Feature Request I want to request a new feature for NU

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Bug Reports' started by WeaselLord, Jul 20, 2018.

1. Cosmic_

Cosmic_ [Novel Addict] [Lazy Writer] [Meh Editor]

Reading List:
    Link
    I feel like the TL/ED should of put a warning then.

Disgusting and Nom de Plume like this.
  2. WeaselLord

WeaselLord Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I would also be fine with changing the rape tag to just something along the lines of "this novel has explicit rape in it. The rape is not implied, it is certain that it occurred."
    Though some people would probably want similar changes to the NTR and Racism tags

3. SoulZer0

SoulZer0 Heaven Refining

Reading List:
    Link
    The rape in VS was like "btw, 30 valkyries got raped". That's it

4. WeaselLord

Reading List:
    Link
    but I have no way of communicating with TLers and Editors outside of novel updates because my email hates half of all websites and won't receive any emails so I can't make accounts on most translation sites to mention it. and if I dont mention it, then a lot of TLers and Editors won't mention it either.

yeah, except it took up about two entire chapters.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 20, 2018
  5. SoulZer0

SoulZer0 Heaven Refining

Reading List:
    Link
    More like the story was told from POV of a valkyrie that almond got raped

6. WeaselLord

Reading List:
    Link
    almond? if you meant almost then you misread, all of them got raped except for the one that was never caught. The POV valkyrie was also raped, just that it was before her POV started

7. HiroBlaze

HiroBlaze Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Was it explicit details or just a passing comment or narration? If its not explicit or play any role in the plot or main characters then its not applicable. People feel particularly strongly if the MC is the rapist or his or her lover is raped.

It would help if you guys posted citations of where this occurred in the novel like the chapter or section. I haven't read the novel, but Norse Mythology does have rape in it as well as other classical myths. Judging from the synopsis and tags it seems more like a survival of the fittest type of novel.

8. Cosmic_

Cosmic_ [Novel Addict] [Lazy Writer] [Meh Editor]

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah that's a problem. I can understand then since it'd be better for NU to implement something like a warning feature since NU would be able to universally do that.

I'd find it should be common courtesy/good service for TLs to give warnings for such chapters, but that's not always the case and some just don't do it due to reasons(don't bother or not sure where the line for warning is).

You know how NU is often user/nuffians editing the novel pages like adding tags etc? I think a good warning feature would be allowing users the ability to add an little warning icon (like a exclamation mark symbol) next to the chapter/release. Kinda reminds me of the lock symbol for ad gates. Also having it so when you click/hover over that little icon, it shows a box or line listing the reason for the warning icon. These reason would be some preset/from a list of reasons like clear descriptive depiction of cruelity or high gore or explicit sexual content or excessive profanity like how tags work.

There could also be an additional category/tab/section on the left side (where tag, author, genre, language info are) of novel pages that would also be for warnings mainly like RRL's for when these things like (rape, abuse, profanity, or just highly R-18 or NSFW etc) are prevalent(more than one chapter and just for minor character).

Just throwing ideas. Maybe get @Tony to comment if these two feature idea would be good or if it's a bad/redundant idea due to the existence of tags or it being the translation site's responsibility/courtesy/expectation/job or other reasons.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2018
    Haigi and WeaselLord like this.
  9. Blitz

Blitz ⛈️ awakened from the reverie❄️

Reading List:
    Link
    Wait does it actually have anything to do with the protagonist?

10. MangoGuy

MangoGuy Rambling Mango

Reading List:
    Link
    1) the kind of novels which are on NU means that readers should ALWAYS expect violence/gore/rape etc. We need to realise that for the kind of novels that are present, those are standard. Like, even fluffy novels have rape.
    2) in this particular case, no. Imho, that is just spoilers. There are people on NU who have a hyper phobia about rape. To them, this warning is a major no no, even if the novel is good. Like, VS had this rape for what?? Nothing. Skip those chapters and you can still sleep.
    3) The unexpected nature of this rape is what made it such a thing. What if you were spoiled? If you are then ok with a brutal rape, then what is the issue now?

11. Das

Das Lazing around Devil's Luck

Reading List:
    Link
    ...to be completely honest, I'd blow someone's brains out and not care. Hell that's more of less my job, seek out and destroy the enemy.. but regardless of that. At the point in the novel said event happens, they are in the middle of a war, not a conventional war, but a war of annihilation, eradication... I'm more surprised at how much they glossed over it.. if rape of all things triggers you in the middle of impending doom of all, then you need to rethink things

12. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    Warning this story contain mature blablabablablaba

19637.png

13. LeakLeaf

LeakLeaf Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    it's not realistic for you to assume the NU can make this feature do you know how many novels they are? like they need to look for all those and then put rape tag on them it's not their job the only one that can is the translator and sometimes they forget or they are not at the part of the story that got rape stuff in it and even so they are not getting paid to do that so why would they?

14. Nom de Plume

Nom de Plume [Shio’s Disciple] [True Villain] [Equip: Gunblade] Novel Updates Staff

Reading List:
    Link
    The tag system is a work in progress; I think it’s getting some updates. Although I don’t know specifics or even when it will be complete, hopefully it will address your issue.

Sorry to hear you had that happen to you in a novel and that your issue won’t be resolved in a short amount of time. You’re not wrong that once the tags start getting more specific in one area people will want more specific in another. The system as a whole needs some work and clarification. There was a similar ‘surprise’ chapter from another POV in I’ll live my second Life and The Imperial Princess Accidentally Seduced her Husband is just... never ever read it.
    (It should also have torture and forced miscarriage tags if those are a thing)

runsing likes this.
  15. Disgusting

Disgusting Fetishist

Reading List:
    Link
    Honestly, rape in novels is just as common as harems.

For every harem member there will be a rape victim. If you cannot tolerate rape, there is nothing anyone can do for you.

Honestly, rape doesnt "happen" in a single sentence. So grow the fuck up and either read that shit or skip it.

Example:
    Blah blah blah... as Caroline was walking towards her car, a masked man walked up behind her and knocked her down.(a) As she realized what just happened, her skirt was lifted as a pair of hands was groping....(c)

(a) - will someone save her? Am i too scared to find out?
    (b) - You goin read about rape