Discussion Huge respect for IET for creating these classics.

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Daresan, Jul 15, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Daresan

Daresan Well-Known CN Master

Reading List:
    Link
    I love iet works. It was his novels that really got me into reading a lot of novels and sucked me into never ending world of cultivation. Even though they have grown on me these works are legend. Best part of iet is in this endless harem of xianxia there is only one path to immortality. Harem in xianxia sucks so hard that novels that i would have normally liked becomes unbearable when mc goes and picks up girls like vegetables. IET novels are the only path to salvation. There is no need to talk about cuttlefish that loves diving, he is best chinese author hands down whose romance subplot are extremely good and fulfilling according to limited number of novels that i have read. Er gen is another author i respect and his works i still find extremely good. He kind of sucks in romance subplot but still way better love story than mc picking vegetables.

My favourite iet novels ranking
    1. Desolate era
    2. Coiling dragon
    3. Lord xue ying
    4. Stellar transformation
    5. Swallowed star

Last edited: Jul 15, 2020
  2. shianthiestrada

shianthiestrada Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I could never read the 4th but I love his novels

zanari likes this.
  3. kira1011

kira1011 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Tbh the 4th is the best follow by 2nd.other I did finish reading yet

otaku31 likes this.
  4. silenze

silenze Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The 4th got me started on Wuxia/Xianxia

otaku31 likes this.
  5. slightofhand

slightofhand Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    IET has mastered the art of writing the same novel with different characters.

SamStrike and Wujigege like this.
  6. Daresan

Reading List:
    Link
    Yea i have read these 5 and i dont know why desolate era was the one that i enjoyed the most. Coiling dragon was the first iet novel i read thats why stellar transformation didnt gave me as much hype as it was supposed to but still completed it cause i love iet novels.

Shallow79 and Kumo723 like this.
  7. Daresan

Reading List:
    Link
    Yea i can understand where you are comming from but when there is nothing to read iet novels are safest bet.

8. Chupchup

Chupchup Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I could never finish his books.. they always start good and have some good moments but then it gets into the you killed my 2nd brother and I'm here for revenge, you killed my 3rd brother and I'm here for revenge, etc etc... and then you killed my 2nd cousin in law on my mothers side and I'm here for revenge...

Also after awhile there's never really any tension... it's just the MC going around picking up treasures..

SamStrike, Wujigege and asriu like this.
  9. All The Wrong Novels

All The Wrong Novels Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I only read Coiling Dragon, and it was okay enough to finish, but I didn't get a lot of the hype. It was my second cultivation novel, where I know a lot of people started there, so perhaps a big part is being the first time reading the story like that. A lot of people said they liked the characters, but most of them didn't seem to have any genuine interaction together and at best had kind of gimmicky personalities. I liked the idea of sculpting as a hobby that was also part of his cultivation but it kind of got underutilized and dropped out entirely after the beginning.

The middle section where there were different experts fighting to help them contemplate the laws was very good, but still a very small portion of the overall story. But the whole Divine Spark system introduced later was kind of dumb, why design the system to make side characters become irrelevant?

I still haven't finished too many cultivation novels so I dunno where it stands compare to all the others. People seem to like Desolate Era more so I may eventually read that when I run out of other things to try first.

Wujigege likes this.
  10. Sparteh

Sparteh The Devourer

Reading List:
    Link
    I have finished all 5 as well, and based on my preferences, I would put it in this order:
    1 - CD
    2 - ST
    3 - DE
    4 - LXY
    5 - SS
    While each of the novels, have their strengths, they also have problems. Overall, when I read IET works, they just feel that similar. CD is one of my first CNs, so I feel a bit nostalgic about it. Overall, I found its concept the most fun as well. Maybe because nearly everyone in CNs train in swords or spears, so I am completely bored by it.

Well, there are not that many authors who succeeded writing more than 1 decent or at least well known novel. For example, from my memory, besides IET and Er Gen I could name Mao Ni, Mars Gravity and Plagiarist. The thing is that Mars Gravity novels are not only 100% cliche harems, but also literally the same. Mao Ni and IET are in better situation because their novels are much higher quality, but the thing is that they are way to similar. Plagiarist literally copy works of others and make them better than original. Er Gen's situation looks better than others, though I was not a fan of AWE.
    Overall, personally for me Er Gen>IET. While romance aspect is (much) weaker in his novels, his novels differ one from another greatly (PotT and AWE). In addition, PotT alone probably had more MC's character development, better dao comprehension, more emotions and main plot than all IET's novels together...

11. Daresan

Reading List:
    Link
    Well its a given er zen writing and story are much better than iet. I still find his story extremely awesome but iet novels have already grown on me. I had already mentioned at the begginning. But still iet novels are classics. Er zen novels i wont even mind re-reading them but i cannot imagine re-reading iet novels.

12. Number One Dumpling

Number One Dumpling 『Mrs. Bread's』『hibernating』

Reading List:
    Link
    I've read desolate era and coiling dragons and i haven't started reading the other three but what should i read first?

13. Kumo723

Kumo723 玄夜的帝后

Reading List:
    Link
    None of them is really xianxia or wuxia. It's XuanHuan. WUXIA doesn't be magicy stuff and XianXia is all about immortality and the dao. A genuine or closer/more accurate example of XianXia is Spirit Sword Mountain, My Disciple Died Yet Again, or Ze Tian Ji

14. xiansho

xiansho Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Desolate Era and Stellar Transformation are both Xianxia with immortals and whatever.

15. Kumo723

Kumo723 玄夜的帝后

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't know about stellar trans. But I have to disagree on desolate era especially. Xianxia gives a more elegant and (chinese)heaven sorta feel while desolate era gives a more rough and down to earth feeling. Desolate Era doesn't feel celestial at all

16. Bachingchung

Bachingchung Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    if you read 2 of his works, then you finally got IET out of your system. I read 4 and only finished one.

17. Daresan

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes but when you have nothing else to read they will do just fine.

18. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    Please don't call these crap wuxia.
    It is a disrespect to the genre.
    Do yourself a favor and learn the definition of the word.
    Also, I take offense to his books being considered classics.
    I couldn't even read half way to any...

If his works are classics then what will you consider Jin Yong's works to be?

His books are good and have an audience but it's a stretch to call them classics.
    Classics are enjoyed by a majority either male or female.
    I find it hard to believe you can recommend any of his works to a female friend.

They are just testosterone power trips

19. Daresan

Reading List:
    Link
    I am not saying they are best no matter how you look at it its just average writing. I am just saying these novels got me into reading CNs thats why they are classics for me. Ofcourse there are a lot of bad wuxia as well. Wuxia just happens to be historical romance and martial arts which kind of is at least realistic than xianxia while xianxia happens to be wuxia on steroids. Its just matter of preference do you prefer high fantasy or low fantasy?

Last edited: Jul 22, 2020
  20. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    Trust me these are not wuxia. Legend of three Condor Heroes is wuxia.
    Wuxia could be roughly translated as moral hero. Morality is the last thing these stories promote.

Low fantasy and high fantasy is just fine but my pet peeve is the financial aspect.
    Money is worthless in these novels.

Tales of the Reincarnated Lord with Kingdom Building is to my taste before he starting raping every female he met.

Past Life Returner is the type of story that I enjoy.
    I just need to raise funds to completely translate it as soon as possible so I can binge read it.

My Castle, My Castellan also.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.