I will be removing the translations for The Latest Game is too Amazing in a day or so.

Discussion in 'Novel Discussion' started by silentwolfie, Mar 18, 2018.

1. silentwolfie

silentwolfie Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm the translator for this series and I asked for permission from the author about a week ago, but it's a no go, so I will be removing the series really soon from my website (24 hours~).

Here's his message, and my translation below.

はじめまして、うきせくさこです

メッセージを読みました
    返信が遅れて申し訳ありません
    海外の方にも私の作品を読んでいただいていることは大変うれしいです

ですが契約によって
    この作品を翻訳して他のサイトで公開することは許可されていません

意に沿えず申し訳ありません

以上

Hello, this is Ukisekusako

I read the message
    Sorry for the late reply
    I am really happy that the people overseas read my work too

However, due to the fact that there is a contract
    That is why the permission to translate this work cannot be given and published on other websites.

I am sorry that I cannot acquiesce to your request

- This the end of the message

I asked him if there's anything else he wants to say and,

返信ありがとうございます。うきせくさこです

>私は失礼かもしれませんが、海外の読者に何か言いたいですか?

言語の壁がある中で自分の作品を読んでいただいていることは嬉しく思います

次回作書くことがあれば今後とも応援のほどよろしくお願いします

Thank you very much for the reply. This is Ukisekusako

(Silentwolfie: I asked him if there's anything else he wants to say)

I'm pleased that that my work is read even though there's a language barrier

If there's a future work I thank you for your continued support

- End message

So if you guys want the series to be picked up officially, maybe you can try asking JNovel.

Therefore mods, please kindly remove the links to my website. I have updated my 404 page to include a txt link, as well as links to JNovel & Yenpress contact pages until further notice.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2018
    Anon2.0, Pyoo, Ai chan and 9 others like this.
  2. xTachibana

xTachibana Wincest King

Reading List:
    Link
    say no more, downloading it all now

kariage, Anon2.0, Arcelia and 12 others like this.
  3. slakids

slakids Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well.... Translating JP will be threatened by contract while translating CN have to be careful.... Too famous and you'll lost it ..snached by 'You Know Who' :blobpopcorn::blobpopcorn::blobpopcorn:

4. RTS

RTS ☀┩ îИϑîℂ✞υƧ ɛӼքʊɢռǟȶօʀ┡☀

Reading List:
    Link
    You did all you could, @silentwolfie. Thanks for you effort!

5. replay

replay ★Milk and Honey smelling Merchant★

Reading List:
    Link
    well good thing you tried . . .

on to the next novel!!

6. Rickymex

Rickymex Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Is this the one with the childhood friend at the very beginning and the unlucky girl?

7. Kysil

Kysil [Progenitor of Sloth][Sloth Demon]

Reading List:
    Link
    Well... That sad

8. Jigoku Shounen

Jigoku Shounen An Envoy From Hell

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, when you asked for permission of a novel With LN publication, then most of them will say No. Just wondering if their contracts involve both the LN and WN though.

9. Westeller

Westeller Smokin' Sexy Style!! Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    He didn't say he doesn't want you to translate it. Just that he has a contract and so can't give you permission to. :blobowoevil:

Okay. Yeah. I know that's a stretch........ Anyway:

No need. Both google and webarchive picked up the chapters. Taking down the chapters is actually sort of a pointless move, as far as things go. It's also a move I personally hate, since it inevitably lends itself to aggregator use. ... The bigger issue is the ceasing of further translation, and that honestly should be *all* that happens... Oh well.. Viva la piracy, apparently.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2018
    Slayerwolfx2, animanaicT and EmEm like this.
  10. Seigin

Seigin [Lolicon][GenderBender Banzai!]

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah... just let teh chapters rot in there....

11. rodusk123

rodusk123 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Sorry to hear that, it was a really interesting novel too. Its unfortunate that you weren't able to continue translating but I look forward to your next project as your translation is honestly very good.

12. xTachibana

xTachibana Wincest King

Reading List:
    Link

I'm of the mindset that if you're already doing something illegal (translating novels without permission), asking for it later down the road is kinda....pointless. Just continue translating until they themselves are aware of it.

shade0180, EmEm and UnknownSaint171 like this.
  13. UnknownSaint171

UnknownSaint171 To Something Sounds Cooler

Reading List:
    Link
    This saddens me greatly, I’ve been waiting forever to see how it builds up, now I wonder if we’ll ever see the end of it? probably not

14. Xane

Xane Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Am I reading that right as they only said they can't give permission, not calling for cease & desist?

I guess there could be problems in the future if it gets licensed to be published.

15. Westeller

Reading List:
    Link
    Eh... I actually think it's ideal to get the author's consent.

If you're profiting from the translation, they should get their cut, too! If you're not taking donations, using patreon or even advertisments, well, at least they know you're translating it purely as a fan, for other fans. If they're cool with that.. It's all good. .... If you ask and the author says no, though, ceasing the translation is the obvious thing to do.

Taking down the translation work you've done so far, however, is not only pointless, it's also directly harmful to the entire community.

A lot of people turn to aggregators simply because a link is broken. We get thread(s) - multiple! - literally every day here with people asking where they can read a novel with broken links. As much as they get directed to google's cache or webarchive, just as many are immediately directed to aggregators. I have to redact links near constantly. .. Moreover, the people that make these threads are likely indicative of a much larger and more silent number of people. Missing translations feed aggregators.

If you plan to ask for the author's permission, though, you really should do so before posting a single chapter. If you've already begun translating, it's way too late to remove your translations after the author says no. Trying to do so just causes way more harm than good, no matter what intentions you have.

Pyoo, Slayerwolfx2 and animanaicT like this.
  16. prongsjiisan

prongsjiisan Apostle of Violence

Reading List:
    Link
    Yay can you share with me?

17. xTachibana

xTachibana Wincest King

Reading List:
    Link
    pew pew, I just downloaded them as webpage files, for some reason making pdfs is bugged for me

prongsjiisan likes this.
  18. silentwolfie

silentwolfie Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, I'm sorry but I have to disagree. While it's true that aggregators 'benefit' from a missing translation, they are already benefitting by stealing in the first place. China is a pretty good example of such aggregators, and even if one goes poof, another takes its place. The damage is already done.

I honestly don't think one can claim to be a fan if they go against the wishes of the author. Taking it down is an ethical issue and I'm not about to put it back up, unless the author somehow changes his mind one day. This is what I believe a responsible fan translator should do even if his works get used by aggregators after that.

If one day someone asks in the forum about this issue and want more translations, perhaps someone else can point to my post. If you're a real fan, then respect the wishes of the author who did not give permission to translate+publish. Emailing legitimate outlets like Yenpress or JNovel to get new novels, are the true means of supporting the authors, and if you like this novel, do it!

Or the other alternatives are to learn japanese or MTL the webnovel. Both are very good options because you get to read more japanese webnovels, cough.

Pyoo and Ai chan like this.
  19. prongsjiisan

prongsjiisan Apostle of Violence

Reading List:
    Link
    nooooooooo gimme for uhm "educational purposes"

20. Westeller

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't think you understood. ... This isn't about the aggregators benefitting from your translation. As you said, they do that anyway. No, this is about you DIRECTING people TO aggregators when they go looking for your translation. You are SENDING new people to aggregators when they otherwise had no reason to go. .. and that isn't just your problem. It's EVERYONE's problem.

If you wanted to "claim to be a fan," you should have asked for the author's permission and gotten an answer before you posted your very first chapter. You were already failing to "respect the wishes of the author who did not give permission to translate+publish" at that point, and even if you want to make up for that now, you should do so by no longer translating, NOT by taking down your work. It's TOO LATE to take it down, anyway - the aggregators already have it. You can't take it back. What you CAN do is not assist them in fucking everyone else over.

And when someone asks in the forums, we do tell them why a novel was taken down and try to direct them to legitimate sources if we can. The problem is that legitimate sources are not always available or the option they decide to take. It's also common for random people to suggest aggregators. ... Plus, like I said, the people that go to the trouble of making a thread are an obvious minority, and an indication of a much larger issue caused by missing chapters.

So say whatever you want. All you're doing is feeding aggregators, and causing trouble for literally every other translator around.

The authors, too. This author doesn't benefit at all from you taking down your translation. The translation is out there and that's that. You're only satisfying your own vanity by taking it down from your site at this point, and not doing a damn thing for the author. If anything, you're just harming him further by directing fans of his work to aggregators.

Disagree all you want. The reality will show the first time someone makes a thread asking where they can read this novel. And the second time. And the third time. All while many people don't even bother making a thread, and just google it. Plenty of options there.

LeeEzekiel, Pyoo, shade0180 and 4 others like this.