
    This would be great for translators because this app also give you the option to copy the translated text as well. But for those of us who are just trying to read and not wait on releases, this is great way too!

2. malak mahdy

malak mahdy Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If this is the case, can you send me a link to the applications, and can you also explain with pictures or a video because I actually did not understand the steps

linnfiy likes this.
  3. AnniePoo

AnniePoo Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I think what means is: 1) open the Ridibooks app > purchased book on your tablet then 2) use the Papago translator app & camera on your phone.
    So basically you're using 2 devices to read the book. Quite clever given the gawd awful workaround.

Hey Gang, just tested this out and got to read a few chapters instead of a few pages (from the previous screen shot or copy into translator app work arounds).
    @kokolei thanks so much!

Last edited: Apr 11, 2022
    EchoAndromeda, linnfiy and Asami like this.
  4. NorthBladeTL

NorthBladeTL Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Alternatively, if you own an android phone and windows pc like me, you can use scrcpy to screencast your phone onto your pc, and then take screenshots/video(extract frames) on pc. I do that for both Naver Series and Ridibooks apps because checking back and forth between 2 platforms is a major pain in the ass.

Gumiisland, AnniePoo and linnfiy like this.
  5. AnniePoo

Reading List:
    Link
    CONFIRMED: "Hi Dictionary" works WITHIN the Ridi App. Nothing else required, so no more copy/paste or additional translation apps!!! I'm in heaven.
    Here's what I did from my Android phone:
    1. Download HI Dictionary
    2. Grant app permissions (the app will prompt you through required access set-up)
    TIP: set "Quick Translate" to automatically translate from Korean
    NOTE: If setup correctly, you'll see an expand chevron image on the left of your screen (swipe and icon will appear)
    3. From the Ridi App > open your book > swipe chevron, then double tap HI Dictionary icon to translate the page.
    NOTE: settings allow you to change icon placement and behavior.

That’s it. From each page, you'll double tap the HI Dictionary icon. Happy reading.

HiDictionary translation (Korean to English) is OK. Alternatively, download Universal Copy to copy/paste into the translation app of your choice.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2022
    Shadowwy, Gumiisland, Phase and 7 others like this.
  6. linnfiy

linnfiy Member

Reading List:
    Link
    thanks everyone in this thread!!! especially NorthBladeTL!
    just bought the korean novels which i like and fail in read it. how could i read it with whole korean and didn't allowed copy&paste TmT
    but now i think i can try one more times!

Spoof, NorthBladeTL and AnniePoo like this.
  7. chaoxing

chaoxing Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hello! I am super late to this thread, but I wonder if you could provide a tutorial on how to buy books from Naver Series? I saw from your comment that you read on both Ridi and Naver and I just can't get Naver to work for me :( Thank you.

8. NorthBladeTL

Reading List:
    Link
    Naver Series books are all FREE OF CHARGE. You just need to sign up for a naver account and download the korean version of the app.

9. chaoxing

chaoxing Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I see, thank you! I'm not really familiar with Naver. I always get stuck because of the verification thingy and I just can't seem to have it working.

10. NorthBladeTL

Reading List:
    Link
    Try signing up for Naver using a Line account, the phone number verification doesn't always work when you're not in korea.

11. Chaku

Chaku Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm not able to see hi dictionary on ridi app not sure where quick translate option is can you clarify? The hi button shows up in browsers but not the ridi app

Edit: I found the icon but not the quick translate feature.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2022
    AnniePoo likes this.
  12. AnniePoo

Reading List:
    Link
    I have an android so I was able to download the HI Dictionary app from Play Store.

13. Empress7865

Empress7865 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    This is great idea. I have access to both an iphone and android and Hi Dictionary isn't working in the way you said it would. Quick translate is not available and I haven't been able to find it. But if anyone has another app that works great with Onscreen translation, even the ones that cost money, please post it. But also please make sure its at least have a free trail base. I rather not have to pay for something that doesn't work out in the end.
    The platform I am reading on is Ridi.
    Also is Naver books free still? I just sign up for it.

AnniePoo likes this.
  14. AnniePoo

Reading List:
    Link
    Try Universal Copy.

15. EchoAndromeda

EchoAndromeda Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Really late to this thread but glad to have stumbled on it!
    I recently had my age verified for Ridi but ive been hesitating to pull the trigger, so to speak, and purchase anything because I wasn't sure what my options were going to be after purchase to translate it into English so I CAN read the novels for some of the series I've enjoyed.
    Recently I've been able to find some of the more popular novels that have manhwa adaptions on Google Play Books & there is a highlight to translate feature but ofc it's not always 100% accurate. And each page contains roughly a paragraph double spaced so it requires some patience to get a full understanding. I get impatient at times with waiting for the adaptions to release in English & that's if it gets picked up in the 1st place. Sometimes even when they are serialized in English you can clearly tell while reading that you're not getting the entire scope of the story & that just makes me crazy. I get that when storyboarding the adaptions they have to condense & decide what to include to keep people's attention from wandering elsewhere but I personally want ALL of the context & details. Lol
    Anyways, thanks for a great suggestion here! I think I'll test it out when I get home tonight. Everyone's input is appreciated! :blobhighfive::meowpuffymelt:

Gumiisland likes this.
  16. AnniePoo

Reading List:
    Link
    I recently searched translation apps and came across a review of the top TL apps (Korean - - > English) and Papago and Google still ranked at the top. The article suggested translating to Japanese and then to Korean to get the best results.

Shadowwy and Gumiisland like this.
  17. EchoAndromeda

EchoAndromeda Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh wow, I wouldn't have thought about doing that even on my best day. I wonder why it works that way.
    Since you mentioned it, I read December by SamK (same author as Payback) on a site where it had been translated from Korean to Vietnamese & I MTL'd from that to English and I remember thinking to myself that the writing must've been really good because there wasn't a whole lot of wonky sentences or weirdly translated words lol it was an enjoyable read with the work to do so.
    I def will also try your suggestion as well, I'd like to see a comparison side by side :blobmelt:
    Hope you have a great weekend Annie!

AnniePoo likes this.
  18. debleezie

debleezie New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Epub Drm removal —> calibre pdf export —> copy paste incremental input into chat gpt model 4 with appropriate prompts —> copy to text editor —> export to pdf —> calibre export to epub —> import to ereader app of your choice —> rejoice

Papago and google translate are terrible for fiction as most already know.. there arent enough truly subject expert bilinguals (fiction author bilinguals for KO/ENG) to create and share a literary database or resource bank

Someone mentioned korean to japanese then to english. This is true. The west has much more extensive experience and history translating japanese to english.

but chat gpt will eventually render that obsolete T T

Last edited: Oct 13, 2023
    AnniePoo and Empress7865 like this.
  19. Empress7865

Empress7865 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm not exactly sure what the first part of this post means. Can you explain it more.
    I know your showing how to translate and the steps to do it. But I don't understand

debleezie likes this.
  20. lanzhansboat

lanzhansboat Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    How are you able to dedrm ridibook from calibre? I'm not having any luck and receiving errors. Could you please let me know