If Stories were 10% more realistic

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Alexander Valdimir, Dec 15, 2018.

1. Alexander Valdimir

Alexander Valdimir Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If story were just ten percent more realistic than There will never be a little boy transporting to another world. Instead of choosing one little 18 year old boy who literally is coming out of bedlock. They'll find a more suitable candidate that actually holds experience and understanding of what's is necessary to achieve victory. Example: Basically anyone who have military experience, holds a high degree of martial power, A strong charismatic leader, or etc would honestly be better rather than some random highschool boy.

During battles, both side would shut up and formulate a strategy in their head to achieve victory. There would be more psychological warfare between the two always trying to get the upper edge rather than rambling shit nobody cares about.

Character and especially villains would actually be smart, not even talking about fellas who simply talk about Mt Tai. I'm talking about villains who actually understand their overall objective, while maintaining a professional understanding of the nuisance, Aka protagonist.

But naturally its a novel, Fantasies novels are a good escapism from reality. I wouldn't actually expect novels to have its pivotal entertainment in imitating reality. Those moments when novels tries to emulate realism that it loses the joy of reading while producing a superficial haywork. (The World Online)

I'm just thinking about how a fictional would play out if it were actually be more realistic. Feel free to give examples of Unrealistic fictional settings.

2. SoulZer0

SoulZer0 Heaven Refining

Reading List:
    Link
    Look at the tag, well, guess I'll do it. am0kxM79_700w_0.jpg

3. Cosmic_

Cosmic_ [Novel Addict] [Lazy Writer] [Meh Editor]

Reading List:
    Link
    Anyone seen Spider-man: Into the Spider-verse?

Deleted member 32451 likes this.
  4. Kaminomikan

Kaminomikan 神のみ感

Reading List:
    Link
    they choose teenagers because they are easier to manipulate.

[​IMG]

5. strucker543

strucker543 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    That spiderverse movie was awesome!!

And yea kidnappers or attempted rapist would be handed over to the police not let go after a mini beat down

6. chencking

chencking [Daolord Grammar Nazi]

Reading List:
    Link
    Unless the god or summoner wanted a naive child who would throw themselves into combat as if they were immortal. Who knows, maybe they're replaceable. Then they just need kamikaze heroes.

7. nuubman

nuubman Russia greatest love machine !

Reading List:
    Link
  8. raikun1209

raikun1209 Wandering Prinny

Reading List:
    Link
    Basically your average western movies.

9. chencking

chencking [Daolord Grammar Nazi]

Reading List:
    Link
    [​IMG]

10. anon

anon Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    looks awful.

11. FussyBadger

FussyBadger Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link

Alright OP let me take an actual stab at this and not try to cover it up with webs. If I was in the role of doing the summoning the last thing I would want would be your 'experienced' protag. If I was the one control said protag that I will now refer to as P. I'd want P to be easily manipulated or brought to my ideological viewpoint. If P already has experience in a form of combat, leadership or government bureaucracy I'd be very upset. I want P to be a pawn or a useful piece to my/country/race's plans. If he is already coming a certain way his viewpoints/trainings/whatever else will clash with those already in power. In most cases of this the power is already in a bad position in these kinds of stories so it could lead to a civil war/countries destruction.

In the end P would be better as the naive protag from high school who can't pick up chicks properly. He's one honey pot away from being a formidable piece for my faction/race/country

12. Anontemp

Anontemp Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Since we are talking about realism in fantasy stories, I'd like to talk about something that's a bit of a pet peeve of mine.

More specifically, it's about 'unrealistically behind in every type of scientific advancement' world settings.

I'll just use an extreme example, Magi's Grandson for this rant.

So the magic is convenient as all, excuse my language, heck.
    Pretty much you train your magic amount, and what you imagine is what happens, as long as you have a blurry image of what you want and some magic power from training. Additional knowledge of any technical kind also boosts the power somewhat.

People who are not supposed to be absolute ingrates have existed on this planet for at least a few hundred years with access to this ridiculously comfortable type of magic. They can barely hunt bears in pairs.

To explain how ridiculous this is, I'll have you know that in ancient Greece there was a philosopher who hypothesized that all physical matters were made from the smallest building blocks, what we call atoms.
    Now imagine if he could use imaginative magic to test whether atoms existed as he thought, and even better, if we could use imaginative type magic instead of electricity, how quickly would our planet have developed? Isn't it unrealistic to have a civillization older than 100 years with access to magic be less advanced than ours?

That's essentially my rant for the realism thing, could probably rant longer but I feel like I have the main point in here already.

Kaminomikan likes this.
  13. Nefasdetestasti

Nefasdetestasti ❄️Wɪɴᴛᴇʀ's Sᴏɴɢ❄️ ||| [Schrödinger Pantsu]

Reading List:
    Link
    Shitty novels were made by people who have too much imagination and zero skills at writing... if only... if only they have some logical view they could have made their imagination more awesome in our eyes..

14. Noor

Noor Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The problem is that most author wouldn't be able to write that simply because they are not good enough. sure, strategic battle, psychological warfare, intelligent villains, all of them are interesting but are also difficult to write.

15. TrollingTrolls

TrollingTrolls [Trash Talker]

Reading List:
    Link
    No no no no, you are wrong here ! If you go with the pattern of summoned stupid MC, who is manipulated, then you have to look the other way around too ! MC smarter then the summoners! So here we come when the MC thinks to himself "What a bunch of stupid beings, I can easily manipulate them, let them think they are better", so in your logic I can only summarize with this if it happens to you:

I've got you Tehee :p

16. Jigoku Shounen

Jigoku Shounen An Envoy From Hell

Reading List:
    Link
    If even just 10% more realistic, then many stories nowadays won't even exist. It's because they are unrealistic, that the Authors can use "fiction logics" to explain something that they themselves don't understand or don't know how to. "Deus Ex Machina", "Plot Armor","Miraculous Luck" etc...also won't have the chance to play a part in the story just because of "realism", 10% isn't a small amount.

17. Alexander Valdimir

Reading List:
    Link
    You're right, But I was thinking more about A God Summoning a highschool student to save their world rather than a king summoning to save their country. A huge difference between the two but honestly i don't tend to read Scenario where a teen gets transported into another world, Aka isekai. So You're right but i was considering another different scenario. OFC if the Protagonist is control than its a question if he'll be able to save the world in the end due to politics.

18. FussyBadger

FussyBadger Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Depends on how the god wants the world to develop (Death Mage is a good example of this).

19. The Great Derc

The Great Derc Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I kinda get the summon a high schooler thing. The person is young enough to have a flexible mindset, something that generally get rarer the older a person gets. At the same time, they are old enough to have somewhat of an idea of how to survive independently. Plus, a god should, in theory, be able to pick the exactly right person for the job. Cause, yanno, they are a god and all that jazz.

AliceShiki likes this.
  20. Alexander Valdimir

Reading List:
    Link
    Gods are not a perfect entity though, It's preferable that they do choose someone capable but that doesn't necessary mean that can.