Ideas Needed For Literary Festival

Discussion in 'Author Discussions' started by Eishun, Aug 8, 2019.

1. Eishun

Eishun Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Singapore is having a literary festival next year. It's called #BuySingLit. And there's an open call for programmes (right here: https://buysinglit.sg/buysinglit-2020-open-call/). Interested parties have to submit their proposals by 23rd of this month.

The #BuySingLit festival is looking for programmes that say Singapore literature is engaging, interesting and representative of our cultural identity. The festival also wants to promote the message that Singapore writers and publishers and booksellers have an important role in bringing our stories to all.

Programmes may include but not limited to author talks, workshops, performances, panel discussions, book clubs, pop-up stores, cosplay etc. All programmes must be held in Singapore during one or both of the #BuySingLit weekends.

Now, I face 2 problems. Firstly, I don't have anyone, not one single friend, to assist me so I can't do anything big. An author talk maybe, but nothing like a workshop.

And secondly, my book is a non-fiction memoir about my work as a security guard. Unlike a YA fantasy novel or a children's storybook, there isn't room in a non-fiction memoir for dress-up games or puppet shows.

So I am stumped for ideas about what I can do for a programme. Feel free to share your ideas with me.

2. juniorjawz

juniorjawz Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Go back to cultural identities. Every writer there is sure to have some kind of history that made them started writing, especially the older generation/seniors there.

You could probably do an info gathering and share those stories in a booth or webpage (Facebook?). Keep it short and simple for each story and let people read it.

I suppose the theme could be : "Why we started writing".

A documentary of sorts I suppose.

Fulminata and Eishun like this.
  3. Deleted member 155674

Deleted member 155674 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    Can't you do something like a one man performance (or a stand up show/comedy, you can renact some of your experience from your work as a security guard not to mention that depending on how good your show is, it might serve as advertising for your book or/and and raise its popularity)

Eishun likes this.
  4. Westeller

Westeller Smokin' Sexy Style!! Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    No dress-up games? But you could, y'know, dress in uniform...

Fulminata and juniorjawz like this.
  5. juniorjawz

juniorjawz Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    :aww: we about to watch comedy from a security guard?

"Are you here for work or the event?"
    "Both." :blobspy::blobcatcop:

Westeller likes this.
  6. Westeller

Westeller Smokin' Sexy Style!! Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    That'd be fantastic, actually. #BuySingLit, "Even the security guards are authors!"

Fulminata and juniorjawz like this.