Tutorials & Resources How to use the basic features of Novel Updates.

Discussion in 'Novel Updates Site Discussion' started by brianf, Dec 1, 2015.

1. brianf

brianf Pvt. Slime

Reading List:
    Link
    Are you new to Novel Updates? Maybe you have questions regarding how to use it? If so, just read this for some basic information regarding the features of this site.
    I don't guarantee that this is covers everything though hahaha

Reading List
    The Reading List allows you to keep track of novels you are reading. You can manually update your progress, allowing you to easily remember which chapters you've read. All you have to do is click the check box corresponding to the latest chapter you've read, and it will automatically update your list.
    Screen shot 2015-12-01 at PM11.04.50.png

From the list, you can access the link to the series' NovelUpdate page, the link to the last release, as well as the latest releases of the series you have read. And, by clicking the book icon Screen shot 2015-12-01 at PM11.15.25.png on the right of your list, you may also directly access links up to 3 subsequent releases beyond the chapter you have read, as well as the last chapter you have read.
    Screen shot 2015-12-01 at PM11.02.38.png

Clicking the Screen shot 2015-12-01 at PM11.13.04.png button will update the novel's status in your reading list to the latest release.

Clicking the Settings link Screen shot 2015-12-01 at PM11.18.39.png in the top right of your list will allow to access additional features. Screen shot 2015-12-01 at PM11.18.52.png
    • Enable reading list: This is on by default. Toggling this off will remove the checkboxes from the main release page, and series' release list, preventing you from being able to update your reading list. It will not reset your list, nor prevent you from viewing it.
    • Highlight My Status Release: When ticked, the last release of each series that you have read will be highlighted by the colour of your choosing.
    • Hightlight New Release: When ticked, releases that you have yet to read will be highlighted by the colour of your choosing.
    • Highlight Read Release: When ticked, releases you have already read will be highlighted by the colour of your choosing. If you have Highlight My Status Release unticked, the latest release for each series you have read will be highlighted with this colour.
    • Enable Public List: Whether only you (when logged in) or everyone may view your reading list when they access the link.
    Note that if there are no linked releases for a series it cannot be added to your reading list. If you want to add this to your list you may either add the release to the site by yourself (tutorial by Lachiel), or tag it. The latter option will not allow you to keep track of which chapters you have read. Screen shot 2015-12-01 at PM10.34.12.png

Last edited: Dec 2, 2015
  2. brianf

brianf Pvt. Slime

Reading List:
    Link
    Series Tagging
    Want to keep your novels more organized? Or maybe you want to take note of novels that you want to read, but for whatever reason have not.

To tag a novel, simply click on the drop down box at the top left of a series' NovelUpdate page, and choose a tag list to add it to.
    Screen shot 2015-12-01 at PM10.40.05.png
    By default, you will only have the "Hide Me" tag list. Adding a series to this list will hide it's releases from the main release page. To add a series to another tag list, you will have to create a new tag list. To do this, click the Series Tagging link in your side bar, and then click the Edit Lists link the in tabs.
    Screen shot 2015-12-01 at PM11.57.02.png
    From there, you may create a new tag list: choose an icon from the list, name it, and (optionally) provide a short description. You can also manage your existing tag lists (deleting, changing their names or descriptions, changing their icons).
    Screen shot 2015-12-02 at AM12.04.05.png

Aside from the series' NovelUpdate page, you may also add novels to your tag list from the list itself by clicking the Add Series button in the top left. From there, you may select several novels, and then click "Bulk Add".

Additional features for Series Tagging may be accessed by clicking the Settings link in the Series Tagging page. Screen shot 2015-12-02 at AM01.01.05.png
    • Enable Series Tagging: If this is unticked, tags will not be visible on the release page, or the series' page. You will also be unable to tag a series directly from a page, however, you may still add a series to a tag list from the list's page as well as move series between lists.
    • Favourites: You may select ONE tag list where the latest releases of that series that have that tag will appear at the top of the main release page for improved visibility. Only if it is already on the main release page. Screen shot 2015-12-02 at AM12.39.27.png

Note that each series can only be added to one tag list. Attempts to add a series to a second tag list will be nulled. You can still, however, move a series from one tag list to another if you decide that one tag is more appropriate. This can be done from either the series' NovelUpdate page, or by ticking the series in one list, and choosing the name of the tag list you want to move it to from the drop down box. This will automatically move to series from one tag list to another WITHOUT CONFIRMATION.

3. brianf

brianf Pvt. Slime

Reading List:
    Link
    Series Filtering
    This feature allows you to see that latest releases for a select few series. You may choose to show between 25 and 200 (in increments of 25) of the series you select. Note that it is possible that not all your selected series will show up in the list, because the results shown are arranged in chronological order of release. It can be accessed from the Series Filtering link in the sidebar.

Screen shot 2015-12-02 at AM01.16.13.png

One use of this feature is to avoid having to switch pages on a series' NovelUpdates page when you are binge-reading a series. (the maximum number of releases shown per page on a series' page is 15)

4. brianf

brianf Pvt. Slime

Reading List:
    Link
    Release Filtering
    This feature allows you to control what kind of series are shown on your main release page. Maybe you only want action novels to be shown? Or you want to avoid yaoi or yuri novels?

To use this feature, go to the Release Filtering link in your sidebar. From there you can choose the genres of the series that you want shown, and you want hidden, from the main release page. Releases cannot be filtered by tags, for example, it is impossible to set it to only show series that have the Reincarnation tag.
    Screen shot 2015-12-02 at AM01.36.27.png
    Filters will not narrow down series that have all the genres. If they have either tag, they will be shown/hidden. So for example:
    • I set my show filter to [Action, Fantasy] and my hide filters to [Yaoi, Yuri].
    • Releases that have EITHER Action, or Fantasy will be shown. Shown releases can be of the Action genre, but not of Fantasy, and vice versa;
      releases have EITHER Yaoi, or Yuri will be hidden. Releases do not have to be of both genres to be hidden.
    If you want to search for a more specific type of series, you can use the Series Finder or refer to the I'm Looking For ... section of the forums.

This will only filter from releases that would be shown when there are no filters. So for example:
    • I set my show filters to [Action; Fantasy]
    • The main release page (when unfiltered) has zero series of the Action or Fantasy genre.
    • Zero releases will be shown; releases from other pages will not be shown.

Make sure that you do not put the exact same genres in both input boxes, otherwise your main release page will show zero releases, with the exception of your any series that are in your favourite tag list.
    Screen shot 2015-12-02 at AM01.42.58.png Screen shot 2015-12-02 at AM01.44.14.png
    ///hahah... I accidentally found a bug @Tony

5. brianf

brianf Pvt. Slime

Reading List:
    Link
    User Profile Page
    From here you can see your display name, profile picture(from the forums), rank (calculated based on things such as number of releases added, reviews written, and series ranked, etc.), and past activity. You may also access the pages to add releases, translator groups, or series. This can be accessed by clicking your profile name in the top right, or by clicking the User Profile link the the sidebar.
    Screen shot 2015-12-02 at AM02.43.50.png
    Screen shot 2015-12-02 at AM02.03.26.png

More features can be accessed by clicking the Settings link in the top right.
    • Enable Styles: By default, the normal lighter theme is used. You may switch to the dark theme (used in majority of the pictures here) by choosing it from the drop down box.
      Screen shot 2015-12-02 at AM02.10.01.png
    • Enable Origin Tagging: Ticking this will show the original language of the series on the main release page (i.e. Chinese, Japanese, or Korean).
      Screen shot 2015-12-02 at AM02.12.28.png [color]
      Screen shot 2015-12-02 at AM02.14.12.png [no color]

6. brianf

brianf Pvt. Slime

Reading List:
    Link
    reserved.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2015
  7. Aicila

Aicila Huh?

Reading List:
    Link
    Great work!
    ed. Ill delete this if you want me to

8. elv21

elv21 The One Who Steal Ice Cream !! Again !!

Reading List:
    Link
    Where i can change title below the name ??
    Exmpl : brian with 'The Immortal Slime' and aicila with 'huh?'

9. Aicila

Aicila Huh?

Reading List:
    Link
    You need 100 posts first. Then you can write a custom.

Himawari and elv21 like this.
  10. elv21

elv21 The One Who Steal Ice Cream !! Again !!

Reading List:
    Link
    Aigoo~ T.T
    That's many.. Any other feature when someone got 100 post ?

11. Aicila

Aicila Huh?

Reading List:
    Link
    It's actually not that many if you stick around. No, that's it.

hillo315 and elv21 like this.
  12. Archangel_chak

Archangel_chak Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    How to change your avatar? I did this on forum, but on site i don't know how.....

13. Shio

Shio Moderator Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Your avatar in forum and site is the same :)

14. Admiral_Mikan

Admiral_Mikan Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Is there any way to hide specific title from my release list? I actually don't really like most of chinese novel, and so I used release filtering and exclude wuxia and xuanhuan. But suprisingly enuff, I do like certain xianxia titles. That's why I want to at least hide some xianxia titles one-by-one.

Thanks.

15. Shio

Shio Moderator Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    There is. :)
    From your reading list, made a new list for series that you want to filter from main page. After you finished, click on the new list you just made and from list setting, click "Hide from Main Release Page". You could now go to the series page and add series to your hide-list

This tutorial is a little bit outdated, as NU no longer use series tagging. For more complete information, you could read reading list tutorial

Himawari likes this.
  16. Asura_Heart

Asura_Heart Member

Reading List:
    Link
    How do you review a series? I wrote a review but it's not showing up at all..

17. Nimbus

Nimbus Vagantem Numen, Lord of Riddles

Reading List:
    Link
    Reviews require approval of a mod, afore 'tis shown. If this One is not mistaken.

hillo315 and akki like this.
  18. Asura_Heart

Asura_Heart Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Ohh, I see; thanks!

19. devilsadvocate

devilsadvocate Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    heya guys....thing is i changed my forum avatar thinking that it will also change the site avatar...but it did not. help me out here please

20. Qianweijia

Qianweijia Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    ... That's pretty disappointing then considering how bad some the reviews are. I guess the mods are keeping obvious trolls out though.

Accellia likes this.