Question If you were reincarnated into the past what would you do to make money?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Raven Evernight, Apr 12, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Raven Evernight

Raven Evernight But they never just accepted me for the way I was…

Reading List:
    Link
    If you reincarnated/transmigrated into the past in a fantasy world what modern knowledge would you use to make money I’m curious because most mcs are stupid with using modern knowledge to make money

2. Yuzukiku

Yuzukiku Member

Reading List:
    Link
    medicine

3. Rogel17

Rogel17 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
  4. canaria23

canaria23 『  』

Reading List:
    Link
    Assuming you can actually remember random stuff that can make money

5. lilly2805

lilly2805 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    This is a really hard question, it really depends on what type of fantasy world you are transmigrated into. I could see a character being able to create things in an under developed world but if it's a futuristic one? I don't know about that.

Also if I could create useful things in an under developed world, I think I would be afraid of being labeled as a witch or something and being hunted down. :blobspearpeek:

That or being taken advantage of and being forced to create stuff for those who hold me hostage.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2021
    cosmicimmortal likes this.
  6. cosmicimmortal

cosmicimmortal Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I study chemistry in university so if there was an alchemy/elixir system I’d probably try to monetise that. It’s in my comfort zone and I have prior knowledge that may help. I’d love to say something to do with agriculture or engineering but like I have no idea how that all works so I’ll stick with fantasy chemistry lol

evanesco99211 likes this.
  7. TypeFantasyHeart

TypeFantasyHeart Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hygiene, medicine and cooking. In the past way to many stupid mistakes were done... But we are talking about a fantasy world here, so dunno... and what past are you talking about xD. You meant medieval fantasy world or something?

nyamachi and Greater thunder like this.
  8. evanesco99211

evanesco99211 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Assuming the past in the fantasy world is like a medieval era on Earth...

The answer would be NO as I would be one of those stupid MCs.

Sure, I could kinda code but that kind of knowledge would be useless in that world. I could also boil water and wash clothes but that's basic. I do use soap, shampoo, medicine, nice clothes, car, and all, but it's not like I need to know how to make any of them so I didn't even bother to learn since I'm not interested. So, really... make money through modern knowledge?

At most, I'd be lucky if I could be a merchant apprentice or helper or some kind of accountant or something related to math if basic math is uncommon among the mass.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2021
    Gitami, lilly2805 and AliceShiki like this.
  9. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't have any modern knowledge that would be usable for making money in a medi-fantasy setting... But well, since I'd reincarnate there, I'd have time to learn how to do whatever my family does and I could live through that.

Or I could always become a cleric. Shouldn't be too hard to live if I became one.

10. Raven Evernight

Raven Evernight But they never just accepted me for the way I was…

Reading List:
    Link
    Make a bike a simple bike would be easy to make

11. Lunaleska

Lunaleska Lurking

Reading List:
    Link
    Id probably write "fantasy" novels about earth etc and hope it became a sensation with the solid world building etc.
    Because having knowledge of a "fantasy" world with lots of technology that has legit laws and possibilities will inevitably stoke inventors inspiration. And make me a sort of legend by proxy.

12. elizabethflover

elizabethflover Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    A very simple answer - buy bitcoins lol

13. Greater thunder

Greater thunder Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The past of a fantasy world?

You mean medieval style from our modern POV? Being in a fantasy world and then reborn into near/far past of said world? Reborn in our world's past with fantasy add ons?

Not much really. I know enough to know I wouldn't get much done past bare necessities for making life easier or more luxurious ( per really old time standards) like hygiene upkeep, working on cooking ( wasn't squid called devil fish for a long time and wasn't eaten? And lobsters were a poor man's food with nobility looking down on it? Equivalents of those should exist), and sheer desperation would drive me mad to make some of the more primitive tools and ideas a reality( from modern POV) to ease my life ( like making wineyards with grapevines encouraged to grow up so I don't fuck up my back before early thirties, not kept low, and space them out so it would be easier to take care of ).

The real deal is what the fantasy parts bring to the table? If I myself can easily use magic ( even if it is merely that typical jp cliche of 4 elements telekinetic manipulation) there would be a lot of tricks to work on and pass on to family and fellow villagers. No matter where you are, you need other people and having them grateful to your family while you are alive is a good aid in case of small disasters or enjoying your life.

The real smoothness killer is lazyness. You can be a rager, a drunkard, a spiteful tongued bastard and all of those would merely make rumors spread about you or form some small feud between families the rest of the village would get used to. But nobody wants anything with an outcast, especially one who used to be considered part of the community before a great flaw like this. Because while it is not all backbreaking work, there are always jobs for everyone besides small children to do. And refusing to do shit means you don't get shit aside from whatever you can scrounge up, steal or beg for.

On the other coinside, being smart and bringing benefits with ideas will get you seen different. Aloof and someone to be brought problems to, to be treated with respect. Doctors, healers, priests, scholars and wisemen were very good positions to hold in a place, but only for one of each.

Having multiple ones would bring comparisons and where one educated man was the local teacher occasionally gifted with local foods and such, the other was a wash out people just found weird. Where one priest was a spreader of God's word and a shepherd for the locals, another was a bane and test to be endured with his quirks and weird requests politely ignored or deflected.

As to how I got all this? Some of these dynamics are still alive and can be seen like when I visit villages my parents were born and brought up in, hearing their stories, and we, currently living in suburbia still use small gas tanks for cooking ( nothing makes it clearer on how behind your corner of the world is than hearing a web author from China describe gas tanks ( which are an everyday thing to you) as relics of the past in rather rural villages, or realizing " wait a minute, we only got sewers couple years ago! We used pits and periodic draining services before that where foreign people only trouble is old piping and changing them".)

There is also a dead comedy writer whose work is due to such slow progress still very familiar and can be read for fun ( instead of being stodgy necessary classics reading in school) and where the crazy/eccentric scholar, drunk doctor and other such characters on small islands or secluded villages resemble the previously mentioned actual village situations.

It's a land of old and new. There is internet and capital has optic cables and stuff while preserving its very old building looks ( some with old innards as well like national archive too), cafes next to plots of land with olive trees or gardens with produce to be changed in fall into specialties that keep well throughout winter, medicinal alcohol and plain varieties claimed to be medicinal,.....

It's why the minutiae of this question are what pops in my mind you set. Because I still see them every day in 21st century. Can you imagine not having a toilet paper or a bidet? No refrigerator? No tons of books, modern media no plenty of time for yourself and your spiritual peace?

It can be peaceful to get away from everything. But's a short state of affairs. What about years and decades of being able to only roam near your birthplace, none to low opportunities to make a place for yourself in the dynamics of another village, town, country because foreigners were prime victim material to be tortured and squeezed?

There's a very good reason Adventurer Guild is a staple of fantasy? It's the refuge of wanderlust and oddbirds, the waypoint and worldwide home for those who can't settle on only ever having one shack their entire life.

So if its fantasy, I am either entrenching locally with benefits of modern thinking and conforming a lot to differences where true locals won't budge or hightailing it out on the first merc job that would take me and not care if I ran away from monsters and bandits because I am weak and not strong(yet).

A good cover of a "simple" isekai like this is Tough Another World Reincarnation with MC Reurus. 10 chapters of shitty hardworking second life, parents dead and sold to slavery, escapes thanks to a monster attack and after almost dying to a horned rabbit monster only then do the Laval's(abandoned town apparently) vigilanted recognise him as "adventurer". He wasn't handed a weapon or trained. A malnourished, unarmed, desperate man killed a weakass monster due to braining it repeatedly with a nearby rock and having presence of mind to gather firewood as thanks to the innkeeper who fed him the day earlier. The offer to joina guild came later.

nyamachi likes this.
  14. nyamachi

nyamachi [Chaos Twin :3] [Melo fanclub member]

Reading List:
    Link
    Hm~ something to do with psychology? That could apply in any world I suppose.

Greater thunder likes this.
  15. Greater thunder

Greater thunder Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You would have to couch it in some way so the patient has faith in your process. So you would actually need at least half a charlatan's skills for your actual work to even begin ( the bombast, way with words, reading people,....)

Because what matters is that you get paid, the patient is treated and who cares what he thinks you did to fix him up as long as it all turned out okay?

nyamachi likes this.
  16. DiabolicGod

DiabolicGod Well-known lazy Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If I am still young there, then anything mechanical to do with cog wheels that they don't already have a better or just as good thing of. If I am not young, then maybe novels? There is lots of stuff that depends on the circumstances and just as much that you won't think of right now

nyamachi and Raven Evernight like this.
  17. Bachingchung

Bachingchung Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    That's difficult, since a medieaval era where nobles basically the only population who have buying power, I have no idea what would they like. Also, I'm afraid that they could easily buy me or abduct me since they're also the law on their territories. So I'll end up with powering up first to get stronger, however that would need money as well. Long story short, I'd be dead on a ditch somewhere because I'll probably off myself from the culture shock, for being too reliant on modern technology.

18. Joospinch

Joospinch Don't click my avatar!!!

Reading List:
    Link
    If im not the offspring of some duke or king then i quit.

randomilo likes this.
  19. Gitami

Gitami Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Go with the bookworm method.
    Make paper, but beware of who you partner or upend, they may shank you and turn you into penny long porks in the slum.

20. powwder

powwder Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Ok I’m assuming it’s like IRAS or something similar where you go to a similar world around 20-30 years in the past. In this case if I had no system or cheat i would simply become the king of Internet and memes and trends. I would basically become a better PewDiePie because with zero resources that would be the only way to make lots of money and start anything. After making money I would write songs for artists and create TV shows because my superficial knowledge of these would be good enough to be successful. For example I can start iron chef, or the voice or America’s got talent. I wouldn’t need super in depth knowledge for these things because the concept would be good enough.

if I had a cheat system then the answer is obviously plagiarize anything and everything . Books would be first since it’s the easiest. You just copy it word for word and instant success. Create a recording company and music comes next. Create a movie studio and movies go after that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.