I have a bad habit

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Lurking, Jul 3, 2019.

?

What should I do in these situations?

1. Come clean

22 vote(s)
    59.5%
  2. Keep up the charade

11 vote(s)
    29.7%
  3. Leave the online community I created the persona in

2 vote(s)
    5.4%
  4. GET OUTTA NUF YOU DIRTY LIAR

2 vote(s)
    5.4%
  1. Femme Fatale

Femme Fatale | Sublime Goddess Of Chance |

Reading List:
    Link
    Like I said, that is something only you can measure with the weight of your conscience as a counterbalance.

2. sgrey

sgrey Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If, according to what you wrote in the first post, you fake a person, get someone to trust you, form a bond, and then come out "surprise! it was fake all along!", you might be more of one? Some people might be impacted by this quite a lot

Femme Fatale likes this.
  3. Lurking

Lurking Do the dead suffer, or is it a sweet release?

Reading List:
    Link
    I feel like it would do more harm to admit the person who was supporting them for more than 5 years is a fake.

Saying it now would be more my self satisfaction at 'doing the right thing' then thinking of the other persons feelings.

So, I won't mention it. I will just continue on, and not abandon that persona and instead keep supporting.

4. Lurking

Reading List:
    Link
    This is the first time I ever mentioned it was a fake persona, and I did it early on.

I don't do that sgrey. Thats what I try to avoid.

The bond thing is why my persona from 2014 is still going. It was too late to back out without doing that. And I know that would be hurtful.

5. sgrey

sgrey Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    i was referring to this specifically
    not exactly sure what you meant by saying you wait until someone starts caring for you and then you lose interest in them

6. Femme Fatale

Reading List:
    Link
    I agree. I know that I was hurt pretty badly a while ago and now I'm like fuck it. ^.^

I honestly think that this reaction is more about you than that person's feelings. I am not judging, but I thought I would give you my point of view since you are sharing your bad habit with us for comment.

7. Tilgarial

Tilgarial [Chaos Tiger] [Paradox] [ded][Houseplant]

Reading List:
    Link
    She's basically saying she doesnt want others to be emotionally atrached to the roleplay persona, so when somebody else starts to show signs, she... reduces her precence till they dont, i think

8. Lurking

Reading List:
    Link
    No.
    I am bad with words.

I dont intentionally try to get people to care for my personas maliciously, or as anything more amusing then, hey lookit that wierdo.

I also dont target specific people and make them grow an interest then flat disappear.

After my first internet persona made a bond with someone, I try to enjoy myself roleplaying while avoiding making bonds or catching personal interest.

My optimal time to enjoy a roleplay is 6-9 months, but if for some reason it seems like an emotional attachment is forming at say, 3 months, I cut my roleplay short early so that won't happen even if I want to keep playing.
    You are better at words then I am. ...

9. Femme Fatale

Reading List:
    Link
    You may not intentionally want to form bonds, but have you considered that by the time you have realised that person's feelings they may have been feeling that way for a while? I believe that when you rp with someone, they should be fully aware of the type of relationship you want so they can freely make their own choices about your interactions. By not sharing your intentions, you are harming them and keeping control to yourself.... I don't want you to feel bad, but I do wonder if you understand this.

Also, ask yourself this: would you prefer that person to find out in a controlled manner, considering their feelings than by surprise because you got caught? How much do you really value their feelings when you choose not to reveal yourself?

sgrey likes this.
  10. Lurking

Reading List:
    Link
    I am sorry you got hurt.

Honestly.. rp gets stale after a while... rn I am trying to leech out the rp elements of the 2014 persona and replace it with me gradually with 'people change'

Also, frightened of the foundation of lies in my attachement...

Last edited: Jul 3, 2019
  11. sgrey

sgrey Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Ah, I see. It was indeed not particularly clear and sounded worse than it is.
    If you try to keep your distance and then make sure there are no deep attachments, I don't think this is a problem? Have fun all you want.. Just keep in mind that forming bonds is human nature, as long as you talk to the same person for a while, they will inevitably start to care in one way or another.

Loni4ever and Femme Fatale like this.
  12. Lurking

Reading List:
    Link
    Uh. There is no romance involved in my roleplays. I would just like to put that out there..

None. Never done the romancing schitk other than a short few hour with Tony, which ended really really fast. (With me even convincing them I was boring and not worth it at all even)

Also. I think i may include that 'this is roleplay' warning suggestion if I end up doing this again.

I hope I do not. Thank you for the advice femme..

13. Femme Fatale

Reading List:
    Link
    Attachment?

14. sgrey

sgrey Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    oh, so you are one of the victims? I pretty much wanted to get the appearance of this kind of situation across. I had a similar situation a long time ago, but I was not hurt in. I just came to the realization that even if you start to care about the person you talk to online, they might not give two shits about you. After that I stopped investing emotions in anything online.

15. Lurking

Reading List:
    Link
    Like, friendship. Not romance. Not an ounce.

16. sgrey

sgrey Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Having bonds and romance are two different things. You can care for a person in many different ways. Like, you said that you pose as an alcoholic sometimes. If you come across someone who struggles with an addiction, they might start relating to you based on this. And then if they ever find out that you weren't, it might cause a relapse.

17. Lurking

Reading List:
    Link
    Yikes.

Well, I hope you can still enjoy yourself at least.

18. Tilgarial

Tilgarial [Chaos Tiger] [Paradox] [ded][Houseplant]

Reading List:
    Link
    I guess this would be why she doesnt usually come clean, instead fading to the background and such?
    At least that would be my assumption

19. Femme Fatale

Reading List:
    Link

No worries @Lurking

:blobpopcorn_cool::blobpopcorn_cool::blobpopcorn_cool:

Everyone should be encouraged/supported to become a better person. It doesn't mean it's gonna always be easy or graceful, but while you are on this path I will share whatever advice I can.

20. Lurking

Reading List:
    Link
    Well. My addiction was not with alcohol...
    After all, truth mixed in...

Warning duly noted tho.