Discussion I kinda need help coping with my first job

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Has, Jul 23, 2022.

1. Has

Has divorcee and veteran nuffer

Reading List:
    Link
    Lets cut to the cheese shall we: work's been very stressful, they tell you to do 5 things and while you're doing said things they keep moving you around and giving you more and more things do to as if you were idle. On top of this you have things that you have to do everyday without fault while also serving the customer and you're doing all that but the they need help somewhere else? "HAS!" and there i go stoping everything thing I'm doing to do something else. All that in 6 hours. This week has been hectic as fuck and next week(and month) it will be worse.
    The overwhelming amount of tasks makes me irritated and I'm trying not to let it show but God is it hard. Sometimes i have so much i have to do that i go do a task with teary eyes. Several times I've caught myself shaking in nervousness while working. I do not know if I'm not fit for this line of work or what.
    But anyway, i don't dislike it that much be honest, the coworkers are nice, the hours are good and I'm really learning a lot, but i just been overwhelmed with anxiety lately. Even when i come home i can't sleep well. How do I deal with that? Is it normal to feel this way on your first job? Does this nervousness go away?

2. PurpleHearts

PurpleHearts Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You' ll probably get used to it, after all it's your first experience. You can get into the rhythm. That's how I was. I understand how it feels and what I usually do is just cry. Cry it all out, let all the built up stress and anxiety out. Identify what exactly is making you feel what way. Then you can move forward and tackle each day as it comes.
    Also make sure you're staying healthy, enough sleep, eating enough, as that can affect your emotions.
    Finally, DON'T GIVE UP! IF YOU'VE REACHED YOUR BREAKING POINT, CALM YOURSELF DOWN BEFORE YOU MAKE ANY IMPULSIVE DECISIONS, sharing that from experience! Believe in yourself.☺️

Rinymn, IAmMoeMoe and Has like this.
  3. SerialBeggar

SerialBeggar Hate your family? Got no friends? Gimme your stuff

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm curious on what your job is.

4. ellie357

ellie357 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    let urself be a little shitty at ur job. if its ur first job, i imagine ur in the service/retail industry and from my experience in both, you can just let the customer wait. they arent going anywhere. you running around to get to them 15s faster isnt going to change anything. its just going to make you feel rushed and panicky. if theyre paying you min wage, you dont have to go above and beyond. if ur a server trust me on this one, people are going to pick up on the fact that ur tired and stressed. relax. its really not a huge deal and if there are assholes you just have to learn to shrug it off. cry in the bathroom. vent to ur friends, or even on here. getting stressed about it rly isnt worth it.

also, dont be afraid to let people know its ur first week/month/etc. there are more good ppl than bad and typically they will be understanding

ludagad, Euge and Has like this.
  5. Aop

Aop [Great Destroyer of Filth] [Dao of Cleanliness]

Reading List:
    Link
    9ish years ago, I got a job at a gas station. I was in my mid 20s, having spent my time till then being a NEET. My first day I had an anxiety attack on my way to work. Had to sit down for several minutes to calm myself down.

And while that job had ups and downs... mostly downs... it led me into my current job (well, the field. I won't bore you with the details of that). As terrible as your first job is, the experiences gained are always good. even if it's the 'I'm not doing that again' or the stories... and if you really do get good, someone will notice and it'll lead to better opportunities.

...Though. After a couple of months, if things don't improve... maybe that job isn't a good fit. There's pros and cons to staying/going. And in the end, only you can say if you should or shouldn't

Has likes this.
  6. Cutter Masterson

Cutter Masterson Well-Known Super-Soldier

Reading List:
    Link
    The first day is never easy. The stress is probably one of the reason your slowing down. No one becomes an Olympic runner on the first day. You need to learn how to walk and train how to run before you can be a gold medalist. It will be hard in the beginning. This is true for all jobs.
    The best way to handle this is to see it as a challenge.
    Stop worrying. Than start breaking down the job and figure out how to streamline the job. Watch what your coworkers are doing and tricks they use. When the job is over that’s when the real work begins. Set yourself for success by reviewing what you did right and what you could improve on. Prepare for tomorrow so you’ll have better running start. Never think the glass is half empty, but actually half full. What I am saying is that when negative feelings start to come up. Stop yourself from dwelling on it. Put a fire in your eyes and face the fight before you. Than be refreshed with your steady accomplishments and build on it.
    I am not the man on the ground floor seeing everything that’s happening. That’s you. So I am only seeing a fraction of what’s going on. So any advice reflects that, but I still stand by what I said.
    Put your game face on and move forward. You can do this. We are all cheering for you

Mnotia, orematcha and Has like this.
  7. Has

Has divorcee and veteran nuffer

Reading List:
    Link
    It's kinda of my third month there lol the thing is that i work for only 6 hours and like 4 days a week and compared to the ppl who work 8h and 6/7 days a week there i feel like I'm falling behind them in a way even though I've been there for longer so i keep trying my best not to be shitty at the job and do everything well even tho it's too much
    If i start crying i probably won't stop for a few hours lol and also yeah not sleeping enough really does take a huge tool on me so I've been trying to get enough sleep lately
    As of today i am dead set on finishing my contract time! But you never know...
    That's a really good advice Cutter thank you bb
    Thank you guys <3

Also i may or may not have accidentally deleted my first reply:D

8. xiao Yi

xiao Yi I told you to forget me but you stayed by my side.

Reading List:
    Link
    maybe because you're still new to the job and may or may not have experience yet. But you don't have to worry. You can cope up after a few weeks. Try doing it systematically like making your own checklist of things to be done on that day so you won't be too tired thinking about a lot of things to be done. Also, based on experience, I hate it whenever I'm doing something then I'm asked to do something again like I'm not a robot! But oh well, I got used to it after a week or so. I just learned how to do work quietly. Yet as how many things work out, if you think the workplace and workmates were too much to handle, you should never sacrifice your own mental health just to keep the job. Lastly, give your time to relax. If you have a day off, do your thing that makes you comfortable. Trust me. When you give yourself a piece of mind even just for a day, you will be ready to survive another week at work. Jiayou o(〃^▽^〃)o

Rinymn and Has like this.
  9. Esha07

Esha07 ☄your favorite meanie࿐ྂ

Reading List:
    Link
    Its " Lets cut the cheese " for me

Has and xiao Yi like this.
  10. xiao Yi

xiao Yi I told you to forget me but you stayed by my side.

Reading List:
    Link
    ~\(≧▽≦)/~

Esha07 likes this.
  11. deepon

deepon One who inevitably awakens

Reading List:
    Link
    Reminds me of my first job, although I was a coder. I joined a "tech" startup, where I was surprisingly the only coder, my boss apparently had some exposure to tech which for some reason gave him immense confidense in his ideas. Those were the absolutely worst years of my life. I had to to do practically everything, then participate in ideations and discussions and then redo everything, repeat the cycle 3-4 times, and then take the blame for delays in completion. I finally quit after 2 projects failed to launch and the 3rd just kept expanding infinitely like the universe. And I barely got paid half the salary.
    So my advice:
    1) Learn on the job as much as possible. Your first job is almost always the foundation for your next job, where you are no longer the noob. If they tell you to do lots of things, prioritise based on what would look good on your resume.
    2) Learn to say "NO". Or else you will be taken for granted and made to do things that are not part of your job description. Sometimes you have to be tactful, and sometimes you need to consider the oversall situation. But if you cant take it, let them know you cant do it if its urgent. Some things need getting used to, be dont get used to getting abused. I learned that lesson the hardway, when I had recurring nosebleeds and weeks of fever from work pressure.
    3) Smile. You would be surprised with the things you can get away with as long as you are smiling (but not when you are in the wrong). Maintain a good relation if possible untill you quit the job, because you will need that letter of experience. Also avoid gossiping or saying shit about people with your colleagues. They will sell you out.

Has likes this.
  12. Mnotia

Mnotia The Trash Man

Reading List:
    Link
    Most of my jobs were labor jobs ie move things.

I just treated everything as a video game in a way.

If I had questions, I asked the guy near me. Tips turned on in the settings.

Doing something and learning how to do it with the help of co workers. Gaining XP in a skill tree and learning from the trainers.

The nervousness will go away.

Take youre time and make sure to take care of yourself most of all. Drink water and make sure youre taking the appropriate amount of breaks. Its getting super hot.

Has and Cutter Masterson like this.
  13. Ash97

Ash97 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'll probably be starting my first and new job next week. Hopefully it will be good experience.
    Maybe use some advice here.

Has likes this.
  14. melomarl

melomarl Burning Red

Reading List:
    Link
    Are you new to the job? For my first job, I had to go to a psychologist because I felt the same. They didn't diagnose me with anxiety and said it was Adjustment Disorder.

tbh, I didn't last long in that job. But the experience made me learn how to deal with it the following times.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2022
    Has likes this.
  15. Rinymn

Rinymn Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I really admire your dedication at work. However, i hope you take a break once in a while and focus on yourself. I'm sorry if my advice didn't give you much as I'm still a student and didn't have work experiences but please take care and stay safe!

Has likes this.
  16. ludagad

ludagad Addicted to escapist novels

Reading List:
    Link
    Start shouting "Busy!!" or "Later!" back at some point. They obviously need more staff.

Shizukani likes this.
  17. Shizukani

Shizukani Chronically stressed

Reading List:
    Link
    :blobpeek: That... *cough* I don't know how it is for other people but the workload is usually that much. It's never ending I think. You'll get used to it I think. What personally helps me is like listing all the things I need to do everyday. The marking which is my priority and which is not. When my boss gives me more high priority works, I ask her frankly and politely (I think) which job is of HIGHER priority. :facepalm: Well, you'll get a hang of it. Maybe open up with some colleagues that you're close to if you're feeling overwhelmed? And well, if all else fails, you can always try another direction in your career. Especially while you're still young~ but well, take everything I said with a grain of salt. Also, do try to let go of everything once you're off duty. It takes practice I know, but do try. Like forget about everything once you're out. Goodluck!