Discussion Imperial God Emperor Quality Rant

Discussion in 'Novel Discussion' started by Arcadial, Apr 21, 2017.

?

Would you rather drop a series than read a bad translation?

1. Yes I would drop it

87.5%
  2. No I would read the translation

12.5%
  1. Arcadial

Arcadial Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Somehow I missed the first chapter put out by wuxiadreams for this previously great novel, but seeing it show up today on NU I was excited because it was one of my favorite novels to read. Upon clicking the link and reading the first few paragraphs, I rolled out of bed so I could post a rant from my computer, because I knew it would be a hassle to say everything I was feeling with my phones keyboard.

Is this MTL? Is this edited? Are some translators so interested in pumping out chapters for potential ad revenue and donations that they lose all respect for the literary value of the original work? A long time ago, back when ATG was on chapter 67, I wanted to try to MTL to read ahead, and this was either before lnmtl existed or I was just unaware of it. Either way, I looked up some translations tips and got to work. I downloaded systran and some other software where you could write really basic script lines to replace keywords that you defined in a .txt file. I looked at the raws of previous chapters side by side with the translation, found the Chinese characters for stuff like Yun Che and other proper nouns, and gave it a shot. Some of the words I knew were off, so I would count how many words into a sentence they were, find the corresponding Chinese character/characters, and run it through like 3 different translation sites (bing, google translate, and one other I don't remember) and then I would pick what fit best. After editing it with my English skills, I had a somewhat legible chapter. A day or two later, the translation came out on alyschu's wordpress or WW, and while mine was obviously MTL'd, it wasn't that awful comparing the two, basically just proper nouns were messed up.

You might ask, why did I write all that? Because the chapter I MTL'd myself with no knowledge of Chinese grammar sounded better to me as an English reader than the chapter put out of IGE earlier. Phrases like "who was waiting for him like the wishing stars and the moon", does this mean waiting like the stars wait for the moon to come out? Waiting like someone who longs to see the stars and the moon illuminate the sky? Because in the context its just pretty sounding nothing. Then there was this whole set of sentences that just sound so wrong

"After Lu Zhaoge had come back with a group of people, he went back to his quiet room to carry out his cultivation.

It was a big and complicated work to use the Supreme ice flame to help Lu Zhaoge eliminate the curse and the dark flame power. It was not easy for Lu Zhaoge to dispose his own drop of fresh blood inside of those peculiar powers. Even though Lu Zhaoge’s competency had increased significantly, dealing with those two peculiar powers required an extremely diverse experience as well as an uttermost precaution.

It was good to have Lu Zhaoge’s help during this process."

I looked up the raws and just threw it into bing translator because I knew something was wrong, and low and behold, "It was not easy for Lu Zhaoge to dispose his own drop of fresh blood inside of those peculiar powers. Even though Lu Zhaoge’s competency had increased significantly, dealing with those two peculiar powers required an extremely diverse experience as well as an uttermost precaution." Both places where it refers to Lu Zhaoge here are actually refering to Ye Quingyu. If you dont believe me, 叶青羽 is Ye Qingyu and 陆朝歌 is Lu Zhaoge, and the link to the raw is http://www.yutianshendi.com/252.html. This is worse than MTL????? This whole paragraph lost its meaning because the translator just wrote the wrong name twice, because clearly they don't even read the story or they would know it was Ye Qingyu who was purifying the blood drop.

This kind of just improper wording and plot ran rampant in the chapter, and honestly its disrespectful to the original author and to the work of the previous translator. Even if Aran did put out a chapter a month for the last few months, and everyone complained about the release speed, is this a better alternative???? If I wanted to read this kind of writing I would be at lnmtl not NU. At least when a new translator took over Murdering Heaven Edge, they prefaced it saying they were not great at English and would work to improve. This is just unedited garbage put out for what I can only assume is a revenue source for the people who "translated" it.

So that is my rant. Reading the chapter left a sour taste in my mouth. I am interested in other's opinions about the future of IGE and other translations that are similar to this. Has WW skewed my expectations too much and I should just act grateful for the scraps that I get? Also btw before you call me a beggar or leecher, I have donated to IGE before when Aran was translating.

TL\DR read the post, its a novel forum and we both know you have nothing better to do.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
  2. phong79

phong79 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    holy wall of text

3. Arcadial

Reading List:
    Link
    I was mad.

Westeller, Lord Meh Meh and phong79 like this.
  4. Basara

Basara [Cat and co.] [Nyan] [Furry and Fluffy]

Reading List:
    Link
    TLDR he don't like bad grammar.... Probably, I didn't read it. Too long.

5. Allchemic

Allchemic Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes, I would drop it, just like I dropped TTNH... Novels Saga translation is so bad, but so bad, that it even makes me puke blood.

vyragd and InvincibleDespair like this.
  6. Haevrus

Haevrus No.1 Incognito Webuser

Reading List:
    Link
    tl: dr- I dint even bother to read that wall of yours. But. Why complain when you are getting it for free. It was dropped for days before someone picked up. You should be happy instead. Better to read something then none at all. And be patient, maybe they will get a better editor later on.

Ardavix likes this.
  7. Blitz

Blitz ⛈️ awakened from the reverie❄️

Reading List:
    Link
    These guys are a bunch of poachers too. Trying to steal DD from bagelson and DD2.5 from wujigege.

Jaspaaar, Setra, Westeller and 3 others like this.
  8. Arcadial

Reading List:
    Link
    Feel free to read the last sentence I wrote. If someone offered me free water that they urinated in, when I had previously been buying clean fresh bottled water, should I say thank you???

Setra, zman, zeus and 1 other person like this.
  9. Loriel

Loriel [Aspiring Editor][Lover of BL][Pinata Smasher]

Reading List:
    Link
    Maybe you should translate instead if what you can do is better :3

Danis likes this.
  10. Haevrus

Haevrus No.1 Incognito Webuser

Reading List:
    Link
    But when the clean crystal clear water gets drained due to pollution one day, like in real world and you only have a pond. Will you still throw your tantrum?

11. rodusk123

rodusk123 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Tbh, I haven't really been a fan of Wuxiadreams also. God of Slaughter TL has been all over the place. One minute it's decent and then next it's hardly readable. I'm also not fond of the colour format they have on their chapters so I change it to dark theme and also the font is a bit big for me so I change that to small. I like sites that have those options but the unfortunate thing is, those options do not stay when you click the next chapter. You have to manual change them every time. It almost feels like how bad XianxiaWorld was when they first started up their site and it took them months to improve.

12. Danis

Danis {(Harem Sect Leader)}{Trickster}&{Lurker}

Reading List:
    Link
    well maybe Translator is still newby you cant expect every translation is great like WW or other big site Translator but i agree IGE translator need Editor

13. asomeCokkies

asomeCokkies [Eternal Quest for Epubs]

Reading List:
    Link
    Is this true? So sad if so, the quality was part of the reason why I loved it.

14. Jigoku Shounen

Jigoku Shounen An Envoy From Hell

Reading List:
    Link
    So just dropped it. Bad translation that made no sense is the same as reading a Bad Fanfic that the Author Didn't even know the Original and just Wrote it for some popularity.

15. chencking

chencking [Daolord Grammar Nazi]

Reading List:
    Link
    I dropped King of Myriad Domains for exactly that reason. A promising novel got ruined by crappy MTLs that couldn't even bother keeping in order

16. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    hmm drop or not is depend on story cuz well I used reading via google translate way before that really good upgrade tsu~:LOL::LOL:

Enryu022 and Danis like this.
  17. chencking

chencking [Daolord Grammar Nazi]

Reading List:
    Link
    I'll filter muddy water before I drink someone's pee.

18. Arcadial

Reading List:
    Link
    This has nothing to do with the earlier topic, but I also have noticed on some websites randomly settings don't save when you click next chapter, I see it a lot on translationnation where it randomly will switch from light to dark, and on volare where you have to continually change the color when you hit next chapter, not to mention on volare when you click the font resize it just changes the font of the button to change font, not the actual text LOL

zeus likes this.
  19. rodusk123

rodusk123 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Didn't even notice that on volare, that is actually hilarious. It's like a year around april fool's prank.

20. Astaroth

Astaroth empty

Reading List:
    Link
    I have a hard time believing that a large potion of NUF-ers even read novels (or anything besides wall posts) at all so I'm sure they're not bothered :whistle: