I find this hard to believe

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Wujigege, Dec 20, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2021
  2. otaku31

otaku31 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Bro, Indian TV serials are similar to cultivation novel MCs... they both (strive to) live eternally. Not much space for new content, then.
    Based on my limited understanding.

seemanta, Ishmael, MrSplashy and 5 others like this.
  3. An Anime Addict

An Anime Addict (≧▽≦)/̵͇/'̿'̿ ̿ ̿̿ ̿̿ ̿ ̿̿ ̿̿ (▀̿̿Ĺ̯̿▀̿ ̿)

Reading List:
    Link
    Indian TV serials really, are you kidding me!? I hate most of the Indian television system as most of these serials are just based on bad drama and rinse and repeat with only few nice historical and comedy serials (and those too repetitive) in between with no originality and only copied concepts:facepalm:

yue chen and Dr_H_16 like this.
  4. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    Chinese dramas are not exactly better. The point here is quantity not quality

5. ToastedRossi

ToastedRossi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I read the article and I don't find its findings surprising. However, it's pretty easy to misunderstand it if you don't pay attention to the fact that Variety is an industry publication. When it says "drama" it doesn't mean the standard definition of drama; instead it's talking about the drama genre as opposed to any other TV genre. And it's this category that Chinese TV makes a ton of.

Are you sure about that? I don't watch a lot of TV shows but from what I see, there seems to be quite a few decent Chinese dramas out there.

6. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    I am not saying they arent good ones. The point of the article is quantity. I believe he assumed I was saying Indian TV shows were better.
    From the article they used drama interchangeably to mean drama genre but also mentioned scifi
    I know about the difference. I am not faulting the article but Bollywood is notorious for producing a bootload of movies and Bollywood is just a part of India, when you add Tollywood and the others, the scope is ridiculous
    But like was pointed out they dont producing many TV shows, they just have long running ones

7. Wing0

Wing0 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    While Bollywood practices rinse and repeat - year after year, China brings in new content from Xianxia & wuxia novels.

Also, animated series & animated movies made in India are made for toddlers, & their script written with a kid's logic.

I just realized something...
    1. Japanese shows/animes are on segregated platforms, & most of them are American platforms licensed & restricted to certain regions, usually US & Canada.
    2. Korean online platforms require too much trouble: Korean phone number, bank account/credit card, identity verification, etc.
    3. Indian TV shows & movies rinse and repeat. Indian animated shows & movies are made for made for toddlers, & their script written with a kid's logic.
    4. US TV shows & movies (including animated) are too nationalistic

...so that left a big vacuum, which is now filled by China.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 30, 2021
    Baldingere and Wujigege like this.
  8. Didact

Didact Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I want whatever is it that you’re smoking :blobdrool:

9. Wing0

Wing0 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I thought most people knew this by now...
    Source: https://andyarttv.com/manga-won-the-top-20-graphic-novels-spots-in-america/

The "political agendas" (nationalism, feminism, LGBT, etc.) aren't just added to American comic books, but also Hollywood TV shows & movies.

10. Didact

Didact Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    My man, you cannot be serious about linking me a barely properly written article by god knows who and link it to US nationalism. I mean, are you even serious?

I write better sentences than that, and I’m not even from the US.
    At least put some effort into it.

brigs11 likes this.
  11. Wing0

Wing0 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    take it however you will...
    Fact remains that, more & more people like Chinese TV productions(movies, shows, & animations), and Japanese manga & anime over American Hollywood/Marvel/DC content

12. Owl Escapee

Owl Escapee Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You know, I'm just gonna spoiler tag this whole thing just in case it's too political
    Oh lmao comic books, tv shows and movies have always been political. They used to be way more explicitly nationalistic (Captain American punching Hitler, anyone?), now big blockbusters are just quietly sponsored by the DoD to make the military look good. Why is "feminism is bad" any less political than "feminism is necessary, actually"? Or "LGBT people are sexual predators" vs "LGBT people are regular people"? "I like the status quo" is exactly just as political as "we should improve society somewhat" (obligatory we live in a society.jpg joke)

Pfffffffff the comic industry is hurting themselves by not adapting their sales model well enough to the changing retail landscape, same as other print media. "Women are the main characters" can be used to tell just as good of a story as "the only female character is the girlfriend." Again, "I like the status quo because these specific things should stay the same (women's roles, LGBT people's invisibility, black people are side kicks and criminals, you name it)" is still an agenda. Bringing it back around to the topic of this thread, lol, anime, manga, Chinese tv shows and web novels all are equally political, (the past was better or the status quo is good or the future needs to change) it's just a kind of politics that some people find less noticeable/makes them more comfortable.

And I gotta say, this whole argument is a liiiiiittle bit ironic coming from someone with a pfp of a movie directed by two trans women, who have said it's a trans metaphor:

And even if you can't understand allegories, "freedom is better than being a happy sheep" is uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh also still political. :blobpopcorn_cool:

brigs11 likes this.
  13. Wing0

Wing0 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Personally, to me, Matrix is about "Freedom"/"Free Will" & Transcendence/Ascension beyond the system (same as MC going to a higher world in Xianxia novels; or like Jesus in the Bible; or Jivanmukts in Yogic tradition).
    or maybe you like to sacrifice your Freedom for Security ?
    If you want to have philosophical debates, we can argue this all week :)

Owl Escapee likes this.
  14. Baldingere

Baldingere Roseau pensant

Reading List:
    Link
    Your debate about comics and manga got me thinking, what about BDs, how are they doing? And I came to the sad realization that I have read few BDs these years.. I should plan a trip to the library.

Owl Escapee likes this.
  15. Owl Escapee

Reading List:
    Link
    Lol well a philosophical debate is dramatically off topic for this thread, which we should get back on. I'm just saying freedom vs security is also a quintessential *political* debate, and politics in movies/tv is not new. Of course whether American TV is too political has to do with the popularity of Chinese vs American dramas, when the start of the thread was about the shear volume being made.

I found this interesting:
    Local broadcasters in the US don't make their own tv shows, let alone a lot of them. I wonder if it's the same in India, and if that could explain the difference in numbers @Wujigege Like the major networks in the US, China and India all make shows, but then in China you also have these small broadcasters making shows, which I'm guessing won't get a wide distribution, but will increase the total numbers. I'm also curious, the article says "commissioned" shows, but what percent of commissioned shows actually get made? It's definitely not all of them.

Oh hahahahahhah and I just saw the article was from October 2019, so I am *sure* a lot of the shows commissioned then did not actually get made. It would be interesting to compare those numbers with 2021, since the number of shows being ordered for American streaming platforms is only increasing, and I assume the same would be true for Chinese streaming sites.

16. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    Whats BD?

It is notoriously difficult to get Chinese shows on TV since everything is government owned.

Streaming platforms are sometimes the only option

Owl Escapee likes this.
  17. Baldingere

Reading List:
    Link
    It works like this, US has comics, Japan has manga and other asian countries have their man-something, and
    Belgium&France have Bandes Dessinées (means drawed panels in French)
    It's what I grew up with! Belgium had two big BD houses, whose magazines have always competed, one having the giant Tintin and the other Spirou and Fantasio.
    It's in colors. The style depends on the artist. The panels have multiple cases, of the same size mostly, orderly placed on the pages.

seemanta, Owl Escapee and Wujigege like this.
  18. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    It is notor
    Well, I learnt something new

19. Owl Escapee

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah this is why I was wondering about the rate of commissioned vs actually aired.
    Oh cool! I was gonna ask this too lol. I read Tin Tin and Asterix translated into English as a kid :blobpeek:

Baldingere likes this.
  20. Baldingere

Reading List:
    Link
    I can't describe it, so here are examples: jpg_20---Asterix-en-Corse-7.jpg
    This is Astérix and Obélix, a famous french BD about a celtic village who, thanks to their magic druidic potion, have always stayed free from Roman conquest and just annoy the ehck out of Caesar.
    25.jpg
    This is Tintin, a story about a journalist who goes on lots of dangerous adventures with his white dog and his swearing, ancient ship capitain, friend
    I think the drawing style is considered semi-realistic (when it's drawed to ressemble reality but not totally)
    2ef5caf5cb51ab075e90d6f1cd014b3c-1.jpg
    This is Spirou and Fantasio, a reporter and photographer duo (they also have a squirrel and sometimes the Marsupilami, a magical creature from the amazon forest, depicted on the picture) who also live adventures, but down right crazy, science-fi or magical ones.

Wujigege likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.