Request I want to create a Visual Novel with a Black Protagonist. Can you give me ideas ?

Discussion in 'Gaming Discussion' started by Rodriguez II, Jul 3, 2020.

1. Rodriguez II

Rodriguez II Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hi everyone here on Novelupdates. It's me, Rodriguez II. [​IMG]

Currently, I feel a very very strong urge to play a Visual Novel with a Black Protagonist after watching a Youtube channel called "KT Bubu", but none have been made yet so I decided to create it myself.

I want to make a Visual Novel with a Black Protagonist paired with either a Japanese or White girl main heroine. Can you guys give me ideas ? I know interracial couples/romance are quite common in real life, but still an extreme rarity in VNs, manga, RPGs and anime in general, therefore I want to make it in a fictional work with anime-style art to reach the mass consciousness more to help reduce racial discrimination and prejudice in this world and spread love and understanding.

It can be an Isekai fantasy with the Black main character reincarnated or transported to another world. From there, he could get special powers and meet many heroines in his adventures.

Or it can be just set in our world in a school setting. I'm interested to see what would happen if our main character would suddenly be transferred as the only guy into an all-girls academy ( Ojousama Gakuen ), as this setting has never been done with a Black Protagonist before, so would you like to see this ? : D

PS: I don't give a rat's @ss about "BBC" or NTR-crap and want this strictly to be either a pure love or romcom harem setting where the girls are attracted to him not mainly because of the size of his thing but by the good deeds he will do to help them or save the world. etc.... That thing should be a bonus but not the main reason why they will fall for him.

2. PotatoZero

PotatoZero Well-known Potato

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah, most of my VNs had translucent protagonist

3. lygarx

lygarx Lazy Translator

Reading List:
    Link
    Look at renpy tutorials maybe start thread at a different site like f95zone

4. slightofhand

slightofhand Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I think there is a movie about this... Black Knight
    But really there is no difference in the novel if the MC is white or black. The only thing that could change is if the other characters are racist or if you insert stereotypes into the story.

5. ExcitableFoci

ExcitableFoci Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    ongoingwhy, Ignus, Gin_Hindew and 3 others like this.
  6. Scyphoza

Scyphoza Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Make it so the protagonist didnt start out as black but when he got sent/reincarnated to the new world the first thing he encountered was a radioactive black man who bit him. Making him black. The whole novel can be about him trying to figure out if its racist to not want to be black and go back to his old race or not.

7. XenoRaku

XenoRaku 「Punished Lolicon」「Ugly Bastard」「Haunted」「NEET」

Reading List:
    Link
    .........sorry but i can only thing of netori.........

8. Sabruness

Sabruness Cultured Yuri Connoisseur

Reading List:
    Link
    "sudden very strong urge" *COUGH*virtue-signalling*COUGH*

9. Reading Queen

Reading Queen Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm not black, but here's my thoughts. I think the love interest should also be black since I think a black x black couple is equally rare in media and in the US black women are the least desirable to date so you can redress that issue with a black female love interest. Have more than 2 black characters with a variety of personality. If you are not black, ask someone black to help with the writing the black characters.

Gin_Hindew and c.decora like this.
  10. Deleted member 125960

Deleted member 125960 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
  11. De Lan

De Lan Smartass from blue planet

Reading List:
    Link
    You also can make two female characters that can be chosen, one is black and one is white or just make a yaoi

12. c.decora

c.decora Holy Cardinal, Ascended Mouse

Reading List:
    Link
    +1 This is a very important point when designing characters with a clear "realistic" background.

In any writing, you are encouraged to "show not tell." For character development, this tends to translate as: whatever trait you want to give a character, it should be at least implied by their actions. For your purpose (representation, understanding, etc), the value decreases if you end up with a character who is "black" only because you assigned them a relevant sprite. Of course, at the same time, remembering to fact-check and avoid discriminatory assumptions. Therefore... please consider that last sentence fo the quoted.

13. Gin_Hindew

Gin_Hindew Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You need some nice waifus, make a plant girl waifu and an avian girl waifu, watermelon girl and (fried) chicken girl

Im mexican so if you dont use my ideas its because you are a racist asshole

Now, seriously speaking visual novel's MCs are almost the player's point of view so their skin color doesnt feature much on the story, and if we want to get technical racial diversity its already heavily portrayed as a good thing in isekai

You know, the MC gotta have a waifu of every race available, and the evil nobles who want to kill the busty cow girls, flexible cat girls, loyal dog girls and long-tongued snake girls are always obviously wrong

A very important part of why SJW stories are so boring its because they are so obviously victimized and never in the wrong, compare that with stuff like X-men where there are supremacist mutant factions trying to oppress the regular people, that really contrasts the heroes who want to coexist peacefully

So, make a story where there are good blacks and bad blacks, otherwise it would be another victimfest

14. Deleted member 38284

Deleted member 38284 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
  15. Rodriguez II

Reading List:
    Link
    Thanks for the advice and recommendations everyone ! [​IMG]

I have so longed to read both Light Novels and Visual Novels with a Black Protagonist for many years, so I really have to get started on my Black Protagonist VN as soon as possible, as I have been reading LNs and VNs for a long time, but lately I just can't seem to have any appetite at reading any novels unless if it has a Black Protagonist, since over all these years, all of the novels I've read either featured a White/Caucasian or European-modelled or a Japanese protagonist, so I want to read one with a Black main character for a change, since I am someone who easily gets bored and tired of seeing the same things all the time and have always been an adventurous person who likes to explore new things all the time.

While I am not a Black person in real life, I have the ability to empathize with any human being of any race as long as he/she is a good person, so it's very easy for me to even self-insert as a Black Protagonist as long as he has the same interests and similar personality as me. Heck, I'd even relate to an Extraterrestrial protag with blue, purple, red or green skin as long as he/she is a good person.

By the way, here is a Web Novel I posted on Narou which features a Black Protagonist I created : https://ncode.syosetu.com/n7096fy/

I am quite shy to share it, but I want you guys to know how determined I am in wanting to see a Visual Novel made with a Black Protagonist too. I want to do anything I can within my power and ability to successfully make an Eroge with a Black Protagonist, so i hope more people can share their ideas here on how to make one with a story like that, as I am still an amateur writer.

By the way, I am a very shy person in real life.

16. Konstantin

Konstantin Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You are wrong, black dudes aren't rare in manga...in hentai manga. They are very very common, especially in NTR (cheating) titles. xDD
    They aren't rare in Eroge either...in netorare, anyway.
    Those are mostly about dark elves, though.

17. Deleted member 38284

Deleted member 38284 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    Are you sure? I didn't check all of them, but none of the ones i've checked were elves, and i've checked about half of them.
    And excluding the elf tag doesn't change a thing.

18. ongoingwhy

ongoingwhy Meat Pie Lover

Reading List:
    Link
    So, the whole theme of your visual novel revolves around the fact that the protagonist is black...? Is his dark skin tone going to affect other's perception of him? Will they ostracize him because of his skin color? If not, why even bother? I don't think people who play VNs actually care much about the protagonist.

c.decora and Sabruness like this.
  19. Rodriguez II

Reading List:
    Link
    Is RenPy a good engine to make an amateur-level Visual Novel ? (Since I plan to make it as a one-man project all by myself, including drawing the art myself)

20. c.decora

c.decora Holy Cardinal, Ascended Mouse

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes.