Immortally is it possible

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by EvilMc, May 19, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. perspherspley

perspherspley IZ*ONE

Reading List:
    Link
    1. If you're a religious people, once you die you'll achieve immortality automatically so you won't need to wait for it to happen in the future.
    2. I don't think immortality will be available, or possible in the future, even the stars have a lifespan.

2. saffu

saffu dead

Reading List:
    Link
    It would be interesting to hear an explanation on why immortality is scientifically impossible, though.

Like time travel. I don't think anyone ever saw that as anything but science fiction, but it's always interesting to hear why.

EvilMc likes this.
  3. Lagu

Lagu Love Me

Reading List:
    Link
    I belieeveeeee i can flyyyyy i believe i can touch the skyyyyy!! PLACEBO EFFECT!!

4. LordCorwin

LordCorwin Supreme Book Lord; Leader of the Fiction Faction

Reading List:
    Link
    What does a star going nova have to do with immortality. It would be exactly the same situation for a regular mortal, extra-solar travel or die. You couldn't even complain about not living out your lifespan, because the argument would be the same for the mortal, simply the perspective on longevity would be different.

I'd be more worried about immortality if, let's say nuclear holocaust, mutant bugs taking over the world, then they find out you are a true immortal, nothing can kill you, only diminish you, in which case, you just became their unending food supply, allowing them to breed without end. (yes, that was from Tales from the Nightside)

EvilMc likes this.
  5. EvilMc

EvilMc 『Reformed』

Reading List:
    Link
    Exactly @sapphle
    That what I was thinking after my friend told why is it impossible

6. Jaded

Jaded Majoring in Erology

Reading List:
    Link
    1)Immortality in the near future? Lol. This question so ridiculous that it made me laugh.

2) Natural immortals? No idea. Tell me if you find one.

7. zenla

zenla { Totally human being} {Kingdom building fanatic}

Reading List:
    Link
    Personally I believe you are/might be immortal until you are killed. Obviously don t check that the chance is way too low.
    Seriously though the problem with immortality is the body. It ages it breaks. What you can exchange is always too little to matter in really long run. And even if you can keep body fairly new it still can be easily killed so yeah no immortality.

8. saffu

saffu dead

Reading List:
    Link
    Oops, I didn't mean immortality. I meant eternal life.

9. erickson678

erickson678 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    true immortality is impossible because it means you can't die but everything dies what can be achieved is a pseudo immortality which is just eternal youth

10. EvilMc

EvilMc 『Reformed』

Reading List:
    Link
    Ashame I'm who wouldn't want to stay young and healthy forever. Any there was this movie earlier today about a 14 thousand year old caveman living in a modern world talking about his experience from van Gogh painting him pictures to him becoming a Buddhist and the somehow ending up as jesus.

Sordahon and LordCorwin like this.
  11. LordCorwin

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't think there is an actual scientific basis for immortality being completely impossible, at the very least, there could be extreme longevity, which to someone passing by in the river of time, would seem to be immortality. In that case, it's simply a case of your telomeres producing copies with 99.9% accuracy. These are a major part of the aging process. Each copy is a little worse than the one before, which causes aging, and the eventual shutdown of biological systems once the copies get so bad, they can't retain the original function. But with a perfect or near perfect copy, if you took care of yourself, ie. healthy living within reason, you could conceivably live forever, or so long as to be indistinguishable to anyone not possessing of actual immortality.

I remember that movie, it was good, especially when they found the painting at the end and realized he was telling the truth.

EvilMc likes this.
  12. Ratatoskr

Ratatoskr [Aruruu's proud dad] [The False Gentleman]

Reading List:
    Link
    "So long as men can breathe, or eyes can see,
    So long lives this, and this gives life to thee." - shakespeare, sonnet 18

“Behind this mask there is more than just flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea... and ideas are bulletproof.” - V

13. rdawv

rdawv The Ancient of Lore

Reading List:
    Link
    "Who wants to live forever? Who dares to love forever?"
    --Queen

DocB likes this.
  14. ABMAINA

ABMAINA ★☆☆☆☆

Reading List:
    Link
    We have already reached immortality... What ever you've ever wrote, posted, uploaded online is saved in cyberspace for all time... So in a way you're immortal...

15. tehrealone

tehrealone 『Lurker』

Reading List:
    Link
    I remember reading a fantasy novel that had immortal beings in it.
    But the immortal beings eventually went mad due to overload of memories.
    Makes quite a bit of sense, unless you advance the brain then how are you going to store like 5k worth of memories.
    Btw even if humans forget something, Im pretty sure its not totally forgotten, just the majority of it.

16. feyrin

feyrin Night time tyrant

Reading List:
    Link
    No
    And
    No
    It is possible to become immortal(through tech) but in the near future it is probably(since I don't have future sight) not going to happen.
    Even when it does become possible it will prices probably be hidden or illegal due to politics, avarice, and the finite amount of resources we have and will ever have access to. After all with billions of immortals ruining around the known universe sooner rather than later we our "well" will run for out

17. salox

salox Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Lobsters and certain Jellyfish are biologically immortal. There are also human cells that are immortal and are used to study the effects of certain things on human cells. All Cancer cells are immortal. We pretty much know how and why things are biologically immortal (they wont die of old age and can continue on forever unless killed by something) and can even make cells immortal with relative ease. But that's pretty much where it stops, at the cellular level.

18. LordCorwin

Reading List:
    Link
    You're talking about memory recall, all memories that make it from the short term to the long term memory stay in the synapses of the brain, we just have trouble recalling them, hence I forgot this or that, but later on you "remember" it.

tehrealone likes this.
  19. lichdeath

lichdeath undead meatbun ^^

Reading List:
    Link
    answer no and yes
    intelligent beings with a physical brain can not become immortal due to physics we can not store our infinite memories of whom we are thus we would slowly die and become forgetfull of ourselves and thus dying that way
    then we have immortality in the way of other people remembering you
    but there is a jellyfish that is physically immortal tough since it has no brains it dies easily
    and even if wed manage to become immortal at some point our brains would shut down due to mental death we experience everything there is to experience and achieve a state of psycho pass pure indifference to everything

20. Ryuubii

Ryuubii Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    In the near future, I don't think so, but it's scientificly possible.

If someone can find a way to stop the aging of the body cells, it's possible to reach it.

P.S: my definition of immortal is that the body doesn't age or die in time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.