Imagine your world without money...

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by cap.toon, Mar 17, 2019.

1. Kikiji

Kikiji May or may not be here

Reading List:
    Link
    The source of frustration isn't money but the accumulation of wealth, aka possessions. But to stop the accumulation of wealth, we would have to revert to our hunter-gatherer way of life in which we would constantly travel in smalls bands of 5 to 30 people (yes there are reasons for those numbers) in search of more food. Due to the constant traveling, what we're able to bring with us would be very limited and things like gems, that don't have a practical use, would be abandoned because no one's stupid enough to carry dead weight on the go.

There's a deeper explanation of how the hunter-gatherer ways from centuries ago worked (before the agricultural revolution, which some claim to be the worst thing that happened to humans and yeah my whole class looked at my teacher like he's some crazy weirdo who's going to sprout conspiracy theories left and right but his explanations actually made a lot of sense- can't say I buy it completely yet though, since I haven't and don't plan on learning/researching the topic at the moment) but anyway I'm no expert. Long story short, for this to work we would need to kill off about 7 billion of the human population. Plus we already ruined the Earth so uh, even if 7 billion somehow dropped dead, we probably won't be able to live comfortably by relying on the Earth again.

AMissingLinguist likes this.
  2. Yunchii

Yunchii Best Waifu - Tamamo-no-Mae

Reading List:
    Link
    Doraemon, is that you? lend me that "what if" telephone.

[​IMG]

There's one episode where Nobita asked for world without money if I'm not mistaken

3. mmsupreme

mmsupreme How do I change my custom title?

Reading List:
    Link
    You will quickly fall into a situation where information is even more guarded. If i have to give a pig to get a semester's worth of education for each subject then why dont i just go online. If i was in construction and building/fixing roads if there was no government then who would actively support my services. Do i have to carry tanks of food and water to bring home and get 3 accountants who are jobless to do inventory. Money just makes shit convenient

4. Asdq

Asdq RSS FEED SECT! I WANT YOU FOR THE RSS ARMY!

Reading List:
    Link
    "Barter? Would big and profitable trades exist?"
    The same thing, you grow up animals and trade it making proft.
    "What are the incentive for people to form government?"
    Power.
    "Would the world be a better place without money?"
    Nope, the world is a worse place without money and without capitalism. Trust me. You lives today better than a king
    "Or would there be more enslavement, injustice, and poverty? "
    Enslament is a normal thing, wars create slaves and etc, injustice is normal and richness is acumulation.

Serious, are you 12 years old?

Last edited: Mar 17, 2019
  5. Asdq

Asdq RSS FEED SECT! I WANT YOU FOR THE RSS ARMY!

Reading List:
    Link
    You shouldn't blame the money, you should blame the government, the State. They make the people stay poor, they make injustice, they make the people slave for serve the State. So, the real question is "What would it be like if there is no State?" Definitely a better place.

6. fuzor100

fuzor100 Standby mode...

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't need to imagine it. If I'm not working then I have no money and it suck!

:blobtaco::blobtaco::blobtaco::blobtaco::blobtaco::blobtaco::blobtaco::blobtaco:
    :blobdog::bloblove::blobcatblush::blobcatcop::blobcurse::blobflag::blobnobully::blobgift::blobsneeze:

7. All mighty Asian

All mighty Asian Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Global peace

8. deanadiktus

deanadiktus day-night reversal

Reading List:
    Link
    Civilization will be stagnant... Or at some point of time there will be mass death due to being dependent to the resources available to the people... Reminds me of the movie In Time, they don't use money but time of their life itself

9. tak

tak ignorant but well-meant

Reading List:
    Link
    while this is logical and promotes productivity & kindness, my brain just goes:
    Baby cries at midnight. Bad. Baby barf. Bad. Baby poop anywhere. Bad.
    3 years old have -254819 points

10. BigBadBoi

BigBadBoi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Fuck that world. What about my dream of bitchslapping someone with a giant wad of cash, huh?!

11. krossite

krossite Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Like what most people already said, money is just a tool to trade, and it makes economy much easier than barter system. With money, you can get a measure of your work's worth and trade that for other's quite easily, saving time and effort for everyone and allow them to do something else other than constantly going between working and finding people to trade. Money also rarely decreased in value like food or animal that can spoiled or die. Any "points" that'd represent your work's worth would be count as "money", since it'd become a tool to trade things with.

So, world without money would be a bunch of small tribes that everyone work for the good of their tribe, and as time goes by, there'd be accumulation of power and wealth in small group of people, which leads to more power and wealth in society, and that'd lead to measures to represent and transfer wealth and power, which leads to invention of currency and money, anyway.

12. Bias

Bias Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You want to be orks from 40k then. They basically have universal basic income.

13. GDLiZy

GDLiZy Wise Deepsea Mermaid

Reading List:
    Link
    Now you can bitchslap them with your everyday product like meat! Beat your meat on them! :blobhyperthink:

14. Shio

Shio Moderator Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    That's great. To make it easier maybe we could make the points in physical form. Something light, easy to make while not easy to duplicate. Since it must be easy to carry, I think it's better to use parchment/paper/plastic. Hmmm that idea sounds awfully familiar

15. lnv

lnv ✪ Well-Known Hypocrite

Reading List:
    Link
    I knew someone would misunderstand, I am not talking about using up points. If you buy a TV, you don't lose any points.

The best way to describe it is membership tiers. The higher points you have, the higher tier you get and the more things you can get in an allocated time.

The points I'm talking about is NOT a currency.

Kind of like this:

1000 points - tier 1 (monthly)
    30 copper level items (items costing $1-10)
    10 bronze level items (items costing $15-$50)
    5 silver level items (items costing $100 - $200)
    1 gold level items (items costing $500-$1000)
    1 copper level apartment

2000 points - tier 2 (monthly)
    100 copper level items (items costing $1-10)
    50 bronze level items (items costing $15-$50)
    10 silver level items (items costing $100 - $200)
    3 gold level items (items costing $500-$1000)
    1 bronze level apartment

And so on... when you do positive things, you get points, negative things you lose points. But every month points go down/up back to 1000.(not fully)

So if I have 1200 points in march, if I do nothing I would have 1100 points in april. Or if I had 800 points in march and do nothing, I'll have 900 points in april.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2019
  16. vlue

vlue Jaded Isekai-Reader

Reading List:
    Link
    Nah uh, I don't have eyes that could tell what value an item is or convincing them it being of that value so i won't do well in barter system. So nope, let the money do the talking.

17. Reward

Reward Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Money is mostly based on trust. Bill is just a paper after all. People can pretty well take out fake money and as long as the other side don’t notice this is still « money ».
    I think in the future everyone will use their cards or phone to pay instead of papers/coins. Way quicker and accurate.
    Anyway i’m a bit off topic *cough*.

18. xylero

xylero Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I feel you....dont worry youre not alone

Femme Fatale likes this.
  19. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    it mean cats have so advance technology to point money become worthless
    what use of money if ya can made all thing you need by yourself?

that world without money on my mind

20. GDLiZy

GDLiZy Wise Deepsea Mermaid

Reading List:
    Link
    You mean cats have gone full communism.