I'm in the middle of my draft and am thinking about adding something to the start

Discussion in 'Author Discussions' started by LockedPuppet, Jun 13, 2020.

Tags:
  1. LockedPuppet

LockedPuppet From the void, the circus horns~

Reading List:
    Link
    This is just a general question since it's a major problem I have. Basically I started off a story where the plot begins right in the middle of a strange phenomenon happening in an old village. This phenomenon occurs at a specific time of day and the village becomes desolate and quiet and which contrasts with the village normally being crowded and lively. The MC is the only one that notices this and has some strange connection to it that's implied by their behavior, hobbies, and interactions with the other villagers.

Initially, I thought it would be a good idea to start the story right in the middle of that supernatural event and afterward show what the village is like normally, because I didn't want the beginning to drag on for too long. However, some part of me thinks that it would be better to establish the what normal life is like in the village first, establish the MC and the foreshadowing that comes with them, and then after all of that show off the supernatural event in order to create a creepy contrast.

This would make it easier to introduce the supernatural elements later on, but I'm not sure if I should restructure it that way. Thoughts?

In addition, not finished writing the draft. Should I go back and this part to the beginning or wait until I finish and then add it? Some part of me thinks that if I wait until I finish to add it, the story will feel awkward to add on to. Thank you! Your advice will be appreciated!

2. Hidetaka Miyazaki

Hidetaka Miyazaki Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I think you should establish the world first. But somehow do it while introducing the supernatural elements. I have no idea what I'm saying but yeah that's my reply

3. Echopelt

Echopelt Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    maybe have a prologue starting with a scene in the village after/during the supernatural thingy but instead of names do "the man/woman/something else" and later on in the story the reader comes across that scene again but this time in more detail and stuff. it would be better to start off with world building just so there will be less loopholes later on imo

4. Feng Tian

Feng Tian Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You HAVE to start with the normal life, else it makes no sense whatsoever. Two to three paragraphs, set the tone correctly.

LockedPuppet likes this.