i7 2gb ram???

Discussion in 'Tech Discussion' started by dritch124c, Jan 7, 2018.

1. dritch124c

dritch124c Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's an online store btw

2. ballster147

ballster147 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    maybe i7 8gb ram 2gb graphics
    8gb ram is on the better side,
    Most lowest but still ok is 4gb ram 2gb graphics (avoid shared graphics)

Honestly just know the store credibility and product brand/model ...
    since its online better to make sure its warranty....

3. DarthOu

DarthOu 《Lord Vader》

Reading List:
    Link
    Even if it's a 2gb ram, most laptop nowadays can upgrade up to 32gb ram or maybe 64gb. However, I do agree with some posters, it's possibly a typo on the advertisement.

4. Kishimura

Kishimura 騎士村

Reading List:
    Link
    Online store, and they said thay can't confirm the spec while they are selling laptop. This is really suspicious :hmm:

5. Eldau

Eldau And now for something completely different

Reading List:
    Link
    As many others noted, I would go check the graphics card and if they have it, further specifications, many online stores in my country often advertise using insufficient data, like xx RAM, [Insert speed of CPU], xx graphics card, and thats it. Thats when you go look up the detailed specifications to see what is actually what, how much memory ram, what speed, what type.

Do decide if you want to buy it and just upgrade the RAM manually afterwards to 8 or 16 GB later on.

6. coyoteelabs

coyoteelabs Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    This line you copied points directly to video card memory. When talking about laptops, the only place that uses dedicated for memory is the video card. Looks like just a lazy description.

It would have helped a lot more if you'd give the link to the store's page or the entire description text.

DarthOu likes this.
  7. Exodius

Exodius Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    According to the MSI website, the 2GB you see should be the GeForce® GTX 1050 with 2GB GDDR5.

8. elengee

elengee Daoist Ninefaps

Reading List:
    Link
    I remember working a whole summer just to get 2x 256MB for my gaming pc :blob_coughblood::blob_coughblood::blob_coughblood::blob_coughblood:

9. raitei

raitei ⟪Procyon lotor paronomasiaabsentii⟫

Reading List:
    Link
  10. Lolistalker

Lolistalker Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I think you should do a little bit more research before buying laptop since they are not cheap, also you might want to share the exact model of said laptop you are talking about? (normally as long as the exact model is the same they shouldve spesific spec that you could find online) and important thing to note is i7 has many generation, 3 years old i7 is still an i7 but will be less powerful than i5 released this year so plz dont just decided a laptop spec just based on that
    and it is also depend on what you are planning on using it for, gaming for example need a good GPU instead of CPU, normal browsing etc even built in GPU will be enough, as for Vram VS Ram and how much you need them, average use and light gaming 2-3 gb VRam should be enough, 4gb RAM is the minimum if you are planning on doing any multitasking at all, and of course they all come with a price so be prepared, another thing to note is if thermal, iMac for example has a terrible thermal that throttle the CPU so they might perform worse than it should, make sure to find review online or preferably ask experienced person

11. FINN

FINN Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    What kind of laptop productions name?(asus, acer, sony, Toshiba, vaio, Apple etc.) and what is your budget and your spec requirements you need, maybe we can recommend you some laptop to considered.

As of laptop you written up there, there is a lot of laptop with different spec but same series. For example laptop "DELL" series inspiron 14 inc serial types 3443 is dual-core I7 with RAM 2Gb and then in the some shop they sell "DELL" inspiron dual-core I7 with same series but different RAM such as RAM 8Gb.
    If you ask the seller they might say that laptop is the newest edition. but actually that laptop is reassembled with different RAM with same compatibility for the laptops and some are truly original spec with same series, same type, and same product. And so if you search it there is probability that some info will be confusing.

Lastly, my opinion is if you buy laptops with RAM 8Gb you will get 6Gb (minus 2 Gb for installed graphics such as NVIDIA or G-FORCE) and if you buy laptops with RAM 2Gb you will get 1Gb (minus 1Gb for the graphics) in my calculations. So choose wisely on the priority and what you want to do after buying it.

Sorry for not being able to help and bad grammar.

dritch124c likes this.
  12. Simple As It

Simple As It Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    well, what he was expecting though? unless he's planning to buy "gaming" laptop or something. it was pretty normal for laptop have low VRAM but for me, 2GB VRAM was already good enough for laptop. to buy something which mean he have a purpose to buy it, as for what? gaming? rendering? designing? ... buy PC Desktop if he want higher spec with the same price as that laptop.

BTW: I'm still using my 6 years old laptop as my working device, aaaaand still fine with 512mb Vram and 4gb ram, I was using it for editing and tracing for animated work.

dritch124c likes this.
  13. WiroSableng

WiroSableng Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Right click on windows startmenu -> run -> enter ' dxdiag ' (without the quote) -> your laptop specs will shows there

14. dritch124c

Reading List:
    Link
    Was it also i7? :blobfearful:

15. dritch124c

Reading List:
    Link
    MSI PL62 7RD Intel Core i7 7500U is the laptop btw

16. elengee

elengee Daoist Ninefaps

Reading List:
    Link
    lol, i doubt it. I think it was some AMD Athlon or something at the time, with Corsair twin ram. It worked pretty well on Unreal Tournament 2k13 lol. :blobrofl:

17. Simple As It

Simple As It Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    buy PC if you want better spec with the same price, or find the less "branded" laptop, like Lenovo, Acer, Asus and many else.

my 6 year old laptop still run smoothly crysis 2 with low setting, I miss those old days when I force my laptop to play incompatible game

elengee likes this.
  18. SoulZer0

SoulZer0 Heaven Refining

Reading List:
    Link
    If you have been a customer for that certain store for a long time and is familiar with the workers there, why not? If it's just some random store, they'll just simply tell you buy the one that would use all of your budget for profit instead of finding the best one for you.

19. dritch124c

Reading List:
    Link
    If i get a pc, id probably have to share it, so no.:blobunamused:
    Last time we had a pc, some people(fam) flooded it with viruses and bloatware.... It's dead now.

20. SoulZer0

SoulZer0 Heaven Refining

Reading List:
    Link
    Same like me, but now that I bought my own pc, I told my family whoever wants to use it have to be supervised by me.