I want to learn programming

Discussion in 'Tech Discussion' started by MrNebulist, May 12, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Dirav

Dirav Happy Commoner.. \(°•,°)/

Reading List:
    Link
    Hey, this is not scam if we believe that we can deliver it.. and the hard logic is almost finished, anyway. I believe i can do it, and i look for team to learn together and to work with. Basically i form my own community for both learning and working purpose. It is just that most people start learning to code before working. What i do is doing it together. One of my member is an experienced coder though, so i learn a lot from him. This way, i also got a free mentor.. :)

2. Truerror

Truerror Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    No. C is not outdated. Using the bread analogy, using C# is like making bread with machines. You have mixers and electric ovens and molds so you can make several breads in rapid succession. Using C would be like making a bread entirely by hand and some simple tools. The good thing is, you'll have bigger freedom on how to make your bread, even though it'll take longer. In C#'s case to change the shape of the bread, you'd have to change the mold, so you can't. With C however, you shape it yourself. Good or bad depends entirely on your own effort.

And C still sees a lot of uses today. Critical modules in Python are made with C. Resource-tight embedded boards needs something like C (C# can fit into the less-constrained embedded systems, but not all) or, yes, sometimes it has to be done in assembly, and these are necessary jobs to do. If you ever get one of these rare jobs, please don't quit, no matter what your professor says. That said though, such systems usually are not based on x86, so they'd usually have their own assembly languages.

predictingthings and justmehere like this.
  3. noisypixy

noisypixy Sacatunn que pen, que summum que tun.

Reading List:
    Link
    Anyone who says C is outdated: do humanity a favor and quit programming.

Truerror, blackhawkrider and linnil like this.
  4. Dupe2718

Dupe2718 Dragon God

Reading List:
    Link
    I disagree here. I feel he'll learn better through judicious use of the interwebz.

noisypixy likes this.
  5. lnv

lnv ✪ Well-Known Hypocrite

Reading List:
    Link
    As someone who has programmed for over 20 years. If you are just starting, go with NODE JS

It is the easiest path to programming almost anything.

While there are other programming languages out there that may be better at specialized usage, NODE JS is more like the jack of all trades, master of none. But I assure you 99% of people don't go as far as master usage.

NODE JS is powered by javascript which is the underlining front end programming language of the web. Aka, regardless of what programming language you chose, if you want to program for the web, you need to learn javascript anyways. (And even these days, many desktop and mobile apps instead of native guis chose to use gui web guis that use javascript since the gui libraries for javascript are too convenient)

The logic of NODE JS is if you have to learn javascript anyways, why not just use it for everything.

So you can use:

NODE JS - Desktop applications, backend web, mobile apps
    Javascript - Front end web, mobile apps
    MongoDB - Database
    WebGL - games

And for all those you only need 1 programming language. Javascript.

Hence why if you want the quickest path to programming that can do anything, NODE JS.

PS I am a Perl Programmer (though I know many other programming languages), all hail perl the ever living! We shall return!

So I am not picking favorites here. If I had to start from scratch, I would go NODE JS.

Last edited: May 19, 2017
    predictingthings likes this.