Question If I want to recruit Chinese translators, how much should I paid?

Discussion in 'Translator's Corner' started by fengharry, Nov 18, 2019.

1. fengharry

fengharry Member

Reading List:
    Link
    My friends want to build a company about Chinese web novels and want to know the cost of a translator. So there are some questions:
    1. Where could find the translators? here or other web sites?
    2. the cost of a translator and how often paid the salary? day? weekly? month?
    3. machine translation and human translation have serious differences? And now readers are willing to pay money for machine translation?
    4. for Chinese web novels, I should find in Southeast Asia or everywhere? And the cost has differences?
    5. the percents of translator, author, and company
    Thanks for your help.
    And I also want to make friends, this is my message:
    [​IMG]

2. Wu Jizun

Wu Jizun Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Nobody responsible should be answering those questions. These questions are things you/or those in charge need to answer because you are the only ones can answer in your context. If you insist on asking, you should be asking someone who's gone through the business side of this.

The one part I'm sure we can all answer responsibly is your 3rd question. Yes, they will.

3. fengharry

fengharry Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes, you are right. And I also collect the information in other ways.
    Novelupdates is one of the best platforms for translators and readers. I believe there are enough professionals could give me advice.

4. xiazixin

xiazixin Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    @krrizis would know it more I think.
    @fengharry Here is for fans translates, 英化组,要培养新人的,不养新人要专业的话去proz网
    https://www.proz.com
    看你朋友公司要养萌新吗? 这里跟贴吧轻小说吧差不多。
    开公司去轻小说吧找翻译,不建议。 找同爱好和萌新还是可以的。

5. fengharry

fengharry Member

Reading List:
    Link
  6. Solus

Solus 自分のことお嫌いです

Reading List:
    Link
    No.3, there are difference between human translators and machine translators. At the very least, machine translators cannot distinguish/recognize idioms, online slangs, and typos that author purposely did for cuteness purpose or to evade censor.

And pfft no, I won't pay for machine translation lol. They can't even differentiate between he and she for God sake.

7. krrizis

krrizis Runs Ainushi, Read18 & Chaleuria

Reading List:
    Link
    1. Where could find the translators? here or other web sites?
    @xiazixin has answered your question.

2. the cost of a translator and how often paid the salary? day? weekly? month?
    Depends on where you obtain your translators. Fan translators are paid monthly. Translators on professional sites are paid by word count with an upfront payment at the start (for some) and balance at the end. Otherwise paid in full at the start.

3. machine translation and human translation have serious differences? And now readers are willing to pay money for machine translation?
    Huge differences. As @Solus explains, it misses certain contexts that a native speaker can spot. Even if readers are willing to pay for it, often it's a matter of quality vs quantity in the end. Better to maintain quality instead of quantity.

4. for Chinese web novels, I should find in Southeast Asia or everywhere? And the cost has differences?
    Cost differs depending on your negotiation with the companies. I am unable to assist in the how and where to find your sources as everyone has different contacts. Just do your research. Set a budget for how much you're willing to spend on licensing. Work within that.

5. the percents of translator, author, and company
    Differs with each company. Again, I will not be able to advise completely how that works and what is the best ratio.

xiazixin likes this.