Discussion I hate single chapters being split into 5+ chapters.

Discussion in 'Manga Discussion' started by NinjapowerMS, Jul 24, 2022.

Tags:
  1. NinjapowerMS

NinjapowerMS Local man ruins everything

Reading List:
    Link
    Destroys any momentum have for a manga when the story is abruptly stopped every 5 page and an indefinite amount of time for the next update. I know it sounds iffy that I'm complaining about this since I am just reading chapters for free and translators must have their reasons for doing this but boy is this irritating.
    BaCk iN mY dAy Chapters were released in one. Two is fine but maybe three but more than that is blegh. Maybe one day we'll reach the point where Anime episodes are split into two.

2. tenshineko

tenshineko Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I agree, especially when they don’t label the chapters properly so that at least it’s clear before I start reading. There’s nothing as frustrating as realizing that instead of being almost done with a 100 chapter story, you’re only on chapter 15 of the raws. From what I gather, the main reason for doing this is ad revenue, since it increases the number of pages you have to click on. Of course it also enables the translator to quickly stockpile “chapters,” so that’s probably part of it.

Sabruness and Eisvarith Devirea like this.
  3. animanaicT

animanaicT Nobody Important

Reading List:
    Link
    Seeing how none of these chapters are non-professional work it would be better to compare them to OVAs instread of anime episodes used for television. OVAs can be any length and have no set scheduling. If the common time slot for TV was 1hr then anime episodes would be 48 min long.

I don't like the chapter breaks at all but I have no solution other than throwing money at it and even that doesnt work somtimes.

Back before the DMCA attacks Bakastuki was amazing at pumping out translations. But that was more of a community effort instead of solo translations. I think with solo translations motivations can wane either due to lack of interest or lack of money.

PS. Its okay to bitch about somthing you don't like but don't forget to thank the translator if they are brining good content to you.

Sabruness and Shio like this.
  4. Kemm

Kemm Custom title

Reading List:
    Link
    I've heard of it being done, but sites like mangadex forbid the practice, so I've never encountered it (in manga; in novels, plenty).

There are some cases where the chapter comes in pieces from the source, however.

Sabruness and TXHY like this.
  5. NinjapowerMS

Reading List:
    Link
    Damn bro probably should go back to Mangadex for being a chad. Left the site when the infrastructure got exposed and they had remake the entire site basically and took several months.
    As for novels I'm sorta half and half about it. Some novel chapters are soooo long. That you can't even be mad if they split it since it just feels your reading a whole chapter anyway.

6. Eisvarith Devirea

Eisvarith Devirea [Mza {Valkyrie Awakens} Mya]

Reading List:
    Link
    this one i am soooo muuch in agreement with you. there is a certain translation team who did this very method with the series they working on, yeah im looking at you mr. F**s translation, im looking straight at your fu*king eyes.

Sabruness likes this.
  7. SerialBeggar

SerialBeggar Hate your family? Got no friends? Gimme your stuff

Reading List:
    Link
  8. IceLight303

IceLight303 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I agree. Then trying to find the chapter you are on can be difficult. Especially if your reading a novel.

9. Kemm

Kemm Custom title

Reading List:
    Link
    In this case, it should have been like that from the publisher. Whenever MD detects that a chapter has been improperly broken into parts (by random detection or complaints), they either merge them or purge them (I believe the second).

10. Akilirose

Akilirose Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It gets real old real quick. I get why they do it and it's hella better than when in anime they have a single fight scene last 10 episodes. If a fight is that long, I usually just drop the whole anime. But I'm not much for full on action plots when it comes to story line. I like to have more.

A lot of novels I have read here will break up chapters if they are more than 1,000 characters since it is hard to translate much more than that all at once and it can get overwhelming.

11. CrimsonHazel

CrimsonHazel [Sarcastic Green Tea]

Reading List:
    Link
    So far I've found a bunch of mangadex content that split chapter into several short one
    Even more absurd is when they split it and then release it on the same day, why would you do that??

The more hateful one I've encountered so far would be when translator not only split the chapter, they don't even label it as split chapter. Instead of labeling it 1.1 1.2 1.3, they go 1 2 3 so the chapter count is all messed up
    You'd think that's the worse yet, but there's also one where they release chapter by word count, as in if say a chapter is 2500 words and they release per 1000 words, they'll split it into 3 chapter with the third chapter also containing the next chapter first 500 words
    It doesn't really matter when you read it there alone, but when you want to read ahead by mtl or something, it'll be hard to find in what chapter you actually are

Ekisiel and Sabruness like this.
  12. NinjapowerMS

Reading List:
    Link
    I came to say fuck this chapter format. I think I automatically dropped mangas with this split releases without even giving it a chance.