Resolved I swear this isn't a fetish thread

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Lurking, Jan 30, 2021.

?

Justabot Padoru or traditional padoru

Poll closed Feb 1, 2021.
  1. Justabot for lyfe

8 vote(s)
    57.1%
  2. ALT SABER, LONG LIVE THE ETERNAL KINGDOM OF ROME!!!

6 vote(s)
    42.9%
  1. Chrono Vlad

Chrono Vlad 『Banned From Drinking』

Reading List:
    Link
    Is this going to be used as BL materials? :sweating_profusely:

Fulminata and Lurking like this.
  2. Lurking

Lurking Do the dead suffer, or is it a sweet release?

Reading List:
    Link
    Purpose/Question –

The lab activities purpose is to test the veracity of the scientific method of 70s era scientists, in particular the scientists doing the Laetoli Footprint Study.

Hypothesis –

If the Laetoli Scientist’s methodology was reliable, then when I chart my friends heights and the centimeter length of their shoes, I should be able to prove causation or at least reliable correlation between the independent variable of how tall they are and the dependent variable of their corresponding shoesizes.

Data Tables/Graphs –
    nuffian foot chart.png foot graph.png

Analysis Questions -
    1. What is the independent variable? The independent variable will go on the x-axis and it is the “if” of your hypothesis. What is the dependent variable? The dependent variable is the data or the “then” of your hypothesis. It will go on the y-axis. One way to think about this is “y depends on the data”.

The independent variable is that individual’s height. The dependent variable is how many centimeters are from the toe to the heel of the individual’s shoe.

I will test my hypothesis by seeing if there is a consistent correlation between foot and height. I hypothesize that height does not determine shoesize.

2. Refer to Data Tables and Graphs
    3. What conclusions can you make about the relationship between foot length and height?

There is a very loose correlation, with no indication of causation. An individual about 170cm tall can have a foot size either 20cm long or a foot size around 30cm long. This is not a single outlier, there are several sets of data on foot size that show height cannot reliably determine foot size.

Claim-

I claim that 70s era’s methodology to determine height of ancient humanoids was erroneous on account that this cannot even be reliably used to determine the height of modern humans. If one can determine the other, the method should be reliably swappable, so in my experiment I tested if height determined foot size and found that it did not.

Evidence –

I know that the methodology of the Laetoli Footprint Study’s Scientists is flawed since I attempted to find the foot length of modern humans using their heights, and it did not work. If it had worked, then I could accurately point at Mnotia who is 189cm tall and had a foot size of 28cm, and using that be able to show that the height of 189cm should result in the foot size of around 28cm.

However, Mnotia has a foot size within a variation of 2cm to individuals like me who have heights of 164cm, with Blitz at 169cm, and Ash at 173cm. These other individuals are all spaced out about 5cm apart in height, and if height determined shoe size then there should be a far bigger variation in shoe size than us sharing a shoe size within a variation of 2 cm.

To show this isn’t an outlier, there is also Baco of 196cm who has a shoesize of 30cm shared within a variation of 2cm to individuals like Lao at 170 cm, and Zone at 174cm, as well as Hope at 179cm tall.

There are occasional concentrations such as how 5 individuals between the heights of 169cm-175cm shared a shoesize within 3cm difference, however I believe this is an outlier and a minority in comparison to the far larger number of individuals in my survey whom did not have such reliable predictive agency. In addition, this was the largest concentration and in no other location were more than two heights sharing a shoesize within 2 cm variation. Therefore, I deem similarities a coincidence.

Reflection -

My ideas have not changed. My initial questioning of those particular 70s era scientists has borne fruit, just as they did I did not account for factors such as nutrition, sex, or lifestyle of those individuals I measured, and as expected while there is a loose correlation there is no proof of causation. They did not account for those factors since they did not have the information, I did not account for those factors since I was testing the 70s era scientist methodology.

References -

National Center for Education Statistics. (n.d.). Create a graph. Kid’s Zone. Accessed January 2021. http://nces.ed.gov/nceskids/createagraph/default.aspx

The Scientific Method and Measuring in the International System of Units (SI)

Laetoli Footprint Study (used with permission from Amy Hopkins)

Background

In 1976, a team of scientists working under archaeologist-paleontologist Dr. Mary Leakey discovered the fossilized tracks of an early (now extinct) human. Archaeologists thought an early human, called Australopithecus, could have made the fossil footprints. Two years earlier, in 1974, an almost complete Australopithecus fossil skeleton had been found, which scientists nicknamed “Lucy”. It was not immediately known if the fossil footprints found by Dr. Leakey’s team were made by an individual related to “Lucy”, but the age of the fossil footprints, their location, and their structure seemed to indicate that they were indeed related.

The fossil footprints were found in Africa, at a site named Laetoli, which is located in Tanzania. The footprints were made 3.5 million years ago in, what was at the time, damp volcano ash. A layer of volcanic ash deposited by a volcanic eruption covered the ground. After the ash settled, it rained lightly and the ash layer took on the consistency of damp sand. Three individuals walked upon this ash, leaving their footprints. These footprints were later covered by more ash from later volcanic eruptions, and eventually became fossilized.

Research

The scientists working at the Laetoli site wondered if they could tell anything about the individuals that had made the footprints by studying the footprints themselves. The footprints looked as though humans made them. The impressions of the big toe, the rounded heel, and other characteristics of a human footprint were clearly visible. They could measure the prints (their length, width, distance apart, etc.) and from this data perhaps tell something about the individuals that made the prints.

A hypothesis was put forward: if there is a relationship between the length of a person’s foot and that person’s height, we could predict how tall a person is by knowing the length of their foot. If this is true, we could use the footprints at Laetoli to determine the height of the individuals that made the prints.

:sushi_peak:
    TLDR; i think the scientists in the 70s were morons and now i proved it for my teacher:sushi_hide:

3. Fulminata

Fulminata Typo-ist | Officer of Heavenly Inc. |

Reading List:
    Link
    I-is "Horror" a relatively normal name for a kid?! :blobsleepless:

Lurking and Donutmindme like this.
  4. Lurking

Lurking Do the dead suffer, or is it a sweet release?

Reading List:
    Link
    uhm. i got 3 friends i can touch and myself in there, so i renamed them from their real names. you can tell by the font change.

they offered me feetpics, so sweet.

they are all horror nerds, but only one of the three has graphically described my demise so many times... so they are nicknamed the horror. if you combine the horror and the ash, you get the twins from the shining, a movie i certainly won't be watching.

they are introducing me to horror genre. there arent jumpscares so its better but also like... the scary spiderthingladyghost keeps almost eating me and i have adrenaline for days just remembering and and and they keep insisting we play just before bed,

my sleep schedule i tried so hard to get into standard circadium is smashed.

5. Kadmos1

Kadmos1 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Not sure my BWH, but I am just under 6'3 and usu. weigh between 205-215 lbs.