How Would You Build a Transmedia Franchise?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Wujigege, Nov 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    What is your take on a transmedia franchise?
    How would you go about building one? Any ideas or suggestions is welcome.
    I am fishing for inspiration, even ecchi and perverted sages are welcome to give their take.
    I promise to remove you from my ignore list if you provide something useful
    Summon!! Pervy Daoists @elengee @Cupcake Ninja
    https://www.thebookseller.com/futurebook/how-turn-book-entertainment-franchise-330282
    https://www.quora.com/What-does-Transmedia-franchise-mean
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Media_franchise#Transmedia_franchise
    PS There is no such thing as a bad idea. Just buried ideas and ideas that are shared
    http://community.uservoice.com/blog/no-bad-ideas/

2. PoopyDoopy

PoopyDoopy Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Weeeeeeell, first of all you would need to have a very solid base with almost all basic lores and physical laws explained while limiting the magical ones. The rest would be just having a shit ton of mods and regulators.

Wujigege likes this.
  3. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    A successful media franchise needs:

• Memorable and interesting character names
    • Episode Titles that convey something about the story or ‘episode’ being told
    • A central hook and resonating themes for each character
    • Central hooks, features, and themes of the unique world behind the story you are telling
    • Adaptive Memes – Concepts that work across all mediums: Novels, films, and video games
    https://writerunboxed.com/2007/08/02/how-to-make-your-novel-into-a-media-franchise/

4. Donszas

Donszas Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Pfff.Shameless!Only way to do so!
    Have women with charming voices read the chapters,and add some bait pictures of said women to the chapter posts

Wujigege likes this.
  5. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    Hahaha you just reminded me why Otome games or Dating Sims are the best first adaptation to make off a novel

6. Kuro_0ni

Kuro_0ni Cocooned in a Life transition

Reading List:
    Link
    I would think one of the most successful transmedia franchises is the Halo Universe.
    [​IMG]
    First released on Microsoft's flagship Xbox game console.

-The game paved the way for the current era of First-Person shooter titles. Older games enclosed the player to narrow spaces and tight environments, Halo: Combat Evolved changed the industry by revolutionizing playable environments.

-The game spanned into various other mediums, derivative works and parodies. (Novels, Comics, Movies, Soundtracks, Toys & Figurines, etc)

a) To this date 13 game titles have been released on all platforms, PC, Console, Android & iOS.

b) Machinima became a coined genre with Rooster Teeth's Halo parody (Red vs Blue) spanning 16 seasons to date.

c) Live action shorts brought rise to the games hype, "Believe" "Landfall" "We are ODST" etc.

d) Various movies both Live action and animated "Halo Legends", "Forward unto Dawn", etc.

e) In print, to date 28 novels have been published, both which follow the main story line of the game series as well as standalone titles with their own Main Characters.

Phew.... I'll stop here, I could add more but its okay. This franchise rose to success from back in 2001, its been over a decade and now it is part of current pop/gaming culture.

Wujigege likes this.
  7. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    Hahaha took you long enough. Thanks
    Now I am just waiting for @lnv and @ToastedRossi to find this thread

Kuro_0ni likes this.
  8. lnv

lnv ✪ Well-Known Hypocrite

Reading List:
    Link
    Hmm... luck and backing really? It kind of works like memes. I remember reading an article about a week ago about a fortnite meme and one said this:
    "With memes, you can’t plan on being one—you’re picked to be one"

Same thing with a franchise. We have seen plenty attempts at creating one that despite high budget fell through while others which were seemingly unremarkable just take off.

So the first thing one needs is a ton of luck, followed by securing enough backing to pull it off.

It doesn't even need to be good, just has to click with people at the time.

I mean that is simply the harsh reality of it.

Wujigege likes this.
  9. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    What I have in mind is low cost mobile games which will be dating sims to develop interest in adapted works.
    Sex sells but romance sells even better since those under 18 can get it too.
    I can sell R18 components as unlockables too

10. lnv

Reading List:
    Link
    From my understanding, dating games don't exactly do that well in the western market. I'm not saying it isn't worth a try, just temper your expectations. Especially with how crowded the mobile gaming market is becoming. A lot of the games spend serious money advertising within each other to get people.

That said, I'm not sure most novel content is made for a dating sims are they? or are you planning to just take a harem novel and make routes for each harem member?

11. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes harem novels. Regular and reverse harem.
    The games will be more like visual novels or interactive novels as comics are a money sink and very easy to pirate. Kissmanga can't upload an app on their website

12. lnv

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, money sink aside, if your goal was to create a franchise, you would WANT it to be pirated. Being pirated means that it gets more publicity, and you can either make your money elsewhere or take steps to make it harder to almost impossible to pirate.

13. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    You only want things pirated when you are a known company.
    Most people prefer to install their apps from the app store for security reasons
    But manga is different.
    If my comic ends up on kissmanga the watermarks will most likely be removed

14. lnv

Reading List:
    Link
    No, the opposite, that is how you get your name known. Some self published authors on purpose release their stuff pirated to gain publicity.

I doubt kissmanga will spend the effort of removing watermarks. I mean mangadex published a novel that effectively is "kissmanga sucks" and that got republished. These are done by automated bots after all.

Not to mention the key is to make it easy at first, but then make it more and more difficult after to the point that they won't be able to do it or it'll be too annoying to do it. (or sending fake promotional stuff)

15. Kuro_0ni

Reading List:
    Link
    Well if your work is being pirated, that would mean. There are individuals or groups of people that see value in what you have to offer.

Rather than to combat piracy, its best to use it to gain notoriety. much like what Inv pointed out.

As for watermarks, depending on how you place it and how much of a hassle it is to remove it. Most aggregators {pirates} just leave it in

16. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    I have seen a good number of manga with watermark removed. I don't read manga anymore. I guess they have gotten lazy.
    I also know of people whom no one ever heard of because of piracy.
    I have readers on my website as proof of that.

17. Kuro_0ni

Reading List:
    Link
    I guess depending on the platform, results will vary (Manga vs WN/LN). I can only speak for my experience, with aggregators {bots & people} taking my translations.

When I began my translations back in May of this year. Basically I was re-translating missing chapters from the NU directory (Volume 3 Ch6 & Ch7). I didn't put watermarks in my work, because I was naive to believe, not a lot of people would search for my work. And I initially was just going to do 2 chapters and be done with it. It was after some encouragement, that I decided to adopt this novel and keep on going.

I didn't start to put watermarks until I completed my fourth chapter (Volume 3 Ch 9). After which, I noticed a bump in the amount of visitors my site received, due to Word-presses simple traffic analysis. After the watermark process (roughly 50~100 more visitors). I did some research and found my translations on about 8+ sites, just by google searching for my watermark.

Let's Fast Forward to when I surpassed the last updated chapter. When I uploaded my Volume 3 Chapter 18, that's when I got a big boost to my viewership from visitors.

Site Stats.jpg Extra 2.jpg
    Site Stats 2.jpg
    Extra.jpg
    Blacked out the sites that rehost my work, but at least they still have my watermark, which links to my site. Arguably majority of my viewership comes from NU directory. But on some of the aggregator sites, they at least list me (in name) as the current translator, so I'm not big on it. And one (aggregator) in particular which has disqus, some users pretty much mention my site

Wujigege likes this.
  18. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    I am interested in implementing a watermark on my translations maybe you can help me with that.
    Bato.to died because of pirates. I see no advantage. I stopped calling them aggregators. NU is an aggregator.
    I wanted to send DMCA but the service costs $1000 lol

19. lnv

Reading List:
    Link
    No one said there is an advantage to having stuff pirated, but that doesn't mean it can't be used to one's advantage like all things. As I explained, the best way to go is;
    1) First make it easy to pirate
    2) Then add more and more watermarks
    3) Then make it more and more difficult to pirate

PS There is no cost to sending a DMCA.

Wujigege likes this.
  20. Kuro_0ni

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm not sure if its viable for your platform, but all I did was simple tweaks to my translations. And my watermark will only affect bots or individuals, that copy paste my work.

As far as my current watermark goes, I just place hidden text, in-between my translations.
    My secondary watermark, is by picture texting or making, a paragraph/sentence or some important part of the story as a picture.

The examples in the spoiler is referencing my translated chapter (vol 3 ch19)
    excerpt.jpg

excerpt2.jpg

So basically I will upload my chapter, give it a day or several hours, for the chapter to be distributed and copy pasted. Then I revise the picture links, so that aggregator bots have errors with their version of my works.

Again, these tweaks will only work for bots & copy pasting people. Anybody seriously taking the time to scour my chapters to remove the watermarks or to double check my links. Is better off translating the chapter themselves.

My translation work model isn't business oriented, so it's probably not viable for your platform, but maybe you can think of something or modify it to your needs.

Wujigege likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.