How to type better?

Discussion in 'Tech Discussion' started by Qt, May 17, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Qt

Qt Qt is cute

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, basically I learned to touch type, and don't know the proper usage for modifier keys like shift alt ctrl combination. Right now the back of my hand hurts and I want to ease the hurting a little. Anyone knows how?

2. WeiFish

WeiFish Eccentric Grey Sword 『WW Vet.』

Reading List:
    Link
    Do it a lot. Practice makes perfect. As for that pain and strain in the back of your wrist/hand? Just search up hand and wrist stretched online.

3. Archaic pickle

Archaic pickle Daoist Heavenly Kimichi

Reading List:
    Link
    One letter at a time.....
    But to be honest I don't know how to type better... I don't even look at the keys anymore on qwerty

Shem likes this.
  4. Juno

Juno Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Practice makes perfect

Westeller likes this.
  5. Ged Merrilin

Ged Merrilin Cat

Reading List:
    Link
    If your hand hurts regularly, try adjusting the height of your desk or chair. You can also try stretching it by sticking your arm out straight palm up, in a sort of beckoning position and pulling your knuckles towards yourself carefully.

6. Hotato

Hotato Eternally Confused

Reading List:
    Link
  7. itdontevenmatteruknow

itdontevenmatteruknow Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Even if you learn proper typing (which i assume u don't know) ur hands r gona hurt anyways. Too much of something isn't good. A good way to decrease pain is to take rest between typing session. Or maybe use painkillers..... Nothing else really.

Westeller likes this.
  8. Frozen ink

Frozen ink Legally had harem『Cathulu』Power of Love & Evil』

Reading List:
    Link
    write a thesis desu~
    at some point you can type with your eyes closed and your brain thinking of something else desu~
    or play a moba salt is the best teacher desu~

predictingthings and WeiFish like this.
  9. Rivenn

Rivenn 【I eat fruit】【commonhouseman】【RV_n/Rivelle】

Reading List:
    Link
    use a type writer.

of course it's a joke but if you imagine having no backspace, you'll master it in no time lol.

about muscle pains.... it's natural. meh, ask a doctor or smthn

10. WeiFish

Reading List:
    Link
    What's "proper" typing? I just type without looking....

11. AwwGasm

AwwGasm Knows some things.

Reading List:
    Link
    Your ergonomics affect you long term, make sure your typing posture is good. Have good back support, make sure your arms are aligned to your keyboard height.

asriu and WeiFish like this.
  12. Fossil

Fossil 「Spooky」「Scary」「Skeleton」

Reading List:
    Link
    Play music games and you'll be able to type with just two fingers relatively quickly on an iPad. You might be able to figure it out on a laptop afterwards.

...Does anyone else type differently on different devices?

13. Cygsiulle

Cygsiulle error 404: title not found

Reading List:
    Link
    used to be plenty of old typing programs, i think the earliest i learned on was Mavis Beacon Teaches Typing, or something like that. gets the basics down, and after that, you just go off and play some MMO or another that has hotbars out the ass for the modifiers.

as for a phone. you're just SoL. not like people actually use punctuation, right?

14. WeiFish

Reading List:
    Link
    Your forearms when typing should be in an extended and relaxed position. Your shoulders shouldn't be strained or in an awkward position when typing. Not should your wrists be bent. Generally try to type without bending your wrists in an upwards position. Otherwise, on top of everything else, your wrist muscles will be cramped, your shoulders out of place and tight, your elbow joints aching and cracking and if all that is happening your neck will probably be out of whack too.
    If you're going to sit down and/or type for hours on end then you might want to search up and buy an Ergonomic Chair. It really really helps with posture. I spent quite a bit on my ergonomic chair and height adjustable table.

15. justmehere

justmehere Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If the back of your hand is stiff,
    Its probably due to your keyboard position, too close to you while youre typing. common sense can prevail. Either you time yourself whenever youre using computers, adjust your keyboard position while minding your wrist comfort, etc. If any of those fails, use natural keyboard.
    As for typing faster, you can paint your keyboard using color coding blocking the letters on your keyboarf. I swear to god although it sounds counter-productive, once you block those letters, you would be forced to remember the letters position relative to your index fingers and youll be able to type in godly speed in no time.

16. Qt

Qt Qt is cute

Reading List:
    Link
    I can touch type alright. Using modifier keys too. It is just that I never worked out my right hand's usage of modifier keys and my left hand's back causing me considerable pain. Well... The usage of computer keyboard and heavy usage of left hand in playing keyboard is the cause, I think.

WeiFish likes this.
  17. Ignus

Ignus Philosopher of Flames

Reading List:
    Link
    One of the best things is to stand up and move away from your PC for 5 mins every hour. Stretch, etc.
    Also helps prevent eye strain. But the most important thing is that you reset your body, when you sit back down you focus on proper ergonomic posture.

18. forecast

forecast [Batoto Veteran] [sakurahana veteran]

Reading List:
    Link
    just keep typing, also if you have nothing to do stretch your fingers.
    Air typing in your free time should also help.

The more you type the easier it is.
    Try to find a book that uses a lot of symbols like a Physics book and practice typing those.
    It should help speed things up.

19. WeiFish

Reading List:
    Link
    Stretch
    Extend your left arm out straight and rotate your wrist clockwise until the top of your wrist faces to your right. Have your left hand bend such that your fingers point outwardly to the left. Use your right hand to pull slightly backwards to stretch your wrist muscle.

20. Westeller

Westeller Smokin' Sexy Style!! Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Eh. No matter what you do, if you type a hell of a lot you're going to have some kind of problems. Breaks are really the only solution. ... Maybe try changing your character to the silent type that treats every word like solid gold and tries to explain complex things in shorthand expressions that make no sense except to one random person who interprets for you. Y'know, so you type less.