Other Request Immortal?

Discussion in 'I'm Looking For...' started by Aqualistic, Jun 10, 2019.

1. Aqualistic

Aqualistic Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I am a chinese fantasy novels fan and am wondering how immortal gods pass away. I know immortal mean being indestructible and never dying, but Immortal dies in novels.
    My impression of Immortal is a being who can live forever, unless its soul is destroyed by other immortals.
    For example, Father Lord from 3 lives 3 world was an extraordinary high immortal god, but the novel said he “passed away,” not killed. So how he died?
    In xianxia novels, are immortals with just extremely long lifespan, but will still die one day due to natural death?

2. GoldenGoddess

GoldenGoddess ^.^

Reading List:
    Link
    Hmm...when new Gods take over the older Gods are forgotten. When a God is forgotten by mankind he ceases to exist and just fades away. This i gathered from various fictions i have read..take note my sources are FICTION.

3. Ojou-sama

Ojou-sama Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I believe he asked about chinese immortals and not about gods.

4. Kaminomikan

Kaminomikan 神のみ感

Reading List:
    Link
    depend the novel? some novels say they die reaching the end of their life span, others die fighting some other, some just disappear.

just remember they aren't invincible and are always looking for the secrets of et ernal life

Deleted member 155674 likes this.
  5. sgrey

sgrey Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    There are so many versions of immortals, that you have to refer to a specific novel about them. Very often an immortal is just someone who doesn't die from old age. It doesn't mean they won't die from wounds, illness, poison or whatever else. Like, if someone cuts off the head, then an immortal is pretty much done for. Maybe they commit suicide, maybe in their universe, there is a law that states immortal can only live for so long and then they get recycled/reincarnated or whatever. And sometimes people are just called "an immortal" because they are either super strong and no one can defeat them, or they just age very slowly. In some novels, an "immortal" spends all his energy/life force on something, like a super item/treasure and dies because of it, and it's called "passed away".

The problem with the immortal you are describing, which is indestructible, invincible and never dying is that they are literally becoming gods and plot devices. If they are evil, they cannot be defeated, if they are good, they can just solve all of the problems. Basically, the author has to pull some sort of illogical bullshit to kill them off or defeat them.

6. GoldenGoddess

GoldenGoddess ^.^

Reading List:
    Link
    well all the same

7. Ojou-sama

Ojou-sama Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Nope

8. Feng Tian

Feng Tian Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    1: CNs dont know what certain words mean. Genius, immortal, peerless. Just examples, the list is longer.
    2: There are different types of immortality. The one used in CNs is usually the (effectively) infinite lifespan one. Meaning they can be killed by outside means.
    3: Passed away can also means killed without anyone knowing what happened.

9. sgrey

sgrey Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I can list you quite a few novels where an immortal is literally a god, creating/managing universes. Desolate Era to start... I mean there are gods in some religions that are puppies in comparison to these guys, so I would call them gods.

10. GoldenGoddess

GoldenGoddess ^.^

Reading List:
    Link
    Whatever

11. jinxs2011

jinxs2011 [Rebel Against Normality][Writer of the Unusual]

Reading List:
    Link
    depends on the novel. Some of them, you get beyond a certain level and hey presto you can live forever, but in others it's just an increasingly long lifespan, sometimes to the extent of millions of years, but still not immortal and will pass away eventually, even if left alone.

12. Warlock Of The Void

Warlock Of The Void Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    From what I have gathered through various FICTION , is that more often than not it is just a title to refer to someone on a particular level of power , like Saint , Lord , etc . Depending on the novel or world with different rules of universe or power systems reaching such level means Extremely long lifespan , great power , rule over natural forces , etc. Some novels do have infinite lifespans but they r tied to that particular world i.e. if they leave that world or the world is destroyed they either die or r no longer immortal.
    Immortal by definition is just someone who doesn't die , so a literal immortal wouldn't necessarily be powerful just impossible to kill ( they r mostly present in comics or mangas )
    I mostly believe that in mandarin the word immortal is closely tied to godhood considering their mythology and immortal is just the closest tld we have of the word with that meaning ( I can't say for sure , I don't know mandarin ) . Considering all this the immortal in CN is not a real immortal just a real powerful being

13. jinxs2011

jinxs2011 [Rebel Against Normality][Writer of the Unusual]

Reading List:
    Link
    Overlap between two things does not equate two things. There are also novels quite a few novels where immortals use swords. By your logic, that means all people who use swords are immortals.

14. Lazriser

Lazriser Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't know who is that, but from my speculation, it seems this cultivator died from lack of lifespan. Lifespan is life force and life force is energy. If we exclude the types of energy being used and refined, every cultivator needs energy to sustain their bodies, both physical and spiritual forms. Assuming this cultivator was not really killed and died from reaching the upper limit of energy expenditure, then yes, virtually this cultivator can live forever should the cultivator increase their cultivation or find an alternative to increasing lifespan.

Immortality does not mean eternity. An immortal is virtually undying by conventional means, since this is what separates a mortal and an immortal. An eternal I suppose, would be an immortal that has reached beyond the upper limit of immortality as a whole, or perhaps is bound no more to the concept of lifespan. Meaning, this cultivator indeed has infinite, limitless, or immeasurable supply of energy to maintain the cultivator's existence.

All in all, its a matter in the difference of information and which dimensional concept is said information's core originates and ends in.

15. whitenight2013

whitenight2013 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Generally I think when they say Immortal they mean they never die from natural causes. They never age, never get sick, that kind of thing.

16. Doomr

Doomr Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It’s from 三生三世十里桃花. More commonly known as Eternal Love. The tv series was really good btw :cookie:

17. tsundere_taichou

tsundere_taichou [Cute Demon Sect]

Reading List:
    Link
    im suprised ANYONE dies of old age in xianxia novels considering the amount of bullshit people pull, "oh i see you have some resources, hand over everything and this daddy will let you live" "these 300 000 demon sects all prey on other cultivators with devious plots such as seduction, poisoning and illusions" "this other cultivation sect thats "on the good side" is gonna band up with some others to destroy you cuz you being better than them is obviously a slight to them and is pretty much spitting in their face"