Discussion I have mixed feelings about novels . . .

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Wobbly, Jan 16, 2018.

1. Wobbly

Wobbly [Unstabbable][He Who Courts Death][Whimsical]

Reading List:
    Link
    I began reading novels in middle school, 8th grade, I think. I began with light novels, until after a year or so I began reading chinese novels, too. I read chinese novels on a forum I can't remember the name of. He-Man was translating Stellar Transformations, I remember that vividly. That was back then when I wasn't allowed to use data on my phone so I would open a bunch of the thread's pages on my phone with 9 or 10 chapters per page. 3 or 4 was the max, I believe, before one of them reloaded when I opened the tab.

Anyways, back then I had much more free time. And like a true NUF-er I would spend it reading novels, and not making random threads on some forum in the middle of the night. I was proud of being up to date with dozens of novels. This followed to freshman, maybe even sophomore year of high school where my novel library grew and grew.

Although the forum had an extensive library of chinese novels in the form of threads, when Wuxiaworld was made, I was ecstatic. First of all, Coiling Dragon was just so good. I was always looking forward to tomorrow because the chapters were just not being released fast enough. I remember literally praying for the chapters to come out quicker. Now, Ren was fast even back then. I subscribed to the site pretty early on, but I'm not gonna go back 600 pages in my Translated Novels label to find the first few emails. But rest assured, Ren released chapters quickly. This was when he still had a job, too!

However, by the time I entered my junior year, I faced a troubling problem. It wasn't that some of my favorite novels were being dropped or that all the japanese novels were being licensed, though that was something I regularly cursed. It was the fact that I didn't have enough time to read. Which was sad. I started having to drop novels, which I still plan to catch up with to this day if I ever become immortal and is trapped in limbo with fast wifi.

Nowadays, whenever I catch up with all my novels (which rarely happens T-T), I always end up reading new novels that have such interesting synopses and already has 50 chapters released. But the real reason I don't catch up with my novels is because I'm afraid. Afraid of the result of our hard-working translators who release 15 chapters a day, which pile up till I need to read 300 chapters to catch up.

*sigh* Sometimes I wish I could control time, or at least the translators. Make them stop releasing for a bit and just stockpile those hundreds of chapters so I don't feel so intimidated when I have to read so much to be up to date. Yeah, I'm a selfish guy.

>.>
    <.<
    This turned out so long . . . I need to do homework . . .

2. Neiri

Neiri Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Can't help you there considering my problem is that I read fast and finished reading all updates on my readlists including other websites.

3. Viola

Viola Studio Ghibli Fanboy Mother of Learning Fanboy

Reading List:
    Link
    Read some published western novels. It helps.

Indiboy likes this.
  4. LuminaDawn

LuminaDawn Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Lol, well, ain't that just the problem most people have? Not enough time too many things to do?

5. ZachB

ZachB Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The good old days of spcnet.tv
    Is it still alive?

Wobbly likes this.
  6. b1w2c3

b1w2c3 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I have exactly the same feeling. Several years ago when jap novels was not licensed, i would like to think of it as the golden age of jap Lns.When baka tsuki was still good for jap LNs, I remember reading SAO and index, staying up late when i probably should have concentrating on SATs or high school.... Coiling dragon was my first wuxia ln that i read and would check everyday morning afternoon and night for updates when they use to update 3 times a day. Now a days most jap novels are licensed, and it seems to be all korean and chinese ones. It kind of sad to see how the LN category is going because a bit of it seems to be going down the drain

BlackCat137 and Wobbly like this.
  7. Wobbly

Reading List:
    Link
    I can't read normal books now . . .

Oh ty ty
    that's what it was called . . . I loved spcnet . . . *sigh*

I remember reading mushoku tensei on baka-tsuki. Heck, I remember when I would read Tate No Yuusha on there and not on yoraikun's site . . . I remember when DanMachi wasn't licensed. Dang, I remember when royalroad was actually for translating lms

8. Allchemic

Allchemic Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    At least you could control yourself... I reached a point where I started to skip class to stay reading. I don't even need to say how foolish that is, right?

9. Lolistalker

Lolistalker Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    24 hours a day is definitely not enough, and I wish lack of sleep wont kill me, which it definitely will ;/

I read very few novel recently as I have dozen of game to play, including MMO and as you know it, MMO take a lot of commitment and time (or money, which I dont have XD) and there is also school and life, I dont think 48 hours a day will be enough

10. m7vpc

m7vpc Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    In my personal experience, some novels have to be binge read because how many character there are and how confusing it can be if it's translated one chapter per day, especially if it is released per week..

It's also harder for me to recognize the chinese names of characters so I get confused so easily and most of the time don't bother to try to remember.

11. Fossil

Fossil 「Spooky」「Scary」「Skeleton」

Reading List:
    Link
    Same. I still need to finish up EER and return to ICDS....

12. b1w2c3

b1w2c3 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    There was also japtem who translated lms. Yoraikun is still somewhat active and the thing he chooses are pretty good. Shield hero went through a couple different groups...just like word master. Fortunately shield hero finshed before it died like word master. RRL doesnt havent a lot of good stories and sometimes the good ones dont even finish which is a pity. it s a good place to start for writers though.

13. Redmi

Redmi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Damn, first world problems.

14. kuroAnsatsu

kuroAnsatsu Realistically Stoic

Reading List:
    Link
    I used to watch anime in the past, yet now I'm in college I got no time to do that cuz there's a lot of thing to do. As the time flowing, I don't have the urge to watch anime again until now. Manga and novels are still safe, yet now batoto will be closed, I don't know what will happen anymore

15. Wobbly

Reading List:
    Link
    I pulled my first all nighter because i wanted to binge . . . you know what, I don't even remember.

If I could turn back time~ I'd win the lottery so I could just chill everyday reading novels in my hot tub.

I have to binge WMW . . . or i lose interest . . .

Re:OCEAN was godly . . . japtem was so good. I remember that cn with the assasin and white dragon and stuff

welp, i can admit i'm part of the ignorant masses, at least

16. HappyHavak

HappyHavak The Laughing Sage

Reading List:
    Link
    I know this pain. My reading speed was tested at 830 words per minute with above 70% retention. Not quite the top 1% but really close. I read to fast for any translator to keep up

Ddraig likes this.
  17. 05858

05858 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Man, what's wrong with you? I love when the novel has many chapters.

18. Indiboy

Indiboy Well Known boi

Reading List:
    Link
    I read western Novel
    Most western novels are too short and too fast....

I like Webnovels more

Ddraig likes this.
  19. 222222

222222 12121212121212121212121212121212121212121212121212

Reading List:
    Link
    Use text to speech.

20. rustedge

rustedge Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Time management, that's what i would like to say but i can't help it.

Off topic, i used binge watch anime then move on to manga and novel.the anime this days doesn't give the blood rush and wow factor.maybe fairytail killed it for me