Discussion .

Discussion in 'Gaming Discussion' started by Miku, Sep 6, 2019.

1. Xigua

Xigua Unknown member

Reading List:
    Link
  2. Tooth_Fairy

Tooth_Fairy New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Why would you stop playing vidya, baka? :p

3. Melodious Nocturne

Melodious Nocturne [Dance, water, dance!] [My name is Demyx!]

Reading List:
    Link
    That would require OP to be anywhere near a lake or other such body of water. It may not be practical for OP, if OP is too far away.

My advice? Find something else to be addicted to. ╮( ̄▽ ̄"")╭ Defeat one addiction by getting a new one.

4. imlookingfor28929

imlookingfor28929 Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Figure out why you play games.
    Figure out why you want to stop playing games.
    Solve problem that makes you play games.

Ex:
    1. I play games because I have no friends or hobbies
    2. I want to stop because i am unfullfilled and unhappy.
    3. I will try to take steps to make friends and tey to find new hobbies.

5. PaiN

PaiN Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
  6. Razort

Razort Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    How wrong you are...
    You can be addicted to mundane things like video games. Addiction signifies that it goes beyond a mere dependency and will power is not reliable when it comes to breaking a genuine addiction. I’d say about when I got out of high school and started taking (community)college classes, I had no idea what sort of future I wanted for myself. So to fill the void of having few friends (most of them left town for college, the military, or just to move after highschool) and nothing to aspire towards, I played video games. A LOT of video games. It didn’t feel like an addiction to me because I was having fun playing them, I didn’t realize how much money I spent on video games at that time and frankly I didn’t care either. I played video games non stop as often as possible. At some point I began lying to my parents who were helping me to pay for my college classes, I began to skip every single class I had and just went to the school library where I used the free WiFi to play video games and surf the internet. Also there were two classes I was interested in and passed with good grades, I ended up failing most of them because I only ever attended Th e first class and skipped the rest of them. I did have two jobs one after the other to help pay for my gaming, though one didn’t last long.

It was when I was playing one of those multiplayer card games (Anybody care for a round of Gwent?) that I realized what sort of problem I had. I had just spent over a hundred dollars on cards for the game when I asked myself, “What the fuck?” I was addicted, and no matter how much I tried to stop playing video games as much and limit myself, I just ended up skipping classes again due to a lack of motivation and general interest. I wasted several thousand dollars. I realized I needed to do something drastic. After the semester ended, I quit my job, headed towards the military recruiters, and joined the US Air Force then and there, after a bit of research of course. I owned up to my parents about how I wasted their money and I intended to not join the military to own up to my mistakes but to break my addiction and find purpose in my life. I’m very glad I did as well, else I would’ve never found out my liver disease and need for my very recent liver transplant surgery. Nowadays and while I was waiting for my surgery, video games just became less... interesting. I still play ones I like but I’m able to easily stop myself from playing too much simply because I don’t find them as much engaging for lack of a better term than when I was addicted. I’m taking college classes with the intention of getting a bachelors degree in an ECE (early childhood education) course. I’m reading more now mainly thanks to NU (even non Asian novels). And I finally feel like my daily thoughts don’t revolve entirely on how I’m going to do things next in a video game.

Never downplay an addiction regardless of what it entails. It comes in many forms and people are often powerless to resist the mental hold an addiction has on them whether Said addiction is caused chemically or emotionally and mentally.

Ichigoeater and AMissingLinguist like this.
  7. StuffedDuck

StuffedDuck Stuffed with Fluff

Reading List:
    Link