Question I need HONEST answers for Martial Arts Master

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by dweenator, May 18, 2022.

1. dweenator

dweenator Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I know that this Chinese Novel is set in the Modern World and like many other CN Modern World setting novel, they obviously have their own degree of nationalistic propaganda. This isn't rocket science, Chinese authors for Chinese readers, we just happen to read translated versions so basically we're not the target audience. There is also the censorship factor, I don't know if they get social points for praising China and thrashing everyone else, especially japan, and conversely get deductions.

So my question is, how hard does this novel go on it's nationalism?

Please don't give bullshit answers like "the names of the countries are different from reality" even when they are stereotypes of alluded countries in reality.

P.S. I'm seriously considering reading this novel. So please, honest answers only. And don't make ignorance as an excuse. If you haven't read this novel much and don't know anything, just don't.

Gin_Hindew and Sabruness like this.
  2. HappyHavak

HappyHavak The Laughing Sage

Reading List:
    Link
    If there was nationalism in it I honestly didn't even notice. Maybe it's because I was enjoying the novel too much to care but Cuttlefish doesn't normally go hard on the China Numba 1 stuff

3. HentMas

HentMas Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Amm... what do you mean?

In the plot?
    the presentation of the characters?
    the themes? the government used in the story?
    the obvious brainwashing of how "this is the RIGHT way of doing things because everything else is corrupt"??
    the use of Chinese folklore?

You have to be very aware that those themes are "ingrained" in their culture, it's not just a "superficial" level of propaganda, they truly believe this things and live their every day like that, and it was a several centuries long effort of the government to achieve this... there will always be some "themes" like this in Chinese stories unless they are not really Chinese or they have come in contact directly with other cultures.

It's just Xianxia, as always, with the same ideas and themes they always use, they always uphold the same morals, the same righteousness, the same government and the same "Meritocracy"

I personally don't find anything overtly nationalistic in this story, there are things in there if you glimpse at them critically, but it's not "Release that witch" levels of "GO CHINESE GOVERNMENT GO!"

4. The Hamster Overlord

The Hamster Overlord Mad scientist/Revered wizard/Alleged antichrist

Reading List:
    Link
    But... the current government has barely been in power for a century.
    What you seem to be referring to is called culture, and implying that it is somehow forced onto them by means of propaganda, means that you, yourself, are very deep under propaganda's influences

5. HentMas

HentMas Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    HAHAHAHAHA, look my friend, the "No U" argument is just not how things work.
    I'm trying to explain, a very heavy argument with simple concepts easy to understand.
    it's not just about their culture, it's not just the propaganda, and it's not just the "current government" but I don't really have the time or will to explain all that in a single post.
    If you have a clear concise point to make, other than "no you" I'll listen and am willing to explain my reasoning if you're willing to listen.

6. TraderLife

TraderLife Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Haven't really read that one far as the premise and writings didn't exactly interest me and I can't exactly stomach one more tournament arc of a story.

But as someone who have read way too many Novel with that kind of 'bigotries' I could say that I haven't feel anything resembling what you've feared in this Novel at least from the length I've read.

The clues is that there isn't exactly over emphasis on 'national pride' or something like that and it isn't the main mission of the main character to uphold that, just focusing on self improvement and school romance.
    The faceless internet mob isn't one dimensional crack idiots which is a telltale sign, the word choices, writing patterns, some plots, and many others didn't exactly have the patterns of a story with that kind of bigotry.

HentMas likes this.
  7. BeardyRABBIT

BeardyRABBIT <Not a Rabbit>

Reading List:
    Link
    I've read it and my honest answer is, there's little to no Nationalism here, MC is very respectful to other, it never goes hard on culture mainly because the majority of battle/rivalry were very focus on technical aspects (in world logic) and on fighters capabilities rather than their cultural backgrounds. Like being from other countries made them evil or something, it's safe.