I’ve been ruined!!

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Felmon, Mar 22, 2019.

?

Have your tastes been changed?

Poll closed Mar 29, 2019.
  1. Nah you crazy

18.0%
  2. I’m now a psychopath

41.0%
  3. Nope western still bae

4.9%
  4. Abit but nothing drastic

26.2%
  5. I can never go back

31.1%
  6. Your taste in novels is shite

23.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Eolan

Eolan Totally serious poster

Reading List:
    Link
    Will Wight - Cradle

qwerty1 likes this.
  2. Felmon

Felmon Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Ive checked out everything you’ve suggested before and I especially love the land series and have read them all.

3. Felmon

Felmon Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Read it and couldn’t really get into it. Though I plan to go back and read it again in the future.

4. Nuinui

Nuinui Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I feel the same like you right now towards western novels, but for a slightly different reason.

I think the huge difference between western and eastern culture is the attitude towards "Gary Stu" and "Mary Sue" characters. It seems like perfect/OP characters are considered flat and boring for those who prefer western novels, while it's the complete opposite for those who read eastern novels. Some readers want to see the main character suffering and toiling through obstacles, while others rather see the main character making others suffer. It's an interesting contrast, isn't it? I wonder how much one's culture affects one's preference for types of novels. (I've found eastern novels placing a huge emphasis on revenge and overkill which almost borders on gore, while western novels seem to emphasize forgiveness and redemption more.)

Personally, I just love reading in general, so I read both western and eastern novels. What I decide to read is really dependent on what I'm craving for. I've found that western novels just have better world-building and character development. But on the other hand, if I just want to read about the MC blasting obstacles out of the way, without any much risk to their own lives and their comrades' lives, then I go for eastern novels. (Western novels use the death card too often, and I'm a wimp who can't stand bad endings.)

Felmon likes this.
  5. Felmon

Felmon Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I feel you man I can’t stand bad ends

Nuinui likes this.
  6. Omnicast

Omnicast Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I used to read a shit ton of American novels and comics... now... barely touch the stuff. Then again this was around the time Borders was still around. I'd hit up my shitty shopping mall and just crash the reading aisle at the Borders there... read through the comics and look for fantasy novels. Sometimes I'd check out some of those fancy picture books about animals or medieval diagrams. The ones about castles and shit. :cookie:

Later on I grew up and started to drive... went to another Borders... this time with a coffee lounge... got some coffee and a book and burned the better part of the day there. :blob_coffee:

Of course I also bought books. I didn't just read shit for free. If I liked it I bought it. Like the series from forgotten realms with the MC Drizzt Do'Urden. He was a favorite character of mine for a while. Then I got tired of how it never really felt like he improved. :blobexpressionless:

Anyways times has changed now. Reading materials are a finger's tip away. Unlock iPhone/Galaxy/Whatever the F is being used now and read away! :aww:

Oh yeah so damn tired of comic superheroes too. I prefer the kill them/destroy the soul method so the god damn enemy doesn't come back. Enslaving them works just as well... as long as it's foolproof.:blobowoevil_horns:

Capsize and Felmon like this.
  7. livorino

livorino Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Nope , i still like woman

8. Felmon

Felmon Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The drizzit novel really takes me way back. Loved it but a bit too depressing for my taste. Have you noticed that the super heroes tend to let the people who murder run about and then act all high and mighty when they catch them only for the murder to escape and kill again which sometime happens to be the super hero’s. Friends and family

otaku31 and Omnicast like this.
  9. lucious_vault

lucious_vault Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I tend to find that If I'm reading for entertainment purposes that I like new/intriguing ideas which I haven't entertained before. However, to each their own. I haven't picked up a western novel in probably 5+ years. My view might also be skewed because I grew up on monkey king comics/stories.

Felmon likes this.
  10. Fluffy Jellyfish

Fluffy Jellyfish 『Number 1 Lolicon under Heaven』

Reading List:
    Link
    For your authentic or should I said heavily-impacted by ancient Chinese moral, ethic or view, you should start reading Mao Ni's works

Ze Tian Ji for a slight modernism and kind of relaxing read and Nightfall for a read that heavily emphasized by Confuciusnism, Buddhism and Religious antics

His style of work resembled Jin Yong or Gu Long's Wuxia novel.

Anyway, it is just my recommendation as I think that the novel you read only show the superficial side or skin of Eastern culture
    and by any means that my statement didn't have any ill-feelings towards the things you read

Enjoy~ :blobtaco:

Felmon likes this.
  11. Felmon

Felmon Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Read most MAO NIs work already but I prefer a less dramatic one

12. Omnicast

Omnicast Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yepo. One of the main reasons why I hate them. Superheros are shit. Catch Joker. Toss Joker into jail. Joker escapes. Joker harms/kills people. BATMAN IS THE FUCKING JOKE! The Gotham police is a joke! The entire fucking comic is a joke!:blobconfused::facepalm::blob_coughblood:

Same with Supershitman. Stops villains. Generic go to jail line. Villain bribes way out/jailbreaks/hypno way out and causes chaos again. Should have killed them instead. Same shit with Spiderface. Seriously spiders EAT their prey! Not catch and release into jail! Western Heroes are stupid. :blobdevil:

Oh and you're right majority of the time Western MCs are strongarmed helplessly into doing shit for others. That feeling of powerlessness is utter garbage. Since the god damn trope is used so OFTEN!:facepalm:

otaku31, Capsize and Felmon like this.
  13. Felmon

Felmon Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    There are darker adaptions that have them killing the villains but I just can’t take most of the comics seriously with the whole catch and release methods. I do watch the movie and tv adaptions though

14. Capsize

Capsize Would you like to be isekai’d? ψ(`∇´)ψ

Reading List:
    Link
    Star Wars = Wuxia In Space.

Felmon likes this.
  15. Souleater335

Souleater335 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson and any book by him.
    The lost gate by Orson scott card and his Ender's game series if you like scifi

16. Felmon

Felmon Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I couldn’t get interested in the lost gate and mistborn but I have read the first enders game book.

17. justmehere

justmehere Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I think the reason why I like Chinese novels is because they are simple to read.

Most western novels are riddled with puzzles and allegories that most people don't care about.
    Some stands out though, like chronicles of Narnia. But damn was that book complicated, and he expected to read those books to his nephews?

otaku31 likes this.
  18. Eolan

Eolan Totally serious poster

Reading List:
    Link
    It's a tough start, but it gradually gets better. Book 5 and 6 were many times better than many chinese novels of similar plot.

Felmon likes this.
  19. Captain_Ironfoundersson

Captain_Ironfoundersson Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Stormlight Archive too.