Recommendations I'm looking for something without excessive plot armor.

Discussion in 'I'm Looking For...' started by Perfect, Sep 23, 2016.

1. Perfect

Perfect Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm looking for something that is well written rather than just entertaining.
    Not something with excessive plot armor, repetitiveness or just the authors wish fulfillment.

I can agree that novels similar to Against the Gods, Martial God Asura or Tales of Demons and Gods might be entertaining but I think most can agree that they aren't well written.

So far the only one I've read that fit this is "A Step into the Past".

Note that it doesn't have to be Wuxia although I prefer it.
    If you know a good well written Chinese novel with a genre of drama, romance and/or slice of life then please recommend it.
    Though no horror or excessive comedy.
    ----------------------------------------------------
    What I and most people mean by plot armor isn't that the main character won't die.
    It means that instead of something reasonable happening to explain how the main character survives some danger the author can't think of something good and just puts in a meteor that crashes on all the bad guys head or the one in millennia slumbering god wakes up and saves the hero for no reason at all...

So what I'm asking for isn't a tragedy where the main character (or his family) dies in the first sentence. I'm asking for something well written where you don't want to strangle the author because he can't write.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2016
    thymee likes this.
  2. OverlyFriendly

OverlyFriendly I should do something about

Reading List:
    Link
    Not an Novel on NU, but on fictionpress

It's called mother of learning and nearly has 60 chapters. updates every month and the chapters are much longer than the usual we see on here. well-written, entertaining, no excessive plot armour, not much repetitiveness and it doesnt seem like wish fulfillment

earthdrake likes this.
  3. Aternus

Aternus Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Then go read english novels. Unless its non-fantasy or a tragedy every novel on here is basically plot armored

4. NaM

NaM 『♔ Re dell'appostarsi』(The GentleMaN)

Reading List:
    Link
    Read some wuxia..

5. Sircus

Sircus [Well-Known God]

Reading List:
    Link
    Well... check all the tags that has tragedy in it, that's what usually happens when people lack plot armor.

6. BlackBlade

BlackBlade Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Check out Warlock of the Magus World, basically zero plot armor or random powerups in the middle of a fight for that MC. He has to outplot all of his opponents to win and everyone is pretty ruthless. He isn't an idiot and won't fight enemies more powerful than himself, but rather find methods to escape and only return for revenge when he's powerful enough to get it. If he kills someone he will make sure it's in an isolated location and done in such a way no one can find out who did it. If he really has to kill someone, and it can't be totally covered up, he will atleast make sure people wont be able to figure out it was him for a long period of time.

7. PotatoZero

PotatoZero Well-known Potato

Reading List:
    Link
  8. anhrefn

anhrefn [NTR Sect Leader]       [True Ancestor]

Reading List:
    Link
    MadHatter and Navazishmh like this.
  9. thymee

thymee Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
  10. Perfect

Perfect Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    What I and most people mean by plot armor isn't that the main character won't die.
    It means that instead of something reasonable happening to explain how the main character survives some danger the author can't think of something good and just puts in a meteor that crashes on all the bad guys head or the one in millennia slumbering god wakes up and saves the hero for no reason at all...

So what I'm asking for isn't a tragedy where the main character (or his family) dies in the first sentence. I'm asking for something well written where you don't want to strangle the author because he can't write.

11. Rreelentless

Rreelentless Captain Sheriff Admiral Colonel Major General

Reading List:
    Link
  12. LaDyViL

LaDyViL New Member Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Mushoku Tensei
    -it's really good, sad happy fluff touched everything is in there. Get tissues for the last chapter. It's sad but fitting.

Navazishmh likes this.
  13. pukeofhurl

pukeofhurl The Philosopher

Reading List:
    Link
    Death March lol he doesnt really have plot armour hes just like as strong as a god from the start and it takes him awhile to figure that out granted its a slice of life comedy rather than battle type novel

14. strixflash

strixflash Dao Seeker!

Reading List:
    Link
    Xian Ni. MC only survives because of his wits.

15. loeghaz

loeghaz Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If you can allow a little bit of horror, Try Terror Infinity. In the beginning you can see no plot armor at all.
    It's not horror per se, but a little bit of gore and tragedy I guess?
    The story is really good. One of my fav Novel here. There's fighting, drama, and a little bit of romance.
    Lot of movies reference. So if you want a full enjoyment, I suggest watch the movie reference before the arc.

16. darkLoki

darkLoki Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
  17. earthdrake

earthdrake Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I Shall Seal the Heavens and A Though Through Eternity are excellente both but they have some plot armor.
    History Number 1 Founder is well written and has very little plot armor (it even makes a few jokes about that).
    Mother of Learning has a perfectly fundamented plot armor (he revives over and over again) however you can consider it part of the story and not an "armor/life saving thing" however not on Novel updates.
    Great Tang Idyl, A Mistaken Marriage Match Military Counselor (though the others are almost the same).
    I am the Monarch and World of Cultivation (both have some plot armor but can be neglected).
    However to be fair, all novels have a plot armor of somekind. Wuxia/Xianxia novels in particular, they will always find XXX to counter YYY from before. In some novels it takes longer (I Shall Seal the Heavens takes several HUNDRED chapters to get rid of something he found very early) and pops up in several moments.

18. 12kucingputih

12kucingputih Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Release the witch and transcending the nine heaven