I feel like I found a massive cheat

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by LordCorwin, Jun 13, 2016.

1. LordCorwin

LordCorwin Supreme Book Lord; Leader of the Fiction Faction

Reading List:
    Link
    So I'm on an older, slower computer with not much RAM at work, waiting for actual work to come my way. So I start to read WDQK, I was a few chapters behind and this seemed like a perfect opportunity to catch up on it. But because I'm on this older computer, there is significant lagging and freezing and some sites such as WuxiaWorld.

My Solution: I turned on Chrome's reader mode, not one from an app store, the hidden built in reader mode aka Distiller Mode. This takes a web page with readable content and basically gets rid of anything not in the main body of text. It works great.

My Surprise: It works even better on WuxiaWorld than anywhere else I've tried. In fact, I'm glad I only had about 6 chapters to catch up on, because instead of just "distilling" the current chapter I was on, it followed the next page links to also distill the next 5 chapters I had available to read. Making it one long page, easily visible, no lag from videos or ads, broken up only by new chapter titles.

The Code: If you are interested in trying this mode, close your Chrome browser, right-click on the shortcut you use to access chrome or the pin on your taskbar, right click on google chrome again in the context menu that appears and click properties. In the Target field, at the end after the quotation marks, add 1 space, then paste this code in
    --enable-dom-distiller
    then click Apply, now launch Chrome, go to a page with a chapter on it, then click the Chrome Menu button in the top right.

You should now have a menu option that says Distill Page right under Find and above More Tools. If you do not, repeat the above steps and check your task manager to make sure all chrome processes have ended.

I just love the fact that I can use this on WW, and not have to constantly hit next chapter when I reading a batch of new chapters. I don't know how it will handle if you were to do it on an early or first chapter of something like Coiling Dragon though nor do I recommend it. That's probably a few too many chapters for it to "distill". But for 10-20 chapters, I think it works great.

DarkBlue and Astaroth like this.
  2. lichdeath

lichdeath undead meatbun ^^

Reading List:
    Link
    firefox has it too doesnt add following chapters tough...

3. Astaroth

Astaroth empty

Reading List:
    Link
    So can you toggle this mode on and off or is it permanent?

Anown likes this.
  4. LordCorwin

Reading List:
    Link
    you activate it for each page, although in this instance, I wasn't expecting the subsequent pages to be added as well. And you can un-distill pages as well, *** by clicking the back button on the browser***

**** I think it opening the extra chapters was a minor glitch, I haven't been able to recreate it after the initial time

*** don't bother hitting distill again to take it out of reader mode, it does nothing for you, just hit the back button on your browser, that's how it was designed and so that's how it works. ***

Last edited: Jun 13, 2016
  5. Anown

Anown Test

Reading List:
    Link
    The main question has been asked.

6. Alidran

Alidran Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    you can also just block the java script for specific sites in the chrome advanced settings. it gets rid of the annoying stuff. also put flashplayer to be on click, that prevents most sound ads.

7. LordCorwin

Reading List:
    Link
    That doesn't always work, in fact I thought it was a good idea as well and did it on several sites. But many of the sound/video ads do not run solely through flash, and companies that want to make money quickly learn to work through more than one type of ad so as to avoid people using workarounds like you suggest.

kainee and Alidran like this.
  8. Alidran

Alidran Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    at least till you get a better computer, so you can continue to support the site.

9. LordCorwin

Reading List:
    Link
    actually, as long as I let it load initially before I hit distill, I am supporting the site. But since after they all start playing it causes lagging and freezing on my computer, I then put it in reader mode.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2016
    Alidran likes this.