i tried to give it a chance

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by anon, Jan 14, 2019.

1. anon

anon Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I really did try to get into the manga and anime for irregualr at magic highschool. I heard so many great things about the anime and manga and that all i had to do was stick with it a little bit, but man i just can't get into it. There's no real problem in my opinon, but i feel jaded as f&#k when watching/reading it. Someone compared the main character to yuuji from grisaia (which i loved) and i kept trucking forward with the manga (could only watch the first 15 minutes of anime before falling asleep) but it just feels trite to me.

Same with watamote. Now im not a huge partaker of schadenfreude so that could play a part in it, but despite having a few giggles here and there i'm mostly bored with reading it (haven't watched the anime yet). I understand everyone has their own tastes, and im not criticizing them or their creators or anything, but i just dont see the overwhelming appeal to them

2. akki

akki [Ani's C☕ffee-mate #3] [Shady Merchant]

Reading List:
    Link
    Only manga and anime? You didn’t read the mahouka novel?

Cosmic_ likes this.
  3. canaria23

canaria23 『  』

Reading List:
    Link
    Truth be told, mahouka can get boring when you're not into it, especially when they talk about complicated stuff about politics and genius level scientific breakthroughs which is not very realistic.

The music and the fight scenes were awesome though.

And the movie is literally a copy of when darth vader destroyed a group of rebels. The meme where they compared him to max.lvl. player coming to noob town.

4. anon

anon Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    no i thought id see how it worked visually before checking out the novel. usually novels have more detail and walls of text.

5. anon

anon Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    where was that scene i fell asleep halfway through the first episode.
    Edit: i love that darth vader scene

6. Freezy

Freezy Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Meh. You can't love everything just because it's highly rated. I read the light novel and dropped after 3 volumes.

Femme Fatale and Cosmic_ like this.
  7. anon

anon Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    i know, but there's been such great reviews for it. I know i know that doesn't mean shit *cough last jedi cough* but i had to at least give it a try

TamaSaga likes this.
  8. Cosmic_

Cosmic_ [Novel Addict] [Lazy Writer] [Meh Editor]

Reading List:
    Link
    Mahouka for me was less of the action, harem, or even characters and more of the world building, magic system, politics, and Godsuya moments. The LN was better because it was more detailed in that aspect. It’s probably just not your thing. I liked Grisaia because it was about the characters, their story, and growth. And harem. I wouldn’t compare the two as the focus of the two are different.

As for Watamote. Too much cringe for me.

runsing and anon like this.
  9. anormrobot

anormrobot Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't know about most people but I like it. Maybe to help ease your bordem of watching the anime you can try counting the number of times onii sama was said throughout each episode? You win some you lose some :blobpopcorn_cool:
    Nothings perfect and not everything works for everyone.

Fossil and runsing like this.
  10. Haylias

Haylias Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    [​IMG]

How can you dislike our lord and saviour's show

11. Cygsiulle

Cygsiulle error 404: title not found

Reading List:
    Link
    the problem i've had with anime for quite awhile is that tropes have become much more abundant, and it feels like authors are just going "well, people seem to have responded well to this sort of thing, so maybe i need to really drive it into the ground, and just keep ramming it down their throats till we hit america if i want to keep people interested."

i've liked the concept behind a number of shows, the art style's nice, voice acting's usually pretty good (raw, of course. i have next to no hope for dubs), but it just feels like they fall into an overuse of things that just put a halt to the overall enjoyment and drag their feet tryin to get me interested again. i swear most of the "mainstream" garbage that gets overhyped these days are more for the memes than anything that's actually redeeming about them.

anon likes this.
  12. anon

anon Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    no thanks for the counting. even as a drinking game that and god of war 3's "boy" "boy" would be pretty overbearing

13. OnceandFutureLurker

OnceandFutureLurker Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Normally can't like them all, just enjoy the ones you do

14. anon

anon Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    i agree with that mostly. I suppose mimicry of sucessful idead is something thats prevalent in all forms of entertainment and if you think about it, its very similar history in the sense that an event repeats itself over and over again with just a different face and setting. on a side note not all dubs are bad. Black Lagoons dubs were awesome and fit perfectly.

15. Ai chan

Ai chan Queen of Yuri, Devourer of Traps, Thrusted Witch

Reading List:
    Link
    Me too. Despite the rave reviews from everyone and their mothers, Ai-chan never managed to get myself to watch even one episode til the end. Ai-chan do read the manga, but that's about it.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2019
    anon likes this.
  16. anon

anon Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    easy the plots predictable and even as a badass hes not that great of a badass...imo. wouldnt want to criticize someone elses beliefs and all that

17. anon

anon Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    where you at on the manga? i have gotten to the second series with the inter school championship thing

18. AwwGasm

AwwGasm Knows some things.

Reading List:
    Link
    That's mahoukas entire strong suit, world building, lore and techno babble.

19. anon

anon Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    tolkien and c.s. lewis did it better although i suppose thats an unfair comparison.

20. Feng Tian

Feng Tian Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, frankly speaking its generally considered pretty bad. Not SAO tier fodder but certainly nothing worth your time. Its world building looks fine on the surface, then you think for a second or two and realize how bullshit it is. And dont get me started on the characters...

anon likes this.