Discussion I’m fed up with the attitude of certain harem MC.

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Cutter Masterson, Apr 6, 2020.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cutter Masterson

Cutter Masterson Well-Known Super-Soldier

Reading List:
    Link
    Warning!
    Venting about to begin.
    So here’s the thing. I love Harems, even reverse Harems. Sure I would like to see the MC find his one true love and the many good character developments. But there are a few that really rub me the wrong way. If the MC was sterile that would be one thing, but I draw the line where kids are involved. If your going to get a girl pregnant you need to step up and be a man. The whole sleeping with many women is every mans dreams. Which is fine after a fashion, but than you read how the MC are never there for the kid really annoys me.
    For instance Isekai normally transport or reincarnate to another world. Than like most novels you see the MC gets stronger one way or another.
    The problem I have is the MC drops all responsibility of his family and focus on grinding. When all he needs to do is bring some sort of technology from his original world. Than his family would be living contently and than you could go train. No. That would be to boring. Let’s let the poor mother do all the work.
    What also irritating is the women. I know you love the MC, but seriously don’t you feel lonely because the d@#$bag is off training. While the women is stuck with the kids. What makes it worse is he’s not seeing to the FL needs. Why would any women go through with that.
    Kids are more than acquaintances. Their even more than your legacy. Their family. Treating them any other way. Would only hurt the MC in the long term.
    At least that’s how I see it.

asriu, Nyaa.23, imK and 6 others like this.
  2. leegood

leegood Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    :blobhero::blobhero::blobhero: *slays negligent father mcs*

imK, Cutter Masterson, Lushwf and 2 others like this.
  3. PotatoZero

PotatoZero Well-known Potato

Reading List:
    Link
    They're

4. Stormaggeddon

Stormaggeddon Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    i see your rant and agree with it. it seems the authors only care about how many women the MC can get Jiggy with but doesn't care about what might happen in 9mos. let's castrate the useless MC. then he can grind all he wants. lol

Lachaize, imK and Cutter Masterson like this.
  5. Miserys_End

Miserys_End 「Lv1 Pretend Person」I'm the preson i pretend to be

Reading List:
    Link
    I cant say I've run into many of those... which makes me wonder if it wasnt of CN or even KR origins. Most Japanese protags either are just to stupid to see the harem of women around them, or evolve some sex based power to prevent such events from happening unless wanted.

Nah, no need to castrate them, much better plot device to give them ED. That way they have and excuse as to why they spend so much time grinding.

imK and Cutter Masterson like this.
  6. Goblin Sleuth

Goblin Sleuth Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The disparity between eastern and western media can be difficult to adjust to. In western media having a child or getting married is often used to mark the end of the heroes journey. It represents that the ordeal is over, and that it's now up to the next generation to take up the adventurer's mantle. Of course this is not an absolute rule, it is possible for the protagonist to already have a family before his adventure starts. In this case though his family is usually what motivates the adventure; getting a rare elixir for his sick child, finding his kidnapped wife, avenging his family's murder, etc. The point is that the protagonist has a justifiable reason for going off on an adventure, he is not abandoning his family, he is doing it for them.

Lachaize, imK and Cutter Masterson like this.
  7. Anra7777

Anra7777 All powerful magic grammar hamster queen pirate.

Reading List:
    Link
    It kinda reminds me of a real life case I read about where a guy went around sleeping with many, many, many women and giving them children. He was in front of the court because he was behind in child support for all of them and yet kept up his sleeping habits. (Apparently he was against wearing condoms...?) The court wanted to give him the punishment that he’d be put in jail if he ever had another kid before paying off his child support. I think this ended up being the dissent. I do remember that all the women judges were against the proposed punishment as it would force the women he slept with to get an abortion or force the guy into jail. And there I was thinking, “he’d deserve it.”

imK and Cutter Masterson like this.
  8. Cutter Masterson

Reading List:
    Link
    I agree. That does sound some what reasonable, but I also believe he still has responsibility that he can’t just drop. Instead of living in the past. The MC needs to respond to the present and the future. A sick child fits that. Kidnapped wife fits too. Family murder? Only if there is no more family members. I can see leaving a child behind with MC parents or even grandparents. But just the wife. No.
    At least that’s what I believe.

imK likes this.
  9. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    Honestly, I'd insta drop any novel in which the main character was an absent parent (Unless the entire premise of the novel was focusing on the impact of them being an absent parent that is, in this case I'd read it)... I can't bring myself to read something with this kind of character.

Cutter Masterson likes this.
  10. Cutter Masterson

Reading List:
    Link
    I totally agree. Unfortunately it’s like an itch you can’t scratch. I love the weak to strong novels. Than again I hate how the MC treats his kids. I guess I’m a glutton for punishment. I know it’s a vicious cycle.

imK likes this.
  11. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    :blobpats::blobpats::blobpats::blobpats::blobpats::blobpats::blobpats::blobpats::blobpats::blobpats:

12. Hanten

Hanten Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Literally dragon ball

13. Lachaize

Lachaize Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It strangely remind me of coiling dragon...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.